LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help a newb out!! (headers)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 01:41 AM

Help a newb out!! (headers)

OK, posted this in Gen F-Bod, no response after a day, did a search on headers again and looked to see that they were posted in LT1 Tech.

:::SKIP TO LAST PARAGRAPH FOR STRAIGHT SIMPLE QUESTION:::

So, here's the deal. My car's current ehausts angers me - I don't mind the whole "Flowmaster" thing, but I do mind the fact that I had it put on immediately after the car before I researched anything and realized I could've gotten and ENTIRE catback system for the same price and installed it myself. What I'm saying is I have a Flowmaster muffler with tips, SO up to the inlet of the muffler EXCLUDING the cutout at the rear axle is stock.

I wanted to order the pacesetter LTs and ORY - but the ORY is 3" - being new to exhaust ?'s like this (I've helped 2 friends install headers so I'm pretty confident with that) I was wondering what I should do -- what needs to be done to install this it stock I is 2.75, and ORY is 3" - reducer? Should I just get a new catback period since Flowmaster isn't the best? But then what about having enough money for my headers....

If before the muffler forward is stock, can a shop easily make it 3" since thats what I would need for max efficiency with header setup? Or can I leave it and throw a reducer on an ORY since it would only be in 2.75" pipes till cutout at axle -- THANKS!
Old 12-30-2004, 02:31 AM

Re: Help a newb out!! (headers)

I just ordered the pacesetter coated longtubes and off-road y-pipe and I plan on installing them today.. so I'll let you know about any hang ups or crap like that that could possibly go wrong.

To answer your question, to keep the 2 3/4" catback then yes the easiest thing to do would be a reducer after the y-pipe. Now, what I did with my catback (I also have a flowmaster muffler) was I bought just the muffler and had it welded up, and then I went to a muffler shop and asked their experienced exhaust man to make me a 3" catback that went from the muffler to the cat.

I think it cost me around $80, and he welded in a flange right before the axle so that it could be unbolted with ease in case I needed to drop it out for one reason or another without having to cut anything. Long story short -- either look to get a 3" pipe bent for the catback or just use a reducer.

Hope this helps,

-Joe Blaze

For the record: Flowmaster isn't as crappy as everyone makes it out to be. Yes, it isn't the best flowing muffler/catback on the market, but it is a decent performing/sounding system over stock. They have done numerous tests with it and found the differences on the dyno between the best flowing and the worst flowing mufflers (no mufler actually dynoed the lowest) is about 4 - 5 hp? Now, if 4 - 5 hp is that significant to you and worth buying a whole new muffler/catback system, then knock yourself out buddy. But from what you're saying, you're balling on a budget, which is how many of us others are as well.

Last edited by WhyHelloOfficer; 12-30-2004 at 02:40 AM.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:57 AM

Re: Help a newb out!! (headers)

I don't mean to make them out as crap - I usually state it myself to avoid others from pointing out that fowmaster isnt thebest, better off with new catback, etec, etc -- I prefer flowmasters sound by FAR over anything (besides GMMG) on an other wise stock setup. Flowmasters, IMO, sound the best when other mods are made to exhaust - they don't rasp like LM, etc, etc -- anyways, that sounds like my best option.

Yea I was thinking about that, depending on what my exhaust guy charges, That's my best option. I may even lost the cutout for now and have that installed by a shop I know who doesn't care about emissions, but I wouldn't trust 'em with a more complex task. Thanks!

Last edited by fredmr39; 12-30-2004 at 03:02 AM.