LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

help me figure this out? pls!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 08:06 AM

help me figure this out? pls!

hey everyone! 1st post here and i could really use some help with this one. so my car died on me last night, it hasnt ben running quite right for some time now so i just ordered a new opti & wp motor yesterday but it couldnt wait.. i dont think the opti is the reason its not starting for me tho, it almost sounds like a short when i try to crank it. when i had the hood popped last night i could see the #2 cylinder i think it was? -1st one on the passenger side sparking pretty bad when i had my buddy cranking it so i felt around the plug and boot and everything seemed right tight... it makes a sound similiar to when a battery isnt hooked up properly and the connection breaks when you try to start it, it definatly isnt the starter clicking, its much more of an electrical noise. the last time i started it up it made the same noise like something was shorting or crossed but it fired right up with hardly any cranking still.
so its not turning over at all right now, the plugs and wires have just over a thousand miles on them now, the battery is new as of yesterday... im heading back over there this afternoon with a friend who hopefully can help me get to the bottom of this. if we cant get it running il have it towed to my house i guess, then il just start tearing into it to do the opti job anyways, hell im thinking about just taking it off the road early and doing a H&C package while im at it. but what does this sound like to you guys? just a loose connection some where im hoping.. right? what should i check over? and thanks in advance for any help
Old 09-23-2006, 08:48 AM

Re: help me figure this out? pls!

If I understand you right, I think it's the relay in the glove box thats clicking back and forth. My guess is the Ignition Switch on your steering column is bad or out of adjustment.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:04 AM

Re: help me figure this out? pls!

I just replaced my waterpump/opti, for a rough running issue. Ended up being a burnt wire causing the hesitation . I'd definitely go over those boots and wires looking for problems/bad connections-sometimes they are hard to inspect unless you really get in there and dig around. Do you have stock manifolds or headers? Stock wire routing or not?

Try using a signature at the bottom(see mine)to let people know what modifications that your car may have, and other things(tranny, year, etc..)
This board is amazingly helpful if you can eloquently and thoroughly explain your problem.