LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help choosing a cam...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 05:26 PM

Re: Help choosing a cam...

Originally Posted by 3DFORMULA
This is clearly not the head YOU showed a picture of, saying it is YOUR(top of the line) head. If you cannot see the difference between the 2 different heads that YOU have shown we CANNOT help you. I showed you a picture of my 200cc Advanced Induction ported stock castings, RamAir did as well, I believe. We are just trying to let you see what the difference is between a good port job and the pictures that you showed of your head. This pic you just showed ain't the same head as the first pic of your's.
It is the same head, but as I said I have shots from all the different stages so I am not sure which point that was.

If you are under the impression that I am taking pics I have found on the internet then you are wrong. I have a folder with 20+ pics and they are all of my heads and nobody elses.

A couple more...

Name:  LT1PolishedExhRunner.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  38.3 KB

I think it's clear here that the problem is many people do not like when somebody claims they have something that is "top of the line." Regardless of whether they are or not, there are people who will come into this thread and hate on the quality of heads and offer no input whatsoever as to what cams I should look at for my goals. People are more interested in putting things down, which is common on the internet.

Now I am under the impression that there is no real way to tell what is top of the line and what is not based on a picture and a flow chart. I will stick to what the professional says based on his reputation, and not what some people say over the internet based on what their guy told them.

I do not want to debate anymore whether or not they are top of the line or just average. If they are average, I do not care. If it hurts your butt that I believe I had quality work done, then hit the back button and beat off to a picture or your quality headwork.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
raroz28, you are biting the hand the feeds. 96capricemgr has offered up plenty of good information, most of which I completely agree with. I see no reason to repeat what he has explained. However you're rejecting that good information and insinuating that others don't understand; basically pushing away the few people on this board who are able and willing to help you.
I asked for basic information to try and assist in cam selection, regardless of the mediocre heads you had, and I still haven't got it.
This shows me you're not serious about figuring this out and I'm wasting my time trying.
-Dustin-
Dustin,

Once again you come at me with ignorance. You claim I am biting the hands that feed me, yet nobody is feeding me anything but putting down the quality of port work done, which I do not believe can be done based on a picture. If you believe that you can look at a picture of a head and know the quality of it, then you are probably underpaid at what you're doing.

You claim that 96capricemgr has offered me valuable information yet he has not said anything about what kind of cam I should be looking at, yet he only shot down what I had and tried to twist my words into "I just want to defend what I have." which is because of his own inability to comprehend what I was asking. He has not contributed anything to helping choose a cam, so what are you even talking about?

You claim that you asked for basic information and I have not given it, and once again you show your ignorance. You asked what rear gear I was running, static compression, ICL and quality of head work.

In reply, I said it was a stock rear for a 97 m6, and I posted pictures of the flow charts and cam card and even stated above the cam card that the ICL was "110." Perhaps you missed this but what you have stated above simply is not true.

I have offered up what I can to get help in choosing a cam, and of all the replies only a few people are actually making suggestions and are helpful. You are more interested, as you did in the past, at trying to poke holes and find faults in something instead of actually helping.

Is it because I left out the compression? It is stock compression. Because of that you are assuming that I am not serious and just want to waste time?

Some of you guys on this board are unbelievable. Reminds me of reading youtube comments. Regardless of the quality of the heads, at least try to help with a cam selection. Most people just come to comment on the heads. WTF??? Who does that?
Old 04-16-2012, 07:11 PM

Those pics do look like some good work has been done to them heads. The initial pic of your head was surely a very early stage pic. I do not desire to get into a pissing match about your heads. You surely would agree that your first pic was an early stage pic showing about nothing accomplished thus far. With that pic, and your statement of "top of the line" work quality, we just wanted to help you comprehend the difference.

You being meathead does not make my butt hurt. And at 46 years old, beating off to internet pics is not in my ball game.

About your cam:
It seems odd to me that the cam you have goes to 6800rpm. Has it been dyno'd? Is it showing that you are building power to that point? If you want less rpm range then the cam that those knowlegdeable guys suggested(xe503) would probably be good. You know, those guys you blew off as idiots. Maybe advance your cam a couple degrees.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:42 PM

Those pics do look like some good work has been done to them heads. The initial pic of your head was surely a very early stage pic. I do not desire to get into a pissing match about your heads. You surely would agree that your first pic was an early stage pic showing about nothing accomplished thus far. With that pic, and your statement of "top of the line" work quality, we just wanted to help you comprehend the difference.

You being meathead does not make my butt hurt. And at 46 years old, beating off to internet pics is not in my ball game.

About your cam:
It seems odd to me that the cam you have goes to 6800rpm. Has it been dyno'd? Is it showing that you are building power to that point? If you want less rpm range then the cam that those knowlegdeable guys suggested(xe503) would probably be good. You know, those guys you blew off as idiots. Maybe advance your cam a couple degrees.
I am not sure if it is actually making power up to 6800 but that is what Madtuner set the limiter at based on my cam and from what I can feel it does not run out of steam. But as far as a dyno goes, I have not had it up on one yet. I am hoping to do that this season for sure.

There is an MI Fbody club meeting every year at a dyno where you get like 3 pulls for $50 and I just never was able to get it done because of time. I am definitely doing it this year.

What gives you the impression that I blew them off as idiots? Dustin has come off as ignorant twice now in threads with me and as he is not afraid to call me out, I am not afraid to call him out. It's a mutual respect in the fact that what he pointed out was simply not true, and it's in black and white in this thread to see. He asked for basic information, and he got it. He is wrong to say he did not. I am not saying he is an idiot in choosing cams, I am saying what he said was ignorant in what he was trying to argue.

