LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help Me Identify this knocking noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 08:26 PM

Help Me Identify this knocking noise

Car seems to make this noise after it warms up. Well seems more apparent after it is warm. Starts around the 2k mark and up. Not really noticeable at idle. Took off the driver side valve cover, as it seemed to be coming form that side. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Nothing loose. Everything seemed to be moving properly. I hope someone with more experience can identify this and give me a few things to check out.
Car is internally stock, long tube headers.
Here is the youtube vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPeSnBBkncc
Old 06-14-2009, 09:28 PM

Sounds as though its your flywheel.. I bet you have a broken weld on your fly wheel ...good news is that a fly wheel is only 41.99 at your nearest advanced auto parts...
Thats same noise mine is making..
Old 06-14-2009, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by synchro
Car seems to make this noise after it warms up. Well seems more apparent after it is warm. Starts around the 2k mark and up. Not really noticeable at idle. Took off the driver side valve cover, as it seemed to be coming form that side. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Nothing loose. Everything seemed to be moving properly. I hope someone with more experience can identify this and give me a few things to check out.
Car is internally stock, long tube headers.
Here is the youtube vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPeSnBBkncc
Honestly, that sounds like knock. Probably time for a rebuild.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:33 PM

After listening to it several times it could also be a knock but i would inspect the flyhweel just to be on the safe side as well..
Old 06-14-2009, 09:37 PM

If it was Knock from the bottom end, would I have any other issues? The car drives fine and the oil pressure seems to be normal. I am afraid it is knock too. I will check my flywheel out as soon as I can get it up on stands and take the inspection cover off
Old 06-14-2009, 09:42 PM

I dunno my last one had a bent push rod and we thought it was on the bottom took the whole engine out tore it clear down to the block and only found the bent push rod.

Now i got my new rebuilt engine in and now it has a quiet knock in it almost kinda sounds like the same prob u are having now becuase i pulled off my valve cover and from what i seen everything looked normal but the sound is really faint.. So still trying to figure out whats wrong with my new engine...

Also if it was a knock on the bottom end more and likely you would lose power.... So did it still have power last time you drove it or was the power gone in it?
Old 06-15-2009, 07:38 AM

Why would a broken flywheel weld only sound off after the car warms up?

That sounds like a bearing knock to me but you really can't tell anything from a recording on the internet...

I suspect a rod knock, valve train would be more of a tap, main bearings would be more of a heavy thunking noise.

Good luck!
Old 06-15-2009, 09:46 AM

If it were bearings wouldn't it be at all times cold or hot? The car runs and drives normal, and oil pressure is fine.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Canuck wita WS6
If it were bearings wouldn't it be at all times cold or hot? The car runs and drives normal, and oil pressure is fine.
Rod knocks, when they first start, are worse when the oil warms and thins. Main knocks hammer all the time.

Oil pressure is governed by the cam bearings...many times you can't tell the difference. The care won't really drive differently for a while...
Old 06-15-2009, 11:42 AM

[QUOTE=bw_hunter;6003525]Rod knocks, when they first start, are worse when the oil warms and thins. Main knocks hammer all the time.

Using this logic, since it doesn't really know until its warm, or past 2k are you saying it wouldn't be the rod or main?

I think the diagnosis is beyond my skill/knowledge level. I am going to take it in do get a mechanics opinion. The figure out past there what to do. Looks like upgrade time. ha.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:45 AM

[QUOTE=synchro;6003627]
Originally Posted by bw_hunter
Rod knocks, when they first start, are worse when the oil warms and thins. Main knocks hammer all the time.

Using this logic, since it doesn't really know until its warm, or past 2k are you saying it wouldn't be the rod or main?

I think the diagnosis is beyond my skill/knowledge level. I am going to take it in do get a mechanics opinion. The figure out past there what to do. Looks like upgrade time. ha.

I think it's best to take it in to be checked out. I think it's the rod....
Old 06-15-2009, 03:40 PM

Sounds like a loose converter bolt, or a loose bolt on the flywheel/flexplate... it sounds like a rotating sound more than an up and down sound.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:51 PM

Between to the person that asked why the sound would sound louder its becuase your fly wheel is moving faster and it pushes the gap out further because of the broken weld.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:53 PM

Well it goes in to a mechanic tomorrow. I sure as hell hope the flywheel is the problem. Seems a lot cheaper then bottom end work. Plus if its only the fly wheel it might mean it will be fixed quickly, where as a rebuild puts the car out for most of the summer
Old 06-15-2009, 10:03 PM

Sorry but it sounds like a rod.

What is the best option, to have it fixed or is there a mail order place with great prices?

Hal

Quick Reply: Help Me Identify this knocking noise