LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help! Pulley kits actually work? Any problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 02:40 AM

Re: Help! Pulley kits actually work? Any problems?

Camaros, especially V8s, are fewer than ferraris around here. They couldn't tell if i move my engine in the trunk! What matters is what their device reads from the tip exhaust.

Last edited by flexus; 10-17-2006 at 02:59 AM.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:30 AM

I looked everywhere, no site explains how those Jet Hot long tube headers install. You said once you install them you need to relocate the cats. Is there room? Is there an install kit? Do the headers come with the adapters to move the cats? Or how does this work.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by flexus
I looked everywhere, no site explains how those Jet Hot long tube headers install. You said once you install them you need to relocate the cats. Is there room? Is there an install kit? Do the headers come with the adapters to move the cats? Or how does this work.
TPIS makes quality headers although expensive. With the mid-lengths you could use the '93-'95 single cat set-up. The long tubes come with a Y-pipe with cats. There are install instructions on the site to see what is involved.

http://www.tpis.com/index.php?module...aust%2FHeaders
Old 10-17-2006, 08:36 AM

http://ws6.com/mod-2.htm

This is a link to a dyno graph of a stock crank pulley vs an underdrive from Hypertech. The Hypertech is a 20 percent underdriven unit.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:07 AM

i dont know how much horsepower you really looking to gain but if you put royal purple synthetic oil in it you could gain 9 horses. which isnt really bad considering your just changeing oils. just an idea

http://royalpurple.com/video/video.html

check this vid out, its a dyno run proveing that it works.
watch the horsepower tv vid
Old 10-17-2006, 11:56 AM

Camaros, especially V8s, are fewer than ferraris around here. They couldn't tell if i move my engine in the trunk! What matters is what their device reads from the tip exhaust.
Well if all you have to do is pass the sniffer test then this really makes things a lot easier. You may also want to look at a good 93-95 shortie header system. The early Mac headers have a great reputation of fitting well, easy to install, great performance gains and the best spark plug access of any header. Here's a link to them. http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...f9582efe104c41

To use these headers you'd have to run just one cat instead of two. This is the way early 93-95 Camaros were and they passed the sniffer so if you don't have visual inspections this should work for you. There are also a few install guides for these headers.
http://www.fastblackcar.com/camaro/mac_headers.html
http://ken.lowrance.com/projects/Hea...derInstall.htm

You really probably should spend some time using the search function and read up on all the headers and their pros and cons and see how much you want to spend. Thunderracing has a nice setup that allows you to use the early headers but keep your dual cats but the setup is $1400.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:40 PM

Thanks for comments on pulleys!

About the headers, as far as i can see, if i go either 93-95 1 cat setup or long tube i have to buy cat/s and y pipe and who knows what more, so i end up with at least 900-1000 dolars. That seems to me right now VERY expensive... You said OEM replacement headers for my car wouldn't be effective, how much so? Or maybe it's just worth it to hold on for a while and buy a more expensive setup but at least i know i've gone for the best...

About your advice to search for answers in other threads, i tried but i keep getting swept by different topics, isn't really too efficient Maybe we can talk on Y! messanger or PMs if you would like to help me more... My ID is dumiflex.

Thanks for all the info!

Edit: Just noticed the Mac headers come with all tubing and Ypipe too, and cost under 500...which is good! The cat costs extra 220$. Also needs adaptation for the rear o2s...don't know anyone who can do that over here...

Last edited by flexus; 10-17-2006 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:35 PM

Just noticed the Mac headers come with all tubing and Ypipe too, and cost under 500...which is good! But the installation sites don't say where you get the Cat from and what happens to my 4 O2 sensors?

If they only do sniffer and don't do a hardcore visual etc. then the rear O2s can be taken care of with O2 simulators or removed in a custom tuned program, the forward O2s would have Bungs specific to them on the MAC headers.

But if a visual is done as well then you'll need a 2 cat system. I like the AS&Ms with the random tech dual cat-Y-pipe. They also make a high flow dual cat-y-pipe that mates up to the stock style dual cat headers (with cats in stock locations) now you won't see the gains of a longtube header and no cat with these, but you have to work with the law in most cases.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:47 PM

About the 93-95 type exhaust being installed on 96-97. I'm a little sceptical, i'm concerned about fitment, adaptation problems. The long tube setups for 96-97 as far as i can see aren't meant to be installed with cats?!? Or maybe i didn't read right...they are competition and don't include the option to install cats.

I found OEM replacement Pacesetter headers under 500$ with heat coating, they call them mid tube (probably marketing, they are OEM replace still).
http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/camaro.htm

Please adivse considering this. thanks
Old 10-17-2006, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by WS Sick
If they only do sniffer and don't do a hardcore visual etc. then the rear O2s can be taken care of with O2 simulators or removed in a custom tuned program, the forward O2s would have Bungs specific to them on the MAC headers.