Now I have not attacked you personally, but as a 46 year old you call me a meathead. You are most definitely butt hurt. Sorry about that.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:30 PM

Well ya told me to beat off to my heads, that makes one think he's dealing with a meathead.

$50 for 3 pulls sounds pretty darn fair, I'd do that also.

I think you may have a good cam for your goal of low 12's high 11's, especially if you had a good rear added to the car. I am still thinking it may not actually be pulling way up there. Maybe your reading an incorrect tach. The dyno should tell the facts to ya.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:36 PM

Well ya told me to beat off to my heads, that makes one think he's dealing with a meathead.

$50 for 3 pulls sounds pretty darn fair, I'd do that also.

I think you may have a good cam for your goal of low 12's high 11's, especially if you had a good rear added to the car. I am still thinking it may not actually be pulling way up there. Maybe your reading an incorrect tach. The dyno should tell the facts to ya.
It definitely could be, as it is the stock tach I'm going by.

I definitely want to get it on the dyno and to the track before I swap the cams just to see what this one can do.

I am kind of concerned with running it at the track. I have suspension mods and I just got a set of Nitto 555's for the rear so I should grip up pretty well, I am just worried about the rear exploding.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by raroz28
It is the same head, but as I said I have shots from all the different stages so I am not sure which point that was.

If you are under the impression that I am taking pics I have found on the internet then you are wrong. I have a folder with 20+ pics and they are all of my heads and nobody elses.

A couple more...

I think it's clear here that the problem is many people do not like when somebody claims they have something that is "top of the line." Regardless of whether they are or not, there are people who will come into this thread and hate on the quality of heads and offer no input whatsoever as to what cams I should look at for my goals. People are more interested in putting things down, which is common on the internet.

Now I am under the impression that there is no real way to tell what is top of the line and what is not based on a picture and a flow chart. I will stick to what the professional says based on his reputation, and not what some people say over the internet based on what their guy told them.

I do not want to debate anymore whether or not they are top of the line or just average. If they are average, I do not care. If it hurts your butt that I believe I had quality work done, then hit the back button and beat off to a picture or your quality headwork.

I wasn't going to respond, but I must know who ported these heads. I absolutely must know how he ported them into LSX heads?

Please enlighten all of us morons...

....or just make up more BS, whichever suits you.

-Dustin-
Old 04-16-2012, 10:18 PM

I never noticed that. I have had this folder on my drive since 2006. Those are definitely LS1 heads.

You're still a d-bag though bro.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:23 PM

Nice try tho
Old 04-16-2012, 11:16 PM

Yes i see some quality D ports now but the first pix were hardly touched - what i'm looking for in a street head with minimal metal removal and intake runner size/cross section left alone. The later D port pix are a lot more work than the in the first pix. Well that round exhaust port is the wrong head. It sounds like your getting frustrated for knowing bigger ports/cam is not always better - its the full combination that has to work together to make a powerful car. Big cams with big heads/ports due make big power but behind stock torque converter, high gear freeway gearing on only 350" or 355" makes the car a three legged buffalo.
High velocity heads and a short/tight cam should make driving a stock drive-train a lot more fun. U don't have to take a beating for trying what makes sense to you - well it makes sense to me too. Its your thread and if someone becomes rude then report it to the mods and gett'm off the thread - don't try and argue with someone that is just looking at your mistakes. They will never quit or accept whats true or not true. I think you did make quite an effort to provide information and shouldn't have to defend everything. I don't see how someone can say they are helping u by making derogatory remarks. Heck how many hobbyists that swap heads ever measure their piston volumes - good luck if the short block remains in the car.
Anyways where are we now? We have some good pix and some bad pix. While u don't like the cam/head combo as is, others are telling u to go bigger ports. Can that possibly make sense??
U need to find what u have for compression now as this will tell u how much cam u have. If u have over 210psi (compression test cold) you are at max for street pump gas. Remember as u shorten the cam the intake vlv closes sooner and your compression pressure will increase. Hopefully your compression pressure now is 180psi or less and u can run a shorter cam.

Hopes this helps,
cardo0
Old 04-17-2012, 05:10 AM
Administrator

This whole thread has been thrown off track by posting confusing pictures. The first set was admittedly incorrect. Now there are questions being raised about the balance of the pictures. No one is "hating" on anything.... they are just confused by the inconsistant information. Agree - it's way off track, but it's the result of the info posted.

My suggestion as a Moderator is to abandon this thread and start over with the correct info up front. Otherwise, there is notning "reporting it to the mods" is going to accomplish.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:56 AM

No the problem is when you post up what looks like a stock head in the first post and claim its top of the line, when it was clearly not...it was just in early porting development phase...and then 3 pages into this thread you finally post up pics of a ported head that does look like it has had some quality work done...minus the ls1 head ports shown.....

Dont blame the forum for your mistake. You should have never posted the beginning stage pics but rather posted a pic of the finished port heads. Thats like a guy saying he has a fully built motor 550+ hp etc, then posting a pic of the engine bay with the stock 180K mile motor in it, all dirty and oiled over from years of abuse.

Besides all that, here is what you should do. Get the car on the dyno...see where the power band is. 6800 seems high but if the heads are good, theres no reason it can be peaking into the lower mid 6000 range and holding on to near 6800. But the dyno will show that.

Then decide what you want to do with the powerband. If you want to lower it, its as simple as cutting out duration. OR you can take your current cam and advance the crap out of it to move intake closing earlier and force powerband down.

Take your head information/data and dyno results with the current cam to a well known cam grinder and explain what you want to have happen. They will spec out a cam. Mike Jones, Bret Bauer, AI, Lloyd Elliott, Bullet cams, etc all have stuff that will work.

Happy motoring