57.14%
18 ALL AROUND
17.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Help Me Please What Size Rims 17 Or 18 ========>>

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 11:34 PM

Help Me Please What Size Rims 17 Or 18 ========>>

I THINK IM GOING TO BUY NEW CHROME ZO6 CORVETTE RIMS WHEELS, 18 INCH REARS 17 INCH FRONTS OR SHOULD I DO 17"S ALL AROUND OR 18" ALL AROUND. WHAT WOULD IT DO FOR SIZE OR TIRES?? WHAT WOULD IT DO FOR THE FEEL OF THE DRIVE AND WHAT WOULD LOOK THE BEST AND SO ON. ANY INFO YOU CAN ADD WILL DEF. HELP THANKS. O AND I HAVE THE HPP3 SO I CAN FIX THE SPEEDO.
Old 03-02-2003, 11:38 PM

O AN ALSO HOW WIDE CAN IT BE IN MY CAR CAUSE I HAVE A CONVERTIBLE ITS A 95 Z 9.5 OR CAN 11'' FIT??? WHY OR WHY NOT THANKS
Old 03-02-2003, 11:42 PM

stick with 17s on all 4 corners and if you race it i would get 15s for all 4 corners

BTW if you can get 17x11s/17x10.5 Z06 rims get them for the back with some 315
Old 03-02-2003, 11:54 PM

GOOD QUESTION MAN

I'd get all the same size. Infact, I have a set of Y2K Vette wheels, 17"/18", and I'm trying to find someone to trade wheels with. I want all 17" wheels.

I want all the same size so I can rotate them. I want 17" because the tires cost less, and because having expensive tires in the rear isn't a good idea, they don't last as long. 18" will probably look better, that's up to you. 18" should also feel stiffer, and better for cornering. 17" will hook a little better, and give a softer ride.
Old 03-02-2003, 11:55 PM
Administrator

O AN ALSO HOW WIDE CAN IT BE IN MY CAR CAUSE I HAVE A CONVERTIBLE ITS A 95 Z 9.5 OR CAN 11'' FIT??? WHY OR WHY NOT THANKS

And as long as you don't change the outside diameter of the tires from stock, you don't need to correct the speedometer.

The following sizes all have about the same tire diameter, within 1/2%:

245/50-16
275/40-17
315/35-17
275/35-18
285/30-19

The 315/35-17's will fit on a convertible, on 11" wide wheels, just about the same as on a coupe. I haven't found any difference. In either case, some people need to cut off the corner of the jounce bumper bracket and hammer the inner fender liners to fit the 315's.

All of this assumes you get wheels with the correct offset

Last edited by Injuneer; 03-02-2003 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-02-2003, 11:56 PM

Question

I DON'T UNDERSTAND 17S ALL AROUND WHY SMALLER Y NOT 18S IN THE REAR DO BIG RIMS AND TIRES MAKE IT DRIVE WORSE OR SOME THING??
Old 03-03-2003, 12:02 AM
Administrator

What is the intended purpose of your car?

If you mainly drag race, the larger diameter wheels increase the HP absorbed to bring the wheels/tires up to speed, reducing the HP available to accelerate your car. And, the thinner sidewall of the 18" tires reduces straight line traction. And, the thinner the sidewall, the harsher the ride, and the better chance you have of damaging your wheels when you hit a pothole. And, 18" tires will generally cost more than 17" tires.

If you are mainly into "cornering" as opposed to drag racing, the 18's might help you a little, but with a solid rear axle setup like the F-Bodys have, it is questionable how much, if anything you might gain.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:09 AM

What is the intended purpose of your car?

I WILL BE USEING IT AS A DAILY DRIVER THAT LIKES TO CRUSH ALL IMPORTS AND LS1's

i do have ****ty handleing on corner but i only have stock 16s now
and with a solid rear axle setup like the F-Bodys have, what do u mean by that i will be putting in 4.10s!!

Last edited by Dmx4ever3; 03-03-2003 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:14 AM
Administrator

Let me offer you a few helpful hints, of the moderator type:

1. Signatures are limited to 5 lines. Yours is a bit too long.

2. Do not post curse words that simply cause the language filters to activate. It is possible to communicate effectively without cursing.

3. Turn off the "caps lock"

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2003, 12:31 AM

OK I WAS EXPRESSING MY SELF WITH THE words but how would you write it out i see other people all the time over 5 whats the bid deal write me a better one that can fit that 5 line
Old 03-03-2003, 01:00 AM

i know a few people with corvette wheels on there cars, one of them has 17s all the way around. it looks REALLY dumb. if you are gonna get the z06 wheel get them they way that they were used on the flag ship car, it will take a little more power to spin them but its well worth it. id get the 18s in rear with widest tire available. dont go cheap just because you dont want to have to pay for tires, if you puttin out all the money for the wheels, whats another 30 per tire to look that much better.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:49 AM

Just like the person above said, 18's will not give you any better traction than 17's. It's been studied and documented. They will however be tougher on your kidneys. Not to mention your wallet.

