LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help with ticking 383 (brand new engine) VIDEO!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 08:12 AM

Re: Help with ticking 383 (brand new engine) VIDEO!

any solution to the problem yet?
Old 09-26-2006, 01:47 PM

Other than the rockers hitting something, that engine sounds sweet. Very mean idle. Sounds like a race engine actually all muffled up.

Karl Ellwein
Old 09-26-2006, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by HardcoreRM125
Josh reread what I said.

I dont think it is a loose rocker arm. I just said that. It doesnt "Clack" like a loose rocker. I think your rocker is hitting something. It may not be clearing the top of the spring/retainer. Or it may be touching your valve cover.

I would remove all 16 of them, looking for one that has ANY signs of wear, on any part of it. Sides of the Trunion, rocker arm up by the roller tip, but on the bottom side ( Like if it was clipping the retainer ).

Start it with the covers off, its not THAT messy. Nothing cardboard doesnt fix. Then take a stethescope ( Or if your ghetto-engineering, gets the best of you ) or screw driver, and go along the whole head on each side trying to pinpoint where the noise is from.
I wasnt trying to tell you it wasnt a loose rocker. I was telling the 3 posters before you At least you believe me

I think you are correct about the rocker to valve cover problem. I looked closely at all of my rockers. I saw that on one of them the adjusting nut was higher up on the stud than the others. This one rocker is an oddball. It had been replaced, and is a newer style than the other rockers. Its a taller rocker. I found a little mark on the valve cover. I then massaged it out a little When I ran it it was much quieter. Now I have a slight tapping, but not as loud as before. I think tomorrow Ill massage it a little more, then do the same around every rocker in case one of them is tapping too.

Hopefully this takes care of all the noise. Then I may modify a set of polished aluminum valve covers I have. I bought them for the LT1, but they were the type without the notch for the alternator. Ill need something else after I dent out my stockers for clearance. This thing looks too good to have dented valve covers

Last edited by Josh'95Z28conv; 09-26-2006 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:53 PM

Oh yea, I picked up some of those RR oil hole plug/clips. They suck. The oil hole on these crowers points at an angle toward the stud, and the plug part of these things hits the adjusting nut when the pushrod comes up and rotates the rocker back. I couldnt run it with them.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:56 PM

Oh yea, I picked up some of those RR oil hole plug/clips. They suck.
That made my night. lol. ****ty deal about the problem, hopefully it will be easy. Good luck man, nice build.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Josh'95Z28conv
Oh yea, I picked up some of those RR oil hole plug/clips. They suck. The oil hole on these crowers points at an angle toward the stud,

I don't understand why oil would be splattering all over? Are you running a HV pump? I didn't realize the oil hole on your rockers was at an angle or I would've told you not to bother.
Basically if you still want to adjust them while the car is running then have a second person in the driver's seat and only adjust one cylinder at a time and kill the car until you're ready to do the next one. Only takes a few seconds for each cylinder if you know what you're doing.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by SS RRR

I don't understand why oil would be splattering all over? Are you running a HV pump? I didn't realize the oil hole on your rockers was at an angle or I would've told you not to bother.
HV pump yes. I may try and fab something up to block the oil.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:23 AM

Try these

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....store&tool=all

Only $8.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:47 PM

Glad to hear you likely have it straightened out. Awesome car btw.

And I just used a pice of cardboard from the head to the fender-well, but mine barely spit any oil out since their PM's and Hi Techs on a stock pump.

Good luck with it.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by speedygonzales
Im calling my snap on man now so he can make sure they are in his truck by the time I see him on friday. I searched forever last night and couldnt find anything. Thanks man
Old 10-01-2006, 12:07 AM

Found the problem. It was a bad rocker arm. I bought those snap on oil retention clips. They looked great, but sucked. They fell off when the engine was running (they fit tight too). Oh well. I finally built a cardboard barrier that went up to the cowl to keep the oil off the exhaust. It worked alright, lol.

With the valve cover off, I went rocker to rocker with a screwdriver listening. I found one making a ton of noise. I adjusted it. It helped, but still made a lot of noise. I swapped it with another. The noise followed the rocker arm. I think its a little worn between the rocker body and the center shaft even though it dont feel that much different than the others. You can see where the previous owner had clearance problems with this rocker arm, and I bet that caused premature wear. I was able to get most of the noise to go away by setting the preload around 1/4 turn.

Now my knock retard is zero at idle compared to 7 degrees before. It comes up to 7 degrees at the most at part throttle when driving, and no more than 5 at wot, although I havnt went wot past 3.5k rpm, lol.

This thing drives great. I cant belive I have this kind of engine, and can cruise at 1.5k rpm in 6th gear, and it will still accelerate when I step on it.

Ill be ordering a new rocker arm asap. Ill then get this thing broken in and strap it to a dyno to let ya all know what kind of power its putting down
Old 10-01-2006, 12:37 AM

I think you are correct about the rocker to valve cover problem. I looked closely at all of my rockers. I saw that on one of them the adjusting nut was higher up on the stud than the others. This one rocker is an oddball. It had been replaced, and is a newer style than the other rockers. Its a taller rocker. I found a little mark on the valve cover. I then massaged it out a little When I ran it it was much quieter. Now I have a slight tapping, but not as loud as before. I think tomorrow Ill massage it a little more, then do the same around every rocker in case one of them is tapping too.

Hopefully this takes care of all the noise. Then I may modify a set of polished aluminum valve covers I have. I bought them for the LT1, but they were the type without the notch for the alternator. Ill need something else after I dent out my stockers for clearance. This thing looks too good to have dented valve covers
You threw everyone for a loop when you said it made the same tapping sound with the valve covers off. Glad to hear you likely found the noise.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by 97bowtie
You threw everyone for a loop when you said it made the same tapping sound with the valve covers off. Glad to hear you likely found the noise.
Read my last post. The valve cover was only part of the problem. I have a bad rocker arm.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:20 PM

Read my last post. The valve cover was only part of the problem. I have a bad rocker arm.
I didn't see that post. That's what I get for leaving the reply window open for so long.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:58 PM

Finally got my new rocker arm today. Problem solved. Its nice and quiet now

Quick Reply: Help with ticking 383 (brand new engine) VIDEO!