LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help!!! Oil/lifter/rocker Arm Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 12:12 AM

Help!!! Oil/lifter/rocker Arm Problem

A little back ground on this problem. I have had my 94 camaro for about 4 years. The winter after buying the car I decided to pull off all of the rocker arms since the motor was not going to be ran for a few months. The car has a CC305 cam with comp cams roller rockers. In the process I noticed some problems with the number 3-cil rocker arms. The valve covers had two big dents on the inside where at some time a rocker arm had hit them, and the rocker arms also had marks on them. One of the rocker arm studs also looked like it had been replaced at some time. I went ahead and bought new 2 new rocker arms and that next year put everything back together.
After the motor was started I had a lifter tick that I just could not seem to get rid of. I adjusted them 10+ different times with the motor warm and also running. Eventually I thought that I had gotten most of the noise to a minimum and was satisfiyed.

I drove the car with no issues for about 3 years when the noise started to get worse. At the beginning of this year after adjusting the rocker arms again I noticed that the rocker arms for the number 3-cil only were not getting hardly any oil, and the lifter itself was did not seem to be pumping up as strong as the others. I decided to yank the intake and replace the lifters for the number 3-cil lifters. This seemed to fix the problem.

I drove the car all summer then just last week a rocker arm stud snaps, and one of the number 3-cil intake lifter basically exploded shooting the inner lifter components into the lifter valley.

I pulled the intake back off and replace all the lifters with comp cam replacement lifters, and APR rocker arm studs. Put every thing backs together and fired the motor up. Runs good but there was a nasty ticking coming from the drivers side lifters. I pulled the valve cover and started the motor up. Re adjusted all the lifters with the motor warm, but the ticking sound will not go away. Then I let the motor run for a little while looking at all the rocker arms to make sure everything was ok. Low and behold the damn number 3-cil rocker arms are not getting any oil. The lifters themselves seem to be pumped up, but not betting oil up to the rocker arms. There is a lot of oil flowing to the other liters.

I am starting to think that there has been some kind of problem with the lifters well before I bought the car. Because of the dents in the valve cover, beat up rocker arms, and what appears to be the second broken rocker arm stud all coming from the same cil.

What could cause this to happen. Lifters are brand new. They seem to pump up but do not send any oil to the rocker arms.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:42 AM

Re: Help!!! Oil/lifter/rocker Arm Problem

Have you ever checked that pushrod for any obstruction? Seems like the pushrod and rocker might be damaged, too, if not getting any oil.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:35 AM

Yeah I checked and re checked the pushrods and rocker arms for any crap that could have gotten in them. I believe that these two lifters have been having some type of problem for some time.

The new lifters that I put in are the comp r's. Im thinking that if some how there was a lack of oil getting to the lifters that the stock ones were able to make due. With the stock lifters oil would flow to the rocker arm but it would take about 2 min or so for it to reach them. The lifter may have only been half pumped up though when the car was running. Im thinking that with the comp r lifter that if it doesnt get enough oil to stay fully pumped up it will not be able to send oil up the push rod.

Does this sound possible?

Last edited by foggedz; 10-14-2005 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Banned

See stickie on title board about Comp "R" lifters. Put a set of stock lifter's in and be done with it. They will take ya past 500HP and 7000RPM's.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:35 PM

The stock lifters have nothing to do with it. I just blew up a stock lifter, and the new replacements are comp r's. The stock lifters worked ok, but were only masking a more serious problem. If I put stock lifters in the car will probably run better, but they still are will not pump up correctly and eventually one of them will explode again. I just need to figure out why there is a lack of oil going to the number 3 cil lifters, and the probem shoud be taken care of.