LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help me set up my newest opti! MSD or GM?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 02:42 AM

Help me set up my newest opti! MSD, dynaspark, or GM?

Well my opti went out again after 8k miles in my 94 Trans Am. I'm just gonna buy another complete distributor from Dal. I'm also gonna replace the coil with a MSD coil even though the stocker works but it has just under 100k so I'll replace it anyway. I'm also gonna do new MSD wires and NGK plugs. Should I also buy a MSD cap and rotor too or just use the stock one that will come with the new opti from Dal? Will it be worth it since they are vented and the stock 94 opti is not vented? And what screws do I tighten and put thread lock on? I've searched and found a couple threads where people were saying to tighten a couple screws because they are known to back out but which ones? And lastly if I spend all this money I could afford the actual MSD opti so should I just do that? I don't know if they are still having problems with them or not.

I asked a few days ago if anyone has sealed a stock opti with silicone or something but didn't get an answer so if you sealed it please tell me how! Pics would help too. Are the MSD optis sealed good?

Last edited by porksoda; 06-28-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:45 AM

The price difference is as follows:

nonvented opti from Dal-$307 +shipping
MSD cap and rotor-$156 +shipping
MSD opti-$515 shipped
Old 06-28-2007, 09:32 AM

You put thread lock on the rotor screw.

I dont care if the msd unit look better/feel better/selead better its just a big problem.My first one destroy the rotor(rub n casing),the second i got was having a timing disc that was not straight so timing issue.Now my 3rd one is missing like crazy under 1750rpm due to a bad optical sensor.

I ve ask a refund and look...Everyone got problem with the msd,there cutomers service sucks big time.And you know what people with stocker run great.

So Oem ac/delco is the choice
Old 06-28-2007, 09:44 AM

Should I use the MSD cap and rotor though? As I mentioned if I add in the cost of the opti plus a MSD cap and rotor it's almost $500. And if I spend just a hair more I could get a dynaspark or other aftermarket ignition. I just really want opinions on what to do. If I do go aftermarket don't I need a new opti anyway because don't they all read off the optical sensor? To me that would be a waste of money to buy a new and working opti just to use a different ignition.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:56 AM

So you say yours quit after only 8000 miles.I also had a new GM opti quit after just 10000 miles and that really pissed me off because i never drive mine in the rain and my water pump has never leaked.So when i needed a new opti i looked at everything that was available and i decided on the Dynaspark,it cost more but i think it was well worth it,no problems so far and it has been on there for 2 years now.You can think of it as a Gm opti that has been completly balanced,blue printed and sealed.It also comes with all the hardware to vent it for your 94 which i think is the key to making it last.Installing an opti is not a big job but i don't know about you but it is not a job i want to do every 8-10000 miles.Also when mine quit i took it apart and the cap and rotor were in perfect shape,so someone tell me what killed mine,i beleive it was because it was not vented properly.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:16 PM

Here is your deal:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529069
Old 06-28-2007, 02:22 PM

But when you get a dynaspark, delteq, or LTCC don't you have to buy a new opti anyway since they still go off the optical sensor or can I just buy the aftermarket ignition by itself and it will work? Because like I said if I have to buy a new opti AND a dynaspark or whatever I decide that would be up to almost a $1000 already!
Old 06-28-2007, 04:19 PM

Well for the ltcc and the delteq you do need a working opti,but the dynaspark is just a hand built gm opti spark.Now it has many upgrades over the factory opti but it uses alot of the gm electronics.Go to the dynaspark web site,it has all the information you need listed.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:53 PM

If it's your cap/rotor thats bad I would just replace it with the msd cap/rotor.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:49 PM

I'm really thinking about the Dynaspark now. Although I've read a couple threads with people having trouble with their MSD wires not fitting on the Dynaspark. Any truth to this with anyone else? I can't decide if I really want to spend the $600 for a dynaspark compared to a new $300 GM opti.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:06 PM

What went bad with your stock opti? The cap and rotor or the opti sensor? If its the cap and rotor just throw an MSD cap and rotor kit on it for $150. It also adds another screw on the cap to make sure it seals completly.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:41 PM

I honestly haven't ripped into it yet because I don't have the money for a replacement but it backfires bad and just isn't fun! It throws codes for high and low resolution though whatever that is?
Old 06-29-2007, 08:43 AM
Eck

Originally Posted by porksoda
I'm really thinking about the Dynaspark now. Although I've read a couple threads with people having trouble with their MSD wires not fitting on the Dynaspark. Any truth to this with anyone else? I can't decide if I really want to spend the $600 for a dynaspark compared to a new $300 GM opti.
I went with a DynaSpark because I got tired of messing with the opti everytime I had a misfire. Haven't had a problem since.

I'm running MSD wires and haven't had any problems?
Old 06-29-2007, 02:47 PM

Does the dynaspark come as a complete unit that is easy to install? Or do I have to buy a cap and rotor or other parts? I know I'll need gaskets for water pump and stuff like that but is anything else required for the dynaspark? Also do I have to splice into any wires to make it work on my 1994 Trans Am?
Old 06-29-2007, 04:09 PM
Eck

Originally Posted by porksoda
Does the dynaspark come as a complete unit that is easy to install? Or do I have to buy a cap and rotor or other parts? I know I'll need gaskets for water pump and stuff like that but is anything else required for the dynaspark? Also do I have to splice into any wires to make it work on my 1994 Trans Am?
It's a complete unit, comes with wires and everything. Umm I can't remember if I had to splice them or not... but instructions are included to guide you step by step.