LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

help with hooking up manual fan switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 01:36 PM

alright, the problems go on and on. i now have it hooked up and with the ignition in the "on" position, the led's and fans both work. the problem now is, the leds won't go off when i turn the ignition off??? however, when the ignition is on, both leds are off until i turn the fans on. so pretty much everything is working the way it should until i turn the ignition off and the led's stay on. any suggestions for this??
Old 07-07-2003, 03:40 PM

LED's don't take much current to power and will hold a very very small charge. They will go off after a while. Just watch them...
Old 07-07-2003, 04:16 PM

well how long is a while. mine were on for an hour with the ignition turned off. also, what exactly do the resistors do? that is the only thing i can think that may be wrong. i have led's with built in resistors but it does not say how many ohm's they are. it was just annoying me that these led's didn't go off. the thing is though, with the ignition on(it doesn't matter if the car is started or not) the led's won't be on unless i turn the fans on. right when i turn the ignition off, they stay illimunated.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:27 PM

the thing is though, with the ignition on(it doesn't matter if the car is started or not) the led's won't be on unless i turn the fans on. right when i turn the ignition off, they stay illimunated.
Hence they are holding a charge... or they stay on simply because you pulled your 12 volt power from an unswitched source.... where did you pull the 12v power for the LED's from? The power for the LED's have nothing to do with the fans. The switches simply ground out the relay which triggers the fans....check your 12v power source. Do they go off when you turn the switch off?
Old 07-07-2003, 08:33 PM

the 12V source is probally my problem. i used the yellow wire at my radio for my +12V source. the fans don't work until i turn the ignition to the on position or until i start the vehicle. when the ignition is on, neither led will be on until i turn the switch on. when i turn the switch on low, the green led lights up and when i turn the switch on high, both led's light up. yes, the led's must be holding a charge. the led's go off when the ignition is on and i have the switch off. however, with the ignition off, the fans don't work but both led's stay on???

the weird thing is, the led's should not have power at the yellow wire at the radio when the ignition is off should they? if this is not a good wire to use, would you be able to suggest another good +12 V wire? thanks

Last edited by cals400ex; 07-07-2003 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:00 PM

hmmmm....that should be good. Maybe for some odd reason your radio is sending current through the wire... Do you have an aftermarket stereo system? Try unplugging the stereo and see if that helps. I believe another good source should be maybe the feed for the power windows. They're only on when the key is on and until you open the door, so that would work and its pretty close by... the fuse panel. Good Luck. And I hope thats your problem. By the way. Two LEDs will take an extrememly long time to kill your battery... I'm talking weeks....
Old 07-07-2003, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by cals400ex
alright, the problems go on and on. i now have it hooked up and with the ignition in the "on" position, the led's and fans both work. the problem now is, the leds won't go off when i turn the ignition off??? however, when the ignition is on, both leds are off until i turn the fans on. so pretty much everything is working the way it should until i turn the ignition off and the led's stay on. any suggestions for this??
Either use a power source that is hot only when the ignition is on or add the diodes in this diagram .
Old 07-07-2003, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by shoebox
Either use a power source that is hot only when the ignition is on or add the diodes in this diagram .
what exactly does a diode do?
Old 07-07-2003, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by scoobysnax83
what exactly does a diode do?
In this case, it merely acts as a "check valve" to stop any current flow when you don't want any. Just like the LED (light emitting diode), it only allows current flow in one direction. That is why if you hook it up wrong, it won't light.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:54 PM

so like a check valve it only allows current through when enough pressure (amperage [3A]) is detected?
Old 07-07-2003, 10:04 PM

yes, i am using an aftermarket radio and system. however, the radio won't work unless the key is on. however, it will work for like ten minutes or so after i turn the car off unless i open the door. i think it may have came this way from the factory though. i guess this wire is hot even with the ignition off. i guess i will have to get two diodes because i have it wired exactly like the diagram you have me shoebox but without the diodes. would i just be able to pick up a diode are a local autoparts store or will i need to go somewhere like radio shack? i really appreciate the help everyone. thanks!!!
Old 07-07-2003, 10:05 PM

yes, i am using an aftermarket radio and system. however, the radio won't work unless the key is on. however, it will work for like ten minutes or so after i turn the car off unless i open the door. i think it may have came this way from the factory though. i guess this wire is hot even with the ignition off. i guess i will have to get two diodes because i have it wired exactly like the diagram you have me shoebox but without the diodes. would i just be able to pick up a diode are a local autoparts store or will i need to go somewhere like radio shack? i really appreciate the help everyone. thanks!!!
you might be able to find it at say....Autozone. But, Radio Shack for sure.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by scoobysnax83
so like a check valve it only allows current through when enough pressure (amperage [3A]) is detected?
Maybe my analogy was a little broad. It basically only allows current flow in one direction, though there is usually a very small amount of leakage. I think the rating of the diode is the current capacity. I am no electrical genius.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:11 PM

neither am I, neither am I But, I love learning.... I'll do a little research on that one. Gives me something to do at work tonight.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:11 PM

Yes, the RAP module keeps the power on for a limited time or you open the door.

Quick Reply: help with hooking up manual fan switch