LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Hey SHOEBOX....I gotta ask.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by RedPhenx
you mean before you could drive THAT car? or that is one heck of an early retirement!
My first car was a hand-me-down from an older brother (I still had to give some $$ for it). 1962 Chevy II that was in need of a valve job, clutch and numerous other repairs. Great car to learn things on (actually a 4 cylinder). It was kinda like half a small block V8 .

Some cars, including the early Chevy II/Novas were called "shoeboxes" because of the boxy body.
When I got my second car (1957 Chevy), it and the 55-56's also had taken on the shoebox nickname. I decided to use the name when venturing out on the internet bulletin boards. I still have my 57 that I bought in 1971, so that should tell you that I'm no spring chicken.

Sorry for the non-tech posts. I'm going to have to get onto myself.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:35 PM

I'm not currently employed, if you guys were wondering... Oh, wait... This is Rob's chance to shine
Old 12-05-2003, 11:45 PM

Shoebox, If you were to set up a PayPal link, I'm sure a lot of us would be more than happy to drop a few bills for your many words of knowledge. I sure would! You've been a great help for everybody! I just hope your alarm install page is right
Old 12-05-2003, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by shoebox
Boy, would that be nice!

At the moment, I am self employed after taking an early retirement offer a couple of years ago from SBC/ASI (Maintenance Engineering). That is why I can spend so much time on this board. If I were to put a PayPal donation button on my Tech Page, would anyone click it?

I have been playing and learning about the 4th gens since I bought mine used in 1998. I was doing car repair before I could drive.
Hey, Rob...hope you don't mind me chiming in...

My thoughts are that Shoebox takes his 'hobby' very seriously. At at glance, I can tell you he must read everything he can lay his hands on (from factory manuals to obscure LT1 web pages) and has a gifted skill with a digital camera.

I agree that he's a godsend when you need hard-fast answers, but for all the respect, I doubt any of you would apply if the job listing looked like this:

WANTED: Very sharp self-starter who can digest and retain large amounts of information, including b&w diagrams and very dry reading. Must understand engine and electrical theory, as well as a willingness to get dirty/endure injury at your own personal cost. No compensation for incidents, aside from personal satisfaction, will be offered. Must be able to assist any and all, regardless of color/race/creed or experience level. Hours vary - No holiday or vacation pay. Pay consumate with experience. (Oh, wait...this is a charity position - Scratch that!)

On another note...Newb, sorry 'bout the other night. Apology unnecessary...just one of those nights when something trips my trigger.

Take care,

M

Last edited by Unique07; 12-05-2003 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry for the non-tech posts. I'm going to have to get onto myself.
Yeah!

Just kidding... for this, I can make an exception I do believe

You've provided an incredible amount of help to everyone here... especially over the last year. I think about a year ago I was like 5 thousand or so posts above you and you've done passed me up! Your replies aren't simply "yeah, do that." either. They are often times at least a paragraph with a great explanation. So, when people want to post an off topic post and thank the board members who help them out, we'll often times let those slide and stay in the tech forum

Not to slight some of the other guys here either though... there are probably 25 or so people that provide (guessing) 75% of the answers. HOWEVER, the other 25% that is answered by the people who rarely post or only reply once in a while and mostly just read, are important too! A combination like this is what makes this such a great board IMO.

Be sure to stay mostly retired, shoebox, because if you went down to posting like a "normal" person everyone else would have to pick up the slack and I'd probably we worn out in a week. LOL!
Old 12-06-2003, 10:11 AM

Brent, from discussions we have had, I know you spend a lot of your own money to keep your incredible website going. You could use a donation button, yourself.

I agree, that there a lot of people that provide good expertise and deserve everyone's thanks.
One reason I hang out here, is to learn stuff myself. I have tailored a lot of the information on my website, due to questions asked on this board. It only seems fitting to provide info that people really need. Now, if I could only get finished with that EGR page I have been working on.

Mark (Unique07): thanks for the comments. You really have been spending too much time with resumes.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:17 PM

I blew a head gasket last spring, and having never worked on a car before (knowing about how a car works though) I was able to fix it myself due to this website.

