LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

help! is this a genuine acdelco optispark sensor or a fake.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 07:13 AM

help! is this a genuine acdelco optispark sensor or a fake.

Does anyone have any pictures of the inside of a later-model (vent type) ACDelco OEM optispark?

I recently paid top dollar for what I thought would be a NOS ACDelco optispark II.

p/n 1104032

What I got had a different p/n than what I ordered and says Remanufactured AC Delco optispark. It did come in an AC Delco box (that says remanufactured for AC Delco), but that doesnt mean anything

When I took it apart to look at it, the optical sensor looks different than what was on my 93's optispark. (of course they are different optisparks also).

The sensor shape is different. Also, the mitsubishi emblem is very obscurred if it even has one at all. The emblem is below the connector harness input and to the right slightly. Its difficult to see in the picture, and difficult to see in person also since its so 'fuzzy' the way it was molded.

To me, this sensor looks like one out of a knock-off optispark.

Also, the cap is a different color than the tan/black cap on the OEM optispark.

Name:  DSC00817.jpg
Views: 1727
Size:  52.0 KB

Name:  DSC00815.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  35.8 KB

Heres what the sensor looked like on my 93 (waterdamaged) OEM ACDelco optispark:

its totally different

Name:  DSC00821.jpg
Views: 1276
Size:  66.2 KB

What I need is someone to confirm what the optispark sensor should look like on a 95-96 optispark.

Last edited by dizwiz24; 02-28-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:39 AM

Re: help! is this a genuine acdelco optispark sensor or a fake.

If they went through the problem of recasting a fake Mitsu sensor case, I would assume they would do the same for the rest of the parts. The only part that looks different from mine is the reman stamp, and the sensor plate there. Mine is polished, yours looks satin.

The new Delphi caps look exactly like that though. I bought one about 2 months ago and it was a smoke color.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:48 AM

It says REMFG right on it. So, it is remanufactured. The part and box are not trying to hide anything, but that should have been stated somewhere at time of purchase. I think we might be getting to a point where they all are reman units. I know that some GM places now specify a core charge if you don't turn one in. That said, it does not necessarily mean the unit is junk. Hopefully AC-Delco has more stringent requirements than some of the other knock-off brands.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by sandman2100
If they went through the problem of recasting a fake Mitsu sensor case, I would assume they would do the same for the rest of the parts. The only part that looks different from mine is the reman stamp, and the sensor plate there. Mine is polished, yours looks satin.

The new Delphi caps look exactly like that though. I bought one about 2 months ago and it was a smoke color.
Are you comparing mine to the Delphi one you got 2 months ago?

Or mine to the OEM one that would have come on your car?

Thats what Im most interested in.

Especially the optical sensor on the OEM units, does it look like the on in my picture or is it different.

I assure the 'Mitsubishi' sensor on my 93's OEM optispark looks way different than whats in this unit.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by shoebox
It says REMFG right on it. So, it is remanufactured. The part and box are not trying to hide anything, but that should have been stated somewhere at time of purchase. I think we might be getting to a point where they all are reman units. I know that some GM places now specify a core charge if you don't turn one in. That said, it does not necessarily mean the unit is junk. Hopefully AC-Delco has more stringent requirements than some of the other knock-off brands.
Nowhere was it stated in the online purchase site that it would be a rmfg unit. Its also a different part number than the 1104032 I ordered.

Ive discovered we are never to the point where the only thing out there is rmfg. You can always get on ebay and someone somewhere has NOS 'made in the USA" part you need. You might not be able to get it right away, but the correct NOS part is out there.

Ill fight it with my credit card dispute process.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:32 AM

Compared to the part I got 2 months ago. Your OEM sensor may look different, but you need to realize they probably changed the design in 19 years.

None of the parts are MADE IN THE USA. I threw my box out, but the label said product of Mexico. Local dealer tried to use the "don't buy Chinese crap" on me last year when I was getting parts. They ordered my heater hose assembly and didn't find it funny when I showed them this:
Old 02-28-2012, 12:12 PM

I just put in new AC-Delco window motor and was happy to find it IS now MADE IN USA. The one I got over ten years ago was made in Mexico. There are parts MADE IN USA. A radiator for my Grand Prix was drop shipped from Delphi in Illinois (IIRC).
Old 02-28-2012, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Nowhere was it stated in the online purchase site that it would be a rmfg unit. Its also a different part number than the 1104032 I ordered.

Ive discovered we are never to the point where the only thing out there is rmfg. You can always get on ebay and someone somewhere has NOS 'made in the USA" part you need. You might not be able to get it right away, but the correct NOS part is out there.

Ill fight it with my credit card dispute process.
If it was advertised as NOS, then that is a different story. It should have been the real deal New Old Stock. The seller probably does not know what NOS means.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:25 PM

I just put in new AC-Delco window motor and was happy to find it IS now MADE IN USA. The one I got over ten years ago was made in Mexico. There are parts MADE IN USA. A radiator for my Grand Prix was drop shipped from Delphi in Illinois (IIRC).
Bold statement on my part , but you'd be hard pressed to find a large majority of the parts being made in America these days.

The fact that a lot of people go out of their way to have you NOT buy parts made OUTSIDE the US, just to get it and it have product of China or Mexico or Canada all over the label right under Genuine GM Parts' logo. Delco, Delphi, GMPP, all of them use offshore suppliers, manufacturing. No way around it and hopefully it trends back to our shores, but the almighty dollar rules.

I am driving my American muscle car built in Canada with parts manufactured all over the world. Same thing that makes this country great, a cultural melting pot.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:41 PM

If it was advertised as NOS, then that is a different story. It should have been the real deal New Old Stock. The seller probably does not know what NOS means.
Ok then why does it have a completely different part number.

I ordered a part number 1104032.

I got an 19212300 instead. Nowhere on the box or part does it have the p/n that I ordered.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:53 PM

I got an 19212300 instead. Nowhere on the box or part does it have the p/n that I ordered.
The 1104032 is a new OEM part while the 19212300 is a remanufactured part. Call up the vendor and talk to them about it. Seems pretty simple to me.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:44 PM

I can't tell you why the guy did not send what you ordered. Contact the seller.