LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

HELP! Engine Noise under passenger valve cover.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 01:35 PM

HELP! Engine Noise under passenger valve cover.

I have a significant noise that can be heard from inside the car. It is coming from under the passenger side valve cover. Also, when this first started happening, there was a significant loss of power. The noise sounds like a clicking, i think it might be a bent push rod, or bad lifter. But was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem and knew how to troubleshoot it. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2004, 01:37 PM

Re: HELP! Engine Noise under passenger valve cover.

First of all I would take the valve cover off and make sure it's not a loose rocker.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:41 PM

OK I will look at it tonight
Old 11-10-2004, 03:52 PM

while you have the valve covers off. Check to see if any valve springs are broke. Look closely. I had one go this past season. LOSS LOTS O POWER. Also makes a ticking sound.

Ken
Old 11-11-2004, 05:26 PM

Looked at the rockers they are fine. Also looked at the springs they are fine as well. Then I looked at the push rods and they are all straight. So i am at a stand still with the engine. If there is anything else please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!1111111
Old 11-11-2004, 05:53 PM

In my ZZ4 motor I had a hyraulic roller lifter collapse...It started out as a ticking like a loose rocker...I ran the valves and the ticking went away momentarily and came right back...I was able to isolate it and was a bad lifter. If you are sure its not the rockers or the springs or the push rods then set your lash. I have set them with the engine running that way you can hear the lifter collapsing and isolate it. I'm not sure what set up you are running, but most hydraulic set ups are set to 1/4-1/2 turn past zero lash. You'll know right away if its a lifter.

Also you didn't say if you have just done any work to your engine, cam change, etc..I'm assuming that you did not and that the noise just started out of the blue...Good luck...
--Alan
Old 11-11-2004, 11:33 PM

Thanks I will check it out. And you are right i have not done any internal mods to my car yet. It does have 98000 miles on it. Thanks for your help!!!! will post if there is something else wrong.......
Old 11-12-2004, 12:12 AM

Does it sound like this?!?

http://paradox.shacknet.nu/dave88lx/formula/clack1.mpg

http://paradox.shacknet.nu/dave88lx/formula/clack2.mpg

If so, welcome to the world of spun bearings.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:01 AM

It is not that bad.......it is more of a metal on metal clicking. (loud clicking)
Old 11-12-2004, 11:36 AM

sounds like a lifter colapse. Buy a nice set of comp R's, a cam if you choose, and throw them in. Otherwise pop the intake off and swap out the lifters.

Chris
Old 11-12-2004, 01:49 PM

Here is another suggestion. DId you just put on new rockers? Cause if you did I wonder if they are hitting the valve cover. Just a thought. Start the engine with the valve cover off. Dont' rev too high though. It will start to spray oil everywhere.

ken
Old 11-15-2004, 12:32 PM

I have not recently installed new rockers. Looked at it again, and tried to listen for the noise again and it is still there. It sounds like it is coming from the 6th or 8th cyclinder. I also, let the engine cool down all the way, and had a temp gun to record the temps with the engine on. I found out the the 8th cyclinder was not that hot compared to the others. So I am now checking the spark plug and the wires. If someone thinks there might be something else please help!!
Old 11-15-2004, 05:11 PM

I had the same problem. Im in the process of doing a cam swap on a replacement engine as we speak and then pulling mine out to disassemble. Ive got the same exact noise you speak of, in the same area. Did everything youve done already and couldnt find it. Sounds more like its under the intake, but who knows for sure. Ive got 75k on mine and I drive her hard at times, and shes been over-revved a few times so im guessing lifter also, but im not wasting time in the car. Going to pull it and replace it for now while i tear it down and build a stroker out of it. Reason being, LT1's have a bad reputation for the spun bearings, and its usually the #8. So rather than find out after swapping the whole valvetrain, im electing to drop the engine out and go through it anyways. Id suggest at 100k you do the same, why waste $$ on parts to have the bottom end grenade 20k more down the road, unless you plan on dumping it off, but what if you replace the valvetrain and the noise is still there?
Old 11-15-2004, 05:16 PM

header leak?
when i had my factory exhaust manifolds i had that same metal on metal tick, especially under a load.
factory exhaust manifold gaskets are a 2 piece metal gasket..
just a thought..