So to Shoebox, this site, and everyone else:

Old 12-07-2003, 12:39 AM

Well, something I always wanted to know but never did ask.
Shoebox is one of the rare individuals who donate thier time and expertise to help others.
Alot of us try but are constrained by work and other things, Shoebox may have a little time on his hands but he makes it a point to be on here and answer questions.
He should get paid for all the money he,s saved us.
I,ve said it before but I,ll say it again.
Thank You Shoebox!! You make all of our lives a little easier.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:06 AM

Rob is doing something he loves to do. Look at his tech page, that is an example of his dedication. I find it hard to imagine the work that was put into it. Don't offer him money, just thank him.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:39 AM

I'm fairly new to the site, having been here for probably less then 6 months and I've learned QUITE A BIT from all of you guys. Including Shoebox (who's site I've spent a lot of time on.) This is my 1st LT1, and as I've stated before, just coming here and doing some reading to pass the time is good for the brain.

Thank you everyone!
Old 12-07-2003, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Brent, from discussions we have had, I know you spend a lot of your own money to keep your incredible website going. You could use a donation button, yourself.
I've had over the years probably around 5 serious people approach me wanting to "go in with me" to turn my site into a pay site. They have all these wonderful ideas how money can be made with the info provided on the site. I try to explain to them that this is my hobby and I do it because I ENJOY it and I enjoy helping others and sharing what I have learned. I try to tell them that I think the second I turn the info provided on the site into a pay site that it is no longer a hobby and the fun and enjoyment I now get out of my hobby will no longer be there. It is hard for them to understand this and they say I'm missing a great opportunity. I just tell them I'd rather work a few hours of overtime at work each week than make my f-body buds pay for info. Plus, if most other f-body guys are as cheap as myself, they'd just as soon hunt for hours for the info rather than pay for it. LOL!

For the site costs, I tried banner ads and that didn't work. I've provided free advertising for many businesses over the years and it is hard to get them to pay for something they had been getting for free. LOL! However, I have found a good middle ground by selling F-Body vinyl for cheaper than about anybody else and also selling Firebird headlight gears so my Firebird buds don't have to lose an arm just to fix their headlight problems. LOL! It works good for all I think... cheap stickers and a cheap headlight fix for all and for me it pays for the site and I get some beer money to boot

For you, Rob, I don't think the donation button is a bad idea, actually. It keeps the site free but allows others to give you a buck or two if they want. However, in the end, if you are like me and I'm pretty sure you are, you wouldn't be doing this for money... you do it because it is something you really enjoy doing! Heck, I got a call at 5am this morning and could have worked today and made more in one shift than I used to make in three weeks. However, what do I chose to do instead... read and post on camaroz28.com. LOL!
Old 12-07-2003, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by Brent94Z
I try to explain to them that this is my hobby and I do it because I ENJOY it and I enjoy helping others and sharing what I have learned. I try to tell them that I think the second I turn the info provided on the site into a pay site that it is no longer a hobby and the fun and enjoyment I now get out of my hobby will no longer be there.
Thank GAWD!!!
Old 12-07-2003, 05:28 PM

Yeah Brent, I understand and I don't want anyone to be bothered with ads or other junk when they need help, so I don't want to go commercial. I also don't want to come off as a mercenary or something (though it wouldn't hurt to have a buck or two to help defray the cost of the new website space). No way I would make my site a "pay to enter" type of deal.

Hmm...I remember double overtime pay. Sure was nice.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:41 PM

I'm not sure our appreciation could truly be expressed in monetary terms, so I'll just say "thanks" to you, Rob.

You and Brent are LT1tech-pimps .

However, I'd be more than happy to donate some "web" money for bandwidth - I know I get my money's worth.

Ryan
Old 12-07-2003, 05:59 PM

ive never noticed the tech page before now but heck id be willing to donate too...its more than helpful...i shoulda spent that chilton money donating to you

Quick Reply: Hey SHOEBOX....I gotta ask.