LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help - Head Bolt hole

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 06:15 PM

Help - Head Bolt hole

I've been working on this project on and off for over a year now...and it's / was almost done. I did a complete rebuild with 210 AFR heads ported by LE...etc. I had everything together, including vac lines. The car fires up, but won't hold it's idle without me giving it gas. I kept it running for maybe 2 mins tops. I went to check my oil...and the dip stick came up looking like chocolate milk...not cool. I drained the oil pan, and it was the same thing. I checked the coolant (which was mostly water for this test)...looked pretty clean...but in the light in certain angles it looked like there could be a small trace of an oily film....but it was still very orange.

I was a little surprised that the coolant even made it into the block because the car didn't get up to temp. In fact, I ran the CSR pump with the car off trying to get the coolant to circulate before I even started it...but no luck. While trying to get the coolant to circulate I squeezed the large top radiator hose on the passenger side. While doing this I heard air and gargling from the pass side head... I took the valve covers off and I noticed a small hole next to the bolt hole where the air / coolant seemed to be coming from.

Is that hole supposed to be there? If not, do I have any options to fix this other than welding? I checked the driver side and it's definitely not there.

BTW, this is on the very first bolt hole closest to the front of the engine.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:44 AM

No! Borrow a pressure tester from one of the auto parts stores to pressurize your cooling system.

Jake

West Point ROCKS! Nation's TOP COLLEGE per Forbes Magazine!! Graduation Day Parade 20 May 2010!!!
Old 12-26-2009, 09:44 AM

how do I fix this? can i tap the hole and put one of those small plug screws in there? the majority of the whole is blocked the the head of the head bolt, but not completely so the coolant still squirts through.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:26 PM

Take the heads to a shop and have them pressure tested and then welded to repair the problem. Then you need to tear that motor back down and check the bearings as water will kill them quick.

Were these new heads from AFR?

The hole could also be repaired with an aluminum tapered crack repair pin. But I would want to know why the heck there's a hole there to begin with and where exactly it goes.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:58 PM

I got the heads from a member here. I believe they started off as a set of bare casting AFR 210s and they were sent to Lloyd to port. The previous owner never installed them.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by MachinistOne
Take the heads to a shop and have them pressure tested and then welded to repair the problem. Then you need to tear that motor back down and check the bearings as water will kill them quick.

Were these new heads from AFR?

The hole could also be repaired with an aluminum tapered crack repair pin. But I would want to know why the heck there's a hole there to begin with and where exactly it goes.
I agree, tear down is the BEST way to better insure long engine life especially when you factor in what coolant does to bearings.

I'd also touch base with Lloyd on this issue.

Jake

West Point ROCKS! Nation's TOP COLLEGE per Forbes Magazine!! Graduation Day Parade 20 May 2010!!!
Old 12-26-2009, 02:50 PM

fyi: here is a thread on the heads i bought. Maybe I would have noticed this before I installed everything if I were experienced.....

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=496553
Old 12-26-2009, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Violat0rX
fyi: here is a thread on the heads i bought. Maybe I would have noticed this before I installed everything if I were experienced.....

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=496553
Unrelated issues - that guy just didn't know about rocker stud threads and valve cover threads being exposed on ported heads. The hole you have a picture of in the head bolt boss is very odd, and I don's see how in the manufacturing process an accident like that could happen - if it's a drilled hole down to coolant I believe it to be a deliberate act, previous owner? disgruntled employee at AFR? I'm just surprised that a hole like that was not noticed by the porter or by you when bolting the heads down...don't take that as an insult, just an observation.