But if a visual is done as well then you'll need a 2 cat system. I like the AS&Ms with the random tech dual cat-Y-pipe. They also make a high flow dual cat-y-pipe that mates up to the stock style dual cat headers (with cats in stock locations) now you won't see the gains of a longtube header and no cat with these, but you have to work with the law in most cases.
I am sure no-one here knows these cars, as long as sniffer shows clean and there are no inscriptions somewhere i can have either one or 2 cats... If you ask me i'd very much preffer long tube header with 1 or 2 cats behind it. I couldn't find anything like that so far tho.

And the older style exhaust, that Z95m6 recommended, with 1 cat, sounds good but as far as i can read it's not meant for my car. Not sure it's 100% compatible. And also, the kit costs 450$ and the cat behind it another 220, which all comes close to the 700$ a complete header, 2 cats, and ypipe kit for my '96-97 costs from MAC. And as far as i can see both systems have short headers. I think compared to these i'm better off with the pacesetters posted before.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:14 PM

The 93-95 shorty headers will bolt in fine, all air for a 94-95 will work for a 96-97, as will the EGR tube. The problem will be the cat-back, the 96-97 cat-back "I" pipe is different, so if you go that rout , you'll have to mate that up.

Most headers also do not come with a cat so you'll have to get one of those as well.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:36 PM

If you ask me i'd very much preffer long tube header with 1 or 2 cats behind it. I couldn't find anything like that so far tho.
I gave you a link in post #18. Click on to categories within that link.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:15 PM

I am sure no-one here knows these cars, as long as sniffer shows clean and there are no inscriptions somewhere i can have either one or 2 cats... If you ask me i'd very much preffer long tube header with 1 or 2 cats behind it. I couldn't find anything like that so far tho.

And the older style exhaust, that Z95m6 recommended, with 1 cat, sounds good but as far as i can read it's not meant for my car. Not sure it's 100% compatible. And also, the kit costs 450$ and the cat behind it another 220, which all comes close to the 700$ a complete header, 2 cats, and ypipe kit for my '96-97 costs from MAC. And as far as i can see both systems have short headers. I think compared to these i'm better off with the pacesetters posted before.

You can do the long tubes with 1 cat but the problem is that the farther the cats are away from the headers the longer they take to heat up and start working well. Putting 93-95 headers on a 96-97 is no big deal my buddy did it on his 97z28. You're also looking at very expensive cats, you can get a magnaflow cat that'll work for our cars for about $65 brand new off ebay. For almost any header/y-pipe you buy you'll need to plan on taking it to an exhaust shop to have it all mated up. You'll probably need something welded/modified by the time its all said and done. Those pacesetters are junk many people say you need to remove the headers to get to the spark plugs. Thats why you need to research the hell out of this.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:25 PM

Anaik: I already read it before! 2 things weren't right there though. First, "Off Road Use Only! These headers do not have air pump connections, or an EGR feed." At the same time though it sais there "This header could be used on the street". Pretty confusing. Don't understand why they would make the headers illegal in the first place and then give you the option of putting cats behind it With simple Ypipe it's 1000$. I can get that same thing from Jet Hot for 750$. With Ypipe with cats it's around 1200$. Even if this were a sniffer safe setup with no EGR/AIR tubes, it would be pretty damn expensive. I payed 10k euros for the car, sounds crazy to pay 1500 more for headers

After looking aroud more i've come to the decision after all...Either go illegal with long tubes for about 750$, or stay legal with OEM replacement headers for 500$ OR

There also seems to be the middle way... as far as i've read the '94-95 mac header has biger power, does fit everything except the back O2 sensors (which need simulators connected?), but legal at the same time. Someone also said there may be problems with the connection to my '96-97 cat-back. The header kit comes with Ypipe too, if i start from there, you said i could but off ebay cat to attach there? And from there an exhaust shop should be able to work their way to my catback right? Seems i came back to what you started me with!

So let's settle this then. Header and ypipe come together and fit. What goes next? The cat they suggest costs 200$ so something off ebay sounds good, but how do i find something that fits. And what goes after the cat? Does it plug in the catback or maybe it needs an extra pipe...

Last edited by flexus; 10-18-2006 at 05:56 AM.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:56 AM

On a 94-95 the cat attaches to the Y then at the back of it the cat-backs "I" pipe is bolted to a flange on the back of the cat, The dual cat-96-97 cars "I" pipes slip onto the Y-pipes outlets at teh back of the transmission, an "S" pipe would be needed to mate the 96-97 Cat-back around over to the outlet of the cat on the back of a 94-95 set-up.

Clear as mud? thought so....lol

If you have an aftermarket cat now I would have a pipe fabbed to go over to the 94-95 cat exit. If you still have the stock cat-back, just buy a 94-95 cat-back. the only thing to be fabbed now (after the cat is welded into place is a flange on the back of the cat to bolt the cat-back to.

Someone else may chime in, but I'm not sure the aftermarket cats come with the back flange on them for specific applications.

Quick Reply: Help! Pulley kits actually work? Any problems?