LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help me choose head gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 05:47 PM

Help me choose head gaskets

first off, the motor has not been bored, what size head gasket do i need to get, also what thickness would be good for a supercharged motor?

i dont want to use the run of the mill cheap felpros since we are running boost.
Looked into cometic, they are expensive, and i didnt see anything other than ones for .040 bore.

i was told that coppers wont work because of cast block and alum heads. but i see several offerings for the LT1? are these just for the ones with cast heads?

i am having trouble finding any good high performance ones for the LT1,
all i keep seeing is GM and felpro

can someone suggest me some good ones, and what sizes to get? i want to make sure this is done right
Old 05-14-2005, 06:23 PM

Re: Help me choose head gaskets

Copper H. gaskets are used with O-ringed Blocks/Heads. Its the only way they seal. Also, they all like to leak coolant. So if this is a streeter you'll probably want to steer clear of copper. As far as bore size, get whatever your cylinder bore is. Ex. 4.030 bore=4.030 gasket. What thickness you'll need is determined by your desired compression ratio. I just installed a set of Cometic .060 4.030s. They are sweet. Yes theyre expensive but no worries about failure. Also Ive never found fel-pros to be junk.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:24 PM

since you say the block hasnt been bored you'll need a 4.00 gasket.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by mohawkmike
Copper H. gaskets are used with O-ringed Blocks/Heads. Its the only way they seal. Also, they all like to leak coolant. So if this is a streeter you'll probably want to steer clear of copper. As far as bore size, get whatever your cylinder bore is. Ex. 4.030 bore=4.030 gasket. What thickness you'll need is determined by your desired compression ratio. I just installed a set of Cometic .060 4.030s. They are sweet. Yes theyre expensive but no worries about failure. Also Ive never found fel-pros to be junk.
not saying that fel pros are junk at all, just that with less than 500 miles after installing the procharger we blew a head gasket, i am wanting to go with somthing a little stronger.
the motor that is in the car we didnt build it, but after looking at the pistons, there was no stamping or indication if them being larger than stock and i dont have a mic to check it with. i have not seen any head gaskets other than felpros with 4.000

also, dont really want to spend the money on cometics since the motor will be replaced before the end of the year and will need a different size anyways

Last edited by Snakebyt; 05-14-2005 at 06:36 PM.