LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help deciding on new brakes and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 08:51 AM

Talking Help deciding on new brakes and rotors

ok i have kind of narrowed my decisions down to a few unless you guys can give me even more decisions suggestions! i have looked and came to find some OE replacement solid one piece cast BREMBO rotors for the fronts for 106 a pair. im pretty stuck on those rotors because they are supposed to be better than stock and supposed to last longer more durable i hope. Have any of you guys used these rotors and if so how are they? my only other decision is to buy aimco or wearever or tru stop rotors from places like autozone, napa, and advance auto parts. probably autozone because i have used their stuff and it is pretty good. have you guys also had autozone/ other car parts places solid rotors and how do they hold up. like i said b4 i dont want cross drilled/slotted, i keep reading too many bad things about them unless they are 600+ dollars. ok now on my pads, i have decided on two different sets, the ebc greenstuff pads or the hawk performance pads. the ebc's i found for 99 and the hawks for 53. which ones are better and also do i need ceramic pads for the rotors because i think one website said that stock pads for our z28's are ceramix. which ones are good pads for length, durability and stopping power. hawk claims 20-30% better. i think. but what do you guys think. i want the best deal also, so if you guys have found cheaper places than the prices i quoted than i would greatly appreciate the info. the brembos would be coming from tirerack.com and the hawks from jegs and the ebcs from tirerack.com i dont know anyplace else that sells them thanks guys!
Old 07-03-2003, 09:52 AM

anyone can help me giv opinioons?? please!
Old 07-03-2003, 10:13 AM

When I did my brakes last year, I got a set of slotted rotors from Hawks Racing (off of Ebay, flame away) for $220, and I got EBC Greenstuff pads. My car now stops like my former 99 did. The pads are freakin brake machines, and I've had no trouble with them yet. Can't really say anything about them in the rain since the car doesn't see rain, but at the track they get very little fade, I put them through 34 hot--lapped runs one night.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:13 AM

Cost is at the top of you list. The Brembo stock replacements and Hawk pads sound pretty good. Make sure you put the same pads front and rear; don't mix.

As another pad option, Performance Friction carbon-metallic street pads are quite good. You can buy them @AutoZone or online with them as I do.

http://www.performancefriction.com/HwyParts/

TireRack has always done well for me. My vote is go with them for the rotors (and Hawk pads).
Old 07-03-2003, 10:37 AM

OLDSSTROKER have you ever used the brembos and hawks together or heard of others using them as being good because if they are i will probably go with taht set up i will probably be able to get it for under 200 for the front which sounds pretty affordable to me! and the ebc greenstuff pads, all that i have heard about them is good stuff so they must be good but they are about 57 bucks more is it worth it? i want to get the best stuff for the best price. and i think the brembo rotors are good from what brembo says and stuff they are 1 piece cast rotors isnt that better than the two piece? tahnsk guys
Old 07-03-2003, 12:18 PM

Just trying to get some more information, anyone know where and how much the ebc greenstuff pads, hawk pads, and the brembo solid oe replacement rotors are the cheapest??
Old 07-03-2003, 12:40 PM

Performance Friction pads at Autozone are bad a$$. Just watch close if you get rotors there. One of the rears I bought was molded wrong or something and it was rubbon the caliper. Also I think they are starting to warp already
Old 07-03-2003, 02:02 PM

smasher 94z the performance friction pads are 41 bucks, and the hawks performance ones im looking into getting are 53 do you honestly think the autozones are better or the hawks, i have heard nothing but good about hawks and they stop extremely well just still debating pretty stuck on brembo solids with hawks perforamnce pads but if autozones are better than ill ge tthose i know autozone will be cheaper but im taking into consideration price performance and durabillity all at the same time!
Old 07-03-2003, 02:59 PM

I've never used Hawks pads so I couldnt tell you if they're better or not.

I have tried a couple different parts store "High performance" pads though and the PF ones are the best so far. Nothing scientific just they seem to work better the hotter I get them.

And very little dust as far as I can see.

I put them on my truck too and the effect is the same. Stops are solid and they arent affected by any heat I've put to them and I've hooked a lot of weight to that thing ...

And lifetime warranty though I havent wore a set out yet

O ya remember to keep reciepts from autozone even though they keep records on their computer. The comp tends to "lose" records now and then and you are at the mercy of the manager on duty

Old 07-03-2003, 10:33 PM

ok so your pretty much tleling me to go with the autozone ones. i read on ls1.com some body said that his friends took their rotors to autozone because they autocrossed and needed new ones every week and he said that the autozone rotors are brembos is that true? i pmed him but he hasnt responded yet i need more info on that thanks!
Old 07-04-2003, 04:47 PM

Nothing scientific just they seem to work better the hotter I get them.

My secret with women is not a secret anymore!!