As far as your signature is concerned. It's too much, most people don't care that you have black film in your windows or the color is so and so. It makes it tough on us to read. Be reader friendly.

As far as your crappy handling, you haven't done anything (that I could read in your signature) to improve it. No eurothane bushings, no SFC's no STB's. These are simple things that will make a big difference no matter what tires you have. I would recommend that you research the alternatives, ask opinions of what mods will show the biggest improvment and pick from the lowest cost and highest results and do those first. Just an idea.

good luck.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:56 AM

i have 18x9.5 c5 wheels(f-body back back-spacing) with 285/35/18 tires all the way around. looks and handles unreal. i also have an eibach pro kit, and the car never looked right without it.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Dmx4ever3, Injuneer is only trying to help you and is correct in saying that we ask people to please limit their sigs to 5 lines. You are also correct in that you'll see people have 6 lines sigs and we don't say a word. That's because the 5 line sig is a strong suggestion and not a hard fast rule that will get your account deleted/suspended or whatever if we happen to notice you have 6 lines. However, when we see people excessively abuse their signature then we will suggest they cut it down to 5 lines. If you can only get it down to 6 lines, well, that's probably fine and you probably won't have a moderator say anything at all to you. One suggestion here for you if you do want to make known all those mods is to click on the "Reader's Rides" button in the upper left corner of this screen and make your own FREE web page and include all this info there.

Typing in all caps is difficult to read and by some considered rude so you'll tend to get more responses if you don't type in all caps because more people will read your questions.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:12 PM

I say 17's.. heck I still use the salad shooter 16 inchers - they're light, the right size, and free Let me summarize for you..

17's
-Cheaper rim
-Way cheaper tires
-More rubber makes for better straight line traction because you'll have more sidewall flex to absorb the shock of a hard launch. Also, more rubber makes it less likely to damage your rim on a curb or pothole - I have had this happen before on a lighter car nonetheless, it is easier than you think!
-Cushier ride
-lighter

18's
-expensive rims
-expensive tires
-less rubber - some think this looks good.. I don't. I'm sorry but my car is a muscle car not an 88 caddy.. I don't want 18, 19, or 20 inch gold dubs on my ride, that look is just not for me. Besides, the 18's will spin like heck good luck beating an ls1 with zero traction. The thinner tires may allow the car to corner better but that will be neglible - as Fred already stated this is a solid rear suspension meaning this car is not setup to handle, it's setup to go.. straight.. period.
-Less rubber will also make for a much harsher ride.
-heavier

Wider tires are just for looks they will not net you much if any more traction. They will cost you an arm and a leg - probably close to what you paid for the rim and you'll probably have to beat out the fender and roll the lip for them to fit. If you want to dish out extraordinary amounts of cash for tires pick up a set of 315X35X18 go look at www.tirerack.com if you don't believe me. If you want more traction then that can be found in more sidewall AND a better brand/make of tire - Slicks, nitto drag radials, or BFG KDW or Firehawk SZ50 street tires (listed from most traction to least traction)

Also, if you go with the bigger/wider rims/tires in the back you will not be able to rotate them..

One other thing you should consider - weight. Rims are a rotational mass.. if you remember high school physics you know Force = mass X acceleration. Duh.. less weight is better, obviously. However, we're also talking about rotational mass here. If you remember a little more physics then you'll also recall this little thing called inertia. The faster you try and rotate something the more important its weight becomes, wheels don't rotate as fast as the engine but they still go pretty fast and so that weight is actually more than it seems because your car will be rotating it. Maybe one of our resident engineer geniuses can chime in with a better explanation of unsprung weight. Point is, 18 inch rims are going to weigh a lot more and that extra weight will be compounded because it is a rotational mass.

Check out the drag racing forum, you'll see that the guys who are serious about going fast use small, ultra light rims with a lot of rubber on the back - 15 X 10 inch on the rear and skinnies up front. I guess you have to balance looks, with price, with performance. For me price and performance win out so I'll stick with the stockers.. heck I kinda like the way they look too

All go and no show is good sometimes, how else would I convince those mustangs and civics to play with me?

Last edited by Lost; 03-03-2003 at 05:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Help Me Please What Size Rims 17 Or 18 ========>>