LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help... Pulled my oil pan and...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 05:19 PM

Help... Pulled my oil pan and...

My thrust bearing has worn from .005 to .018 (end play) in about 6k miles. And it is all on the rear side of the bearing!
I'm thinking balooning TC? overtightened flywheel bolts? Over tightened balancer bolt?what else could cause this?

TC is a SY3500 (YANK) with solid mounts.
I have a Fairly small aftermarket trans cooler mounted in front of the radiator (no condensor).
The trans is otherwise stock.

I'm obviously going to replace that thrust bearing but if I change nothing it will happen again. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:14 PM

TTT
Old 05-26-2004, 10:45 PM

thats not right. i think i would check the converter. how much play do yo have between the tc and the flywheel? also with the dust cover off check the flywheel to see if its straight(just crank it and watch for any front to rear movement).

with the tc bolts out you should have about 1/8 inch movement for the converter. you dont want much more then that becouse there is only about 1/4 inch ear on the front pump.

if the tc is binding on the flywheel, it is also binding on your trans pump. thats a good way to kill the trans also.

uh, i just reread your post. is it pulling the crank?
Old 05-26-2004, 11:00 PM

no, it would be pushing.... the wear is on the trans/side or (rear) of the thrust bearing. so i suppose wed can rule out overtightened flywheel bolts. that would put wear on the front of the thrust bearing...
Old 05-26-2004, 11:05 PM

isnt there a little adjustment in the k-member mounts? is it possible that I rear-seated the kmember and I need to loosen all of those bolts and tap the K-member forward 1/10th of an inch?
Old 05-26-2004, 11:22 PM

OK, here we go. on a auto trans you shouldnt have any thrust wear. or minimal wear. now the manual cars have a direct hook and push on the crank more. auto's are "fluid coupling" so there isnt or shouldnt be any push on the crank. also the tc should be free before you bolt it up, if it has no room it puts the pump and the crank in a bind, i dont think you would get 6000 miles out of a tranny with the pump bound up, so i think the problem is in the engine. not he tranny.

to answer the last question the k member wouldnt affect this. it may put a bind on the mounts, but the bell housing takes all that pressure, not the crank.

it seems like a remember that the natural tendancy foe the crank in to push forward, mayby someone else can shin some light on it. but i dont think its in the trans.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:40 AM
Eff

no clearance... Im thinking the crnk is actually 1/8 too long.