LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help, very bad steering problems.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 02:22 AM

Arrow Help, very bad steering problems.

I start my car and back out of my drive way with no problem. I go down my neighbor hood road and go to make a left turn on to a busy highway. As I start to make my turn the wheel stops turning. I'm fortunate no one was behind me so I backed up. The wheel was still very hard to turn and even seemed to bounce back to a more a straight position if I let go of it. This has happened to me before but only when I go to back out of my driveway. It would be like trying to back out of my drive way if I was driving a tank with manual steering. Ironic thing is this only seems to happen when my car has sat up over night. I can go work a 10+ hour day and so far I have not had any problems with my steering coming home (something I'm thankful for). The pump sounds normal and my fluid levels are fine so I'm guessing something is messed up with my rack and pinion. I'm not going to be able to get my car into a shop tomorrow (more likely Wednesday or Thursday) but I will have enough time to jack my car up myself and look under it. Any idea what could be causing this? I start back to college in a week and I do not want to lose my steering at a busy intersection.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 01-11-2005, 07:51 AM

Re: Help, very bad steering problems.

Take a look at the belt to see if it's loose or wet. Check the input shaft to the power steering pump for play or dampness. If so, start there. Check the hoses from the pump for leaks all the way to the rack. If all that looks ok, you either have a pump problem or rack and pinion problem.

Try turning the wheel from lock to lock and back again with the engine running, sitting still in the driveway. If you get to a spot that you just can't turn the wheel, more than likely it's the rack. My 99 truck has that problem. You can get an aftermarket rack for about $300.00.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:35 AM

Look to see if coolant is dripping out of the water pump weep hole. It's located at the bottom of the water pump and drips directly onto your accessory belt. This could be the source of your steering issue and also warning that the water pump is failing.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:17 PM

I forgot to menition this but when I was going to work last night I heard a loud tud and I felt something hit the floor board as I went to make a left turn. What is weird is their was nothing in the road and I didn't see nothing come out the back of the car. Buddy of mine that works at Chevrolet dealership told me it is not worth the risk driving the car, I need to have it towed.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:10 PM

Had the car taken to a shop, the rack came out find. Mechanic thinks it is my rims causing the problem. Their locking up inside the fender wells.