LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

HELP, Key wont turn... car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 02:30 AM

HELP, Key wont turn... car wont start

I have an automatic formula so it has nothing to do with the clutch relay i've been reading about.
Heres my problem.............
This morning, i got in my car, put the key in the ignition and tried to turn it. IT was stuck so i messed with the steering wheel since it was in the lock position and still no luck. Finally after alot of jerking of the wheel and twisting of the key, it started and i went to work.
Well i was leaving work and now the problem was worse, I was able to turn the key (with force) and the lights on the guages come up and all but when i twist it all the way to start the car, it doesnt crank or anything.
I sprayed some WD-40 in the key hole and it helped alittle by letting me start the car, go home, go to a friends house....... but after i was done at my friends house, the car did the same thing and wont start and is stuck there 40 miles away. What could the problem be? Is this a common prblem in these cars?

*i dont know if this has anything to do with it, but 2 days before this problem began, i had given the car to the dealership to get the air bag light off. they did their little scanning thing and all that, but would anything they had done caused this?

thanks in advance!!!
Old 08-05-2004, 02:42 AM

Re: HELP, Key wont turn... car wont start

change your key ignition switch..
Old 08-05-2004, 05:29 AM

hey if you need a new switch i have one fore sale, just about brand new...
mine went out on my other camaro and then it was wrecked...so i have no use for this now....
let me know what you are going to do...

Randy

pm me and ill give you a price!!
Old 08-05-2004, 05:32 AM

oh yea give me a call tommorow I live in your area Angelo 972-824-0793 ill help you out..
Old 08-05-2004, 08:57 AM

Thanks guys,
Does anyone know how to start the car because its 40 miles away from my mechanic. Could i short the starter or something to crank the car on?
Angelo, what time do you wake up man?
Old 08-07-2004, 06:09 PM

OKwell my car died at my friends house on Weds night and the next morning i have it towed to the nearest pep boys because having it towed to my house or my mechanic would be $160 for being 40 miles away.
Anyway, i thought it was the ignition "CYLINDER" because i thought everyone was referring to that part when they said "ignition switch" on the message board here. Well anyway, that didnt fix it so they did a diagnostic and found it was the ignition switch towards the bottom of the steering column and they said it also needs a "ignition switch CONNECTOR"

have yall had to replace the connector also? Usually in my search ive seen people only replacing the ignition switch with no mention of the connector. please advise, before they install it on monday.
thanks
Old 08-07-2004, 06:16 PM

yes its the iginition swicth that SITS on top of the colum towards the mid bottom section of the colum...only wa to get it off is to unbolt it from teh shaft and drop the colum down........
thats the piece i had for sale, but im just going to keep it until mine goes out...

sorry if you got mixed up by the ignition cylinder lock/switch...
the part we were talking about is rectangled shape and is a ligt color plastic...

Randy
Old 08-07-2004, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by SilverFormula
OKwell my car died at my friends house on Weds night and the next morning i have it towed to the nearest pep boys because having it towed to my house or my mechanic would be $160 for being 40 miles away.
Anyway, i thought it was the ignition "CYLINDER" because i thought everyone was referring to that part when they said "ignition switch" on the message board here. Well anyway, that didnt fix it so they did a diagnostic and found it was the ignition switch towards the bottom of the steering column and they said it also needs a "ignition switch CONNECTOR"

have yall had to replace the connector also? Usually in my search ive seen people only replacing the ignition switch with no mention of the connector. please advise, before they install it on monday.
thanks
It's common to have to replace the connector as well. Just look at the ignition switch R&R on my Tech Page. Your search should have found this info.