LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Hey self Port and Polish dudes correct me if I'm wrong

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 02:15 PM

Hey self Port and Polish dudes correct me if I'm wrong

Hey guys....I started on my heads today with my dremel and my die grinder. There isn't much material to remove is there? Way less than I expected. I'm wondering if I'm missing something because everyone said it took them like 30 hours or so. I did all my intakes within in 2 hours. Is there something I'm not doing right? I went with my dremel and a carbide bit first then with the 80 grit. I just did the intake only. I need to know where is the time consuming part?

thanks....
Old 09-09-2003, 03:20 PM

Re: Hey self Port and Polish dudes correct me if I'm wrong

Originally posted by S.J.S.
Hey guys....I started on my heads today with my dremel and my die grinder. There isn't much material to remove is there? Way less than I expected. I'm wondering if I'm missing something because everyone said it took them like 30 hours or so. I did all my intakes within in 2 hours. Is there something I'm not doing right? I went with my dremel and a carbide bit first then with the 80 grit. I just did the intake only. I need to know where is the time consuming part?

thanks....

hey search my name and enter the word "port" in the word search, and search titles only. and you will find alot of good info from all the question i aksed. my advice is ask allot of questions before you go any farther.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Ai

2hrs with a dremel eh

Dunno.. by no means am I slow, but I can run a die grinder WFO, along with an alumacut burr to get most of the material out of the way before I finish them up with a single-cut... and by the time I'm done I've got 20hrs in it & a pile of chips that'd probably scare you . Probably 3/4 of that time is spent on the intakes.

Sounds like you've done what most homeport stuff ends up as.. smoothed out things a lil bit, made it look different - maybe picked up a few cfm here or there, but nothing drastic .
Old 09-09-2003, 04:18 PM

You probably have just barely scratched the surface, as Phil says.

Dont polish the intake stuff.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:13 PM

Dr.Mudge, What he said
Old 09-09-2003, 05:44 PM

Hey 97z-m6, Skardom, and Dr. M....I read up on all your posts regarding this subject. The main thing I see is "raise the roof". I take it the "roof" is the top of the intake port that leads to the valve guide. The "floor" would be the side of the head that connects to the block. So what you guys were saying is to leave the material on the sides and the botttom and concentrate on the roof. The outter upper outside corners of the ports look like there is a lot to be removed. What is "the shortside of the exhaust port"?

I dont understand "do not lower the floor of remove metal that would not let the port come stright off of the seat before turning to shortside/floor.up"

Thanks....dunno what I would do without this damn board. lol
Old 09-09-2003, 09:12 PM

ttt
Old 09-11-2003, 01:38 AM

Okay I know now. When I did it it was only the intake ports guys. I didn't clarify myself. I started the bowls today and can see where the time is. By the looks of things I will be doing these for about 6 hours lol. Then its off to the exhaust.

A couple of questions. In the bowl, when your done is the base of the bowl same all the way around or should it come up (raise) on the intake runner side?

Also do you polish the bowls? Intake or exhaust? Or is the only place you polish the exhaust runner?

Is that tear drop shape in the bowls necessary? If so do you do it on both Intake and Exhaust? And do they face toward the entry/exits of each bowl?

thanks all.

Last edited by S.J.S.; 09-11-2003 at 01:55 AM.