LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

HELP! Oil pressure drops to zero when braking hard!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 04:49 PM

HELP! Oil pressure drops to zero when braking hard!!!

Ok guys, I noticed this happening for the first time today on the way to work. I hit the brakes hard, and suddenly saw my "Check Guages" light on. This is the first time I've ever noticed this. On the way home, I tried it again. Sure enough, under hard braking, the oil pressure will drop to zero, everytime. I did just change the oil today, but it got it's usual 5 quarts. Should I maybe try to overfill it? The dip stick shows that it is full. I do have the stock oil pan, but have rebuilt the motor, and I went with a brand new Melling High Volume oil pump. Is is possible that so much oil stays in the block b/c of the HV pump, that not enough stays in the pan, and when I brake it sloches away from the pick up tube? I'm lost. I cannot continue to have this problem though. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2003, 04:52 PM

There is the possibility that the oil pickup tube has come off the pump.
Old 07-19-2003, 04:57 PM
Banned

sounds like the pickup is being uncovered cause the oil is all going to the front of the pan. or as shoebox said, maybe it fell off, you should always weld those on.
Old 07-19-2003, 04:58 PM

Crap....any instructions on the easiest way to drop the pan in the car?
Old 07-19-2003, 05:41 PM

pull motor.
Old 07-19-2003, 06:05 PM

pulling the motor isn't going to cut it.
Old 07-19-2003, 06:37 PM
Banned

not sure how you are gonna get it out without at least raising the motor a bit since its so close to the kmember
Old 07-19-2003, 06:45 PM

I don't mind raising it a bit...but I don't want to pull it again. The motor has been out of the car more than it has been in it.

I'd like to add that the car holds 50-60 PSI oil pressure at idle, and almost 80 PSI while driving.

Last edited by bad96firechikin; 07-19-2003 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:07 PM

Before I go to the trouble of dropping the oil pan, I can't help but think that maybe there is a connection to me changing my oil today. I know I put in 5 1/2 quarts, and I know I didn't double-gasket the filter. I also ran the car last night at the track, and I wonder if there is a connection there also. Any suggestions?
Old 07-19-2003, 09:39 PM

That really sounds like the pick-up fell off Maybe this would be a good time to switch to a tubular k-member
Old 07-19-2003, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by bad96firechikin
Before I go to the trouble of dropping the oil pan, I can't help but think that maybe there is a connection to me changing my oil today. I know I put in 5 1/2 quarts, and I know I didn't double-gasket the filter. I also ran the car last night at the track, and I wonder if there is a connection there also. Any suggestions?
If you drained your oil and then rapped with a mallet on the bottom of the pan, you might hear the pickup rebounding inside, if it is laying on the bottom. If you hear it rattling around, then you know it fell off. If you don't, it may or may not be. It's not a foolproof test, just a suggestion.
Old 07-19-2003, 10:11 PM

I appreciate the advise Shoebox. I did an interesting experiment a little earlier. I first got the car to speed, then slammed the brake and held the clutch, and of course the oil pressure fell to zero again. The next several times, I got the car to speed, threw it in neutral, and held the engine at 3000 RPM and 80 PSI oil pressure, while I slammed the brake and brought the car to a halt. The oil pressure never dropped past the 40 PSI mark in all of my attempts. If this were a problem with the pick-up tube coming uncovered, shouldn't the pressure fall of quicker if it is holding constant at 80 PSI when the car comes to a halt? I know the car did not have this problem this morning before I changed the oil. I'm going to change the filter tomorrow, and see if by some wierd freak accident it is related to the filter. Who knows.
Old 07-19-2003, 10:54 PM

Just in case you have to pull the pan I just did mine after dropping in new 385 and had 2 rods hitting the pan. You don't have to pull motor, just jack it up 3 inches, In my case I also lowered the K-Member a 1/2" and then the pan came out. Good Luck
Old 07-19-2003, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by RCF925
Just in case you have to pull the pan I just did mine after dropping in new 385 and had 2 rods hitting the pan. You don't have to pull motor, just jack it up 3 inches, In my case I also lowered the K-Member a 1/2" and then the pan came out. Good Luck
Ha! Was your car in Gm High Tech Performance?!?! Cool...Recognized it from your sig. Anyways, I've decided I'm just going to get an engine cradle to hold it up from the top side, then I'll loosen the K-member. Will I have to brake the brake lines loose, or is there enough slack in them that I won't?
Old 07-20-2003, 03:09 AM

Exclamation

I had the same problem with my 97 Camaro. I went under the car and pounded on the oil pan with my fist and heard a clank every time. I ordered a happy hooker from TPIS, lifted the motor high enough to pull the oil pan and fixed the oil pump pickup. Good Luck!!

Courtney

Quick Reply: HELP! Oil pressure drops to zero when braking hard!!!