LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

High Idle Problem with 58mm BKK... SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 03:04 PM

High Idle Problem with 58mm BKK... SOLVED

OK so I upgraded my 52mm BBK TB a couple months back and ever since I have been getting this high idle problem where if I am normally driving around and push in the clutch, put the car in neutral the engine will idle at like 1500-2000 rpms, then I have to tap on the gas pedal really fast and then the rpms will come back down to where there supposed to be around 900. Well I adjusted the TPS sensor like a million times thinking that was the issue which it wasn't. So then I replaced the throttle cable as well. Still no fix. I decided to take the TB off today and inspect it and I just found the problem.

It turns out that there was a little bit of play in the shaft of the TB where you can turn the linkage part where the cable goes back and forth by hand very slightly and you can see the blades open and close just a tiny bit. Enough to be causing this erratic idle. CLICK HERE TO SEE VIDEO You will notice how the linkage is moving but the part where the return spring is, is not moving. That is where the problem is.

I called BBK about this issue and they said that they have realized that this is an issue and that I could send my TB back to them to be fixed. Rather than wait I took it upon myself to just weld the linkage plates together so that they all move together and so that there is no way for there to be any kinda play in them. See pics below.

Problem solved. Works great now. Just thought I would share as I seen when searching the forum that others have had this issue as well.

Last edited by TwEaKeDSS; 05-27-2007 at 03:51 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:29 PM

Nice work, good info too!
Old 03-05-2007, 04:15 PM

Just saw the exact same problem on another car. He solved it the same way you did.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:53 PM

good find...now i can only hope this fixes mine too haha
Old 03-05-2007, 05:22 PM

You guys must be the "second generation" to discover this problem and it's fix because this was an issue over 7 years ago and that's how we fixed it then. What I don't get is why BBK is still selling them like that - there's really no excuse for it.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:22 PM

Just a note to people without welders, something like epoxy might work but youl'l need to keep it controlled to make sure you don't put the shaft in a bind by bonding the moving parts to the nonmoving parts, I'm not sure if itd work in this situation but my favorite epoxy style product in place of welding is quicksteel, mix it well before you apply and let it setup overnight and its damn strong, I'm just not sure how well it would bond to the metal in this situation.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
You guys must be the "second generation" to discover this problem and it's fix because this was an issue over 7 years ago and that's how we fixed it then. What I don't get is why BBK is still selling them like that - there's really no excuse for it.
I don't know about all that because I had a 52mm BBK that never had this issue. In any case it is pretty rediclious that it's like that in the first place. It's not like these things are cheap.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
Common now, its nice to see some post some good tech with pics... especially lately.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:02 AM

a "barney" in every crowd

barney = hater

Why bother knocking someone down who is trying to provide helpful information???

That kind of attitude blows me away.

The dude posted a fix for a problem that he'd been having (others too it appears), and you just belittle his input...

I'm sure he'll jump at the chance to help out in the future.

I'm not going to put a 58mm TB on my car anytime soon, but an issue "SOLVED" caught my attention. Thanks for taking the time to post something helpful.

JT

My apologies. I reread the above "negative" post, and think I over reacted..

Last edited by jhthornley; 03-06-2007 at 02:10 AM. Reason: tone down reply
Old 03-06-2007, 04:20 AM

Tb

thats awesome I hope thats what is wrong with mine. I'm going to weld it up. I thought maybe my injectors or o2's or tps, but I have the same symptoms as you with the bbk 58mm. Cant wait to see if it fixes it.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:35 AM

Thanks for the info. I bought a BBK 52mm TB a couple years back and it had a weld in those spots that looked out of place and kind of sloppy. Now I know what they were there for.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by jhthornley
barney = hater

Why bother knocking someone down who is trying to provide helpful information???

The dude posted a fix for a problem that he'd been having (others too it appears), and you just belittle his input...

I'm not going to put a 58mm TB on my car anytime soon, but an issue "SOLVED" caught my attention. Thanks for taking the time to post something helpful.

JT

You just misunderstood. I wasn't putting down his post because it has been done before back when these parts first came out. But I am surprised that the fix for the problem wasn't known to you guys before - I guess it hasn't been a topic for a long time, but it was a big deal at one time. And I think it's a shame that the BBK/Edelbrock throttle bodies don't have the bellcrank staked or spot welded to keep them from moving around. True, not all of them did that, but a lot of them did. My post wasn't meant to be negative at all. Although a lot of guys will give a guy for crap for making a repost, I'm not one of those guys.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:26 AM

I agree a solved problem is worth a post!! I've searched this site and not found what I was looking for and posted a ? and got a response saying it was old info. and a link or the info. I wanted. This is a great site!!!! The people that have been on it for a while are a wealth of info.
Thanks for your post! And to the people who have been on this site for a while Keep Up The Good Work!!!
THANKS
Old 03-06-2007, 10:10 AM

Good to know once I get my 58 mm!!!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by jhthornley
barney = hater

JT

No need to apologize for someone else. Sounds like we misunderstood him anyways. In any case I just know that when I search the forum it's nicer to find ANSWERS rather than QUESTIONS so I figured I would try to do my part to help provide an ANSWER for people.

I hope this info helps someone as I am sure it will just as others info has helped me along the way.

Quick Reply: High Idle Problem with 58mm BKK... SOLVED