LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help with motor mounts!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 06:17 PM

Angry Help with motor mounts!

Well I installed the Driver's Side mount no problem. Everything is cool. I'm working on the passenger side but I can't get the main bolt through the mount. I have the mount loosely bolted to the crossmember and the bracket loosely bolted to the engine. I can take whole assembly and shake it around and the engine is being supported by a jack so there isn't any pressure on the setup.

Right now I have the main bolt about half way through the mount and I can't get it in the rest of the way. I have tried pounding it with a hammer and I have tried turning a wrench. I can't get it to go through! Any ideas? BTW, they are Energy Susp. Poly Mounts.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:26 PM

Re: Help with motor mounts!

Common problem. Try changing the position of the engine (up and down). You may also need to loosen the bolts on driver's side to gain more freedom of movement.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:28 PM

I had the same problem with mine. There were some polyurethane residues blocking the hole in the insert. I used a large drill bit to clean the bolt hole.
Yuo might have to remove it to get this done.

RG
Old 07-08-2006, 07:04 PM

I had the same issue as ricardo. Fixed it similarly.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:15 PM

Same deal here, bunch of excess poly left that was blocking the bolt from going through. I cleaned the hole by using a bigger hammer and pounding the F out of the bolt to force it through.

Old 07-08-2006, 11:12 PM

Ok, I had thought about that. What size drill bit did you use to fix it? Thanks!
Old 07-09-2006, 02:02 AM

How do you like the poly mounts? Does it rattle your teeth or are they pretty good? I have been considering doing mine, just not sure I want to have my car shake. I wish i could ride in one with them and see how it is.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:47 AM

I have ES poly mounts and like them (they stopped my header banging under the car). You will feel a bit more vibration from the engine but it really is not bad.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:02 AM

I have poly engine and tranny mounts. Its not bad at all. Even my wife can barely tell the difference.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:51 AM

I dont remember the exact size of the drill bit used. I compared the bolt to a drill bit that matched it and used it. It was either 1/2" or very close to it.
The poly mounts are a bit stiffer than the original rubber ones. You will probably have to loosen the bracket or mount to be able to insert the bolt anyway.
The vibration did not differ much when compared to the original poly mounts.......until I decided to go with the BRM K member. The BRM K member uses one poly mount built in on the K member (pass side) and re-uses the original driver side mount.
Then I could notice some vibrations, but only at Idle. I guess it is mainly because of the cam.

RG
Old 07-09-2006, 10:56 AM

I had the same problem, and it was a PITA to do. The you have to have the jack set at the right height, and by right height, I mean it pretty much has to be perfect. What i had to do is, put the bolt through that your tryin to get in, before i put those 3 bolts into the engine block. And I had to tighten those up, then lower the jack slightly, then tighten them some more. Did that a bunch of times untill it was all the way down where it should be.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:19 AM

Make sure no blockage and also check to make sure that the tip of the bolt isn't hitting the other sde of the mount. You will probably have to raise and lower the engine to get it right. Also make sure that you have the longer bolt on the passenger side and the shorter bolt on the driver side. I forgot about this and had to take it all apart cause the driver side wouldn't tighten up since the blot was too long.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:46 PM

Ok, for anyone that is searching here is what happened:

I took the mount out of the car and tried to put the bolt through and it wouldn't go through even with the mount out of the car! (I knew it wasn't binding because everything was loose) So I took a drill and got rid of some of the poly that was in the center and shouldn't have been. It was still tough to get through, but I got it through. I put it back into the car and got it all bolted up.

I had no problem with the driver's side, but I am less than thrilled with Energy Suspension's passenger side mount. IMO FWIW, it was a poorly manufactured peice. In addition to cleaning poly out of the center to get the bolt through, I had to Dremel a couple of the sides so I could get the top two bolts to go through the mounts because the poly got in the way of the heads on the bolts. Pain in the butt and cost me a lot of time fighting with it. Either way its done and over with.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:54 AM

Glad to hear you are done. I had mine installed when I did my heads/cam swap so there was less stuff to "work around". The machanic did mention that they were a pain but I don't think he had to drill them out.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:34 AM

Do you guys think it is feasible to change the motor mounts with longtubes installed on the car?

Quick Reply: Help with motor mounts!