LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help pulling a lt1 from the top?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 05:10 PM

Help pulling a lt1 from the top?

Is it better to pull the motor and trans or unbolt the trans when pulling from the top?Thanks for your help!
Old 12-26-2004, 05:42 PM

Re: Help pulling a lt1 from the top?

it's better to go from the bottum, trust me i have experienced both
Old 12-26-2004, 05:54 PM

You will definitly need to unbolt the trans. There just is not enough room to get both out without getting into some radical engine angles using a engine hoist

-Shannon
Old 12-26-2004, 06:51 PM

must unbolt tranny before it somes out from the top. i just did a v6 to a lt1 swap, pulled the v6 from the top. installed the k-member then installed the engine from the top with the hood still on by myself. i didnt have a problem with it. but i left the intake and the valve covers off to help. the radiator was also out.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by 1970z28
must unbolt tranny before it somes out from the top. i just did a v6 to a lt1 swap, pulled the v6 from the top. installed the k-member then installed the engine from the top with the hood still on by myself. i didnt have a problem with it. but i left the intake and the valve covers off to help. the radiator was also out.

You don't have to unbolt the transmission. Quite a few people take them out connected from the top. I am taking mine out right now , but when I do , I unbolt the engine, but when I put it back this time , I may connect them . I have seen pictures ,and talked to people on this forum that do it that way. I think the main thing when taking them out together is to have the car jacked up high enough. I think someone said the minimum is about 15 - 17 inches for it to work that way. I did some measuring last time and that seems like it's about right. Although if you could get the car closer to 2 feet or higher , it would be easier.

To the original poster , I don't know if one way is "better", but it is probably "easier" take the engine out by itself. When I tooke mine out the last time, after we hooked the chain up to the block, the engine was seriously probably out of the car within five minutes. Just turn the engine side ways in the engine bay 90 degrees , with the front and back of the engine facing the shock towers. When you turn it like that , nothing is sticking up under the winshield (which is the case with 4th gen cars when the engine is facing forward). So then you can just lift it up like a "normal car", and pull the engine hoist back.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:01 PM

I pulled mine from the top, but next time I will take the hood off. I unbolted the tranny from it, but they will go back in as one.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:12 PM

i say both are about the same dificulty easier in some respects more dificult in others but as for the tranny issue as long as you pop the shifter off first and thenjack the rear end up as high as it can go it will give you the angles and the clearance you need to pull it from the top
Old 12-26-2004, 09:23 PM

Ive done both within the last 2 weeks. Bottom is 10x easyer imo. Its also a bonus because you can put it in from the bottom fully assembled.(headers ect...) Bottom took me 5 hours with several warmup breaks, and it was my first time. Took me longer to take out the damn radiator then the 6 cradle bolts.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by bbuice
Is it better to pull the motor and trans or unbolt the trans when pulling from the top?Thanks for your help!
I sent you a PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by niteninja
I pulled mine from the top, but next time I will take the hood off. I unbolted the tranny from it, but they will go back in as one.

Yeah. I took the hood off also. Some say they have left it , but I will take it off again.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:10 AM
Banned

You can pull both at once,but you need a "Happy Hooker" Or you can leave the tranny in the car on a jack. Either way it's pretty simple with a lifting device like the hooker.
Take off all front end acce's and the balancer,radiator(leave air condenser),take air compressor off and let it stay in the frame don't have to break any lines,PS same way.Turn front of engine to the drivers side and come on out. You may have to take the bolts out of the ABS block so it won't rub and thats it.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by 1racerdude
You can pull both at once,but you need a "Happy Hooker" Or you can leave the tranny in the car on a jack. Either way it's pretty simple with a lifting device like the hooker.
Take off all front end acce's and the balancer,radiator(leave air condenser),take air compressor off and let it stay in the frame don't have to break any lines,PS same way.Turn front of engine to the drivers side and come on out. You may have to take the bolts out of the ABS block so it won't rub and thats it.
That's basically the way I did it , I left the transmission on jacks, and lowered them and slid it from under the car later. I also removed all acce's from the front and left the AC. I did remove the power steering though but if I can leave it this time I will.

The only thing I did different was to turn the front of the engine to the passenger sid. LOL.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:07 AM
Banned

There is a little more room to the drivers side with the ABS block loose.