LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

High Idle Problem with 58mm BKK... SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 10:50 AM

There were a lot of issues with the aftermarket throttlebodies over the years. Some were sticky due to the blades or wouldn't close all the way because of the punched out pieces used to make the linkages, like the BBK/Elelbrock discussed here. Others had weak return springs and need a second spring to shut the blades. In some cases, the plastic cover rubs the cable and causes a high idle. Some throttle bodies did not have the IAC holes in the same configuration causing idle problems, and there is a mod to get that right. Also, some throttle bodies put the TPS switch in the wrong position, so it needed to be slotted to get the right voltage. And if you put a 58mm on an A4 car, you had better know how to reprogram the transmission tables in the PCM or nothing is going to happen at the right time in relation to engine load. There were LOTS of issues with these parts.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
There were a lot of issues with the aftermarket throttlebodies over the years. Some were sticky due to the blades or wouldn't close all the way because of the punched out pieces used to make the linkages, like the BBK/Elelbrock discussed here. Others had weak return springs and need a second spring to shut the blades. In some cases, the plastic cover rubs the cable and causes a high idle. Some throttle bodies did not