LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

high flow cats...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 08:14 PM

high flow cats...

When I have my Pacesetter LT's installed with my Loudmouth, I am going to have a muffler shop weld all the crap together with high flow cats...

LTs, Y, High flow cats, Loudmouth Catback

My question is this, which high flow cats would be best to go with? I always see carsound cats I think they are called? Where would I get them? I never really looked up prices or anything for high flow cats... I just want them to tone down the Loudmouth with headers because I don't like the sound without the cats.

Also, which Y should I go with? I was thinking of bolting the headers on and then driving it somewhere to have a custom Y, with the cats/catback welded on. What do you guys think?
Old 02-17-2005, 08:28 PM

Re: high flow cats...

the cats you can find on ebay: http://motors.search.ebay.com/carsou...fsopZ2QQfsooZ2
Old 02-17-2005, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisUlrich
When I have my Pacesetter LT's installed with my Loudmouth, I am going to have a muffler shop weld all the crap together with high flow cats...

LTs, Y, High flow cats, Loudmouth Catback

My question is this, which high flow cats would be best to go with? I always see carsound cats I think they are called? Where would I get them? I never really looked up prices or anything for high flow cats... I just want them to tone down the Loudmouth with headers because I don't like the sound without the cats.

Also, which Y should I go with? I was thinking of bolting the headers on and then driving it somewhere to have a custom Y, with the cats/catback welded on. What do you guys think?
So you dont actually need the cats? That sounds like a waste of money to me.. Look up borlamouth some people take the loudmouth resonators out and put borla XR1 racing mufflers in their place.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:51 PM

You are gonna want to have a custom y pipe made. There might be a brand out there that makes a catted y pipe for long tubes but I havent seen one. I have been tring to get my hooker cat back installed for two weeks now. No shop will work on my exhaust unless I put a cat on. They all treat me like the anti christ for modifing my car. After going to every exhaust shop in town I considered getting a cat and when I went to look where it would have to go on my off road Y there wasn't any room for one let alone two Oh well, I guess I will spend the install money on a new floor jack to help get the job done.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:38 PM

Like said above youll need a custom ypipe for cats. They need to be placed as close as possible to the motor so that means right after the headers. The ypipe you have either needs to be modified or you need a whole new ypipe. Also if you plan on running LTs, ypipe and LM exhaust without cats then you might wanna invest in some hearing protection because that combo is very loud.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:50 PM

Closest to the motor? Really? Why?

I want the cats because it'll deafen the noise a little but plus it sounds seriously badass
Old 02-18-2005, 11:24 PM

You want the cats as close as possible so that they get hot enough to work. I was told by one place that they wouldn't get hot enough to work if you put two on there because you'll only have half as much hot exhaust gas going through each. He said 4 cylinder cars use air injection into the cat to help get them hot enough. The guy sounded like he knew what he was talking about too.
I have jet hot LTs with two carsound cats, and I had a y-pipe made by a custom shop. I called five places or so who wouldn't do the job even though I told them I was putting cats in there. The reason everyone is afraid to do it I was told is that there is a huge fine for any shop tampering with emissions equipment; like $10k. There's a fine for the owner too if he tampers with any emissions equipment I was told; like $2k or something. So if this is correct and, for example, you pulled your airpump off and you somehow got caught, you'd have a large fine to pay. The shop I went to charged $350 for the job. He did excellent work though. One upside to cats or a muffler as opposed to completely open exhaust is that a little backpressure helps the bottom end power. If you do some searching you can find some posts where guys have gotten a cutout and wondered why they don't have as much power below ~3000 RPMs. But you will have more power above ~3000 with completely open exhaust than you will if you have cats or a muffler on there.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by bluemaggot
You want the cats as close as possible so that they get hot enough to work. I was told by one place that they wouldn't get hot enough to work if you put two on there because you'll only have half as much hot exhaust gas going through each. He said 4 cylinder cars use air injection into the cat to help get them hot enough. The guy sounded like he knew what he was talking about too.
I dont buy that considering these cars came with dual(2) cats after 95. Hell, most Fords have 4 cats.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:57 PM

Yea, but the dual cats on post-95 f-bodies are in series, not parallel. And do the Fords have the cats in series, and also do the cats have air injection, or some other method to make them run hotter?
I don't know enough to resolve the issue but I do have access to a laser temp reader. When I get around to it I'll find out what my cats are running at to see if they're getting hot enough to work.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:25 PM

we have air injection too, and it only works on startup, then it shuts off. youd be perfectly fine with dual cats, its not like they are going to run cold since you have two, its an exhaust system for godsake. random tech makes dual cat y pipes for these cars, many people have run dual cats, i think two is a perfect idea. ive heard that the loudmouth sounds worlds better with cats, so two will definately help in taking out the ridiculous rasp that LTs and the loudmouth bring

oh yea, a custom y pipe is what youd want... ive never heard of anyone having two cats one after another on the same pipe if thats what you are referring to. just use two after the header collectors, and the pipe extended off of that into the catback. just drive with open headers to the muffler shop and have them fab it up for ya, that would be the best option for cats and LTs by far if you ask me.

Last edited by Makaveli; 02-19-2005 at 04:31 PM. Reason: reread the original post
Old 02-19-2005, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by bluemaggot
Yea, but the dual cats on post-95 f-bodies are in series, not parallel. And do the Fords have the cats in series, and also do the cats have air injection, or some other method to make them run hotter?
I don't know enough to resolve the issue but I do have access to a laser temp reader. When I get around to it I'll find out what my cats are running at to see if they're getting hot enough to work.
The dual cat cars are in parallel... 1 cat bolted to each manifold.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:42 PM

Thats what I was thinking of... I was going to drive to Meineke with Open headers then ask them to fab up the Y with the High flow cats and the Loudmouth.

So how would it go?

LT's, Cats, Y, LM?

Or...

LT's, Y, Cats, LM?

The first one makes more sense to me but I am not totally sure.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:54 PM

the first one is the only one that will work if you want dual cats, id highly suggest that.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:23 PM

You wont be able to put the cat right at th collector of the pacesetter, there is a brace for the floor pan right where they dump. On the driverside the pacesetter y pipe is actually flattened at this point so ther is no way you will be able to get cat there that is bigger diameter than 3". I also think you are going to run into some major clearance issues. You will probably have to reroute brake lines and fuel lines also if you do a cat since then radiate a lot of heat. It would have to go after that brace. There are both brake and fuel lines that run by this floor brace and then down the tunnel for the tranny/ds which is right where that cat would be.

All of there prblems are on the Driverside, the passenger side is clear.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by turbo_Z
The dual cat cars are in parallel... 1 cat bolted to each manifold.
I swallow my words. I hate misinformation, and reprove myself bitterly for being responsible for spreading it. I was sure they were in series.

Quick Reply: high flow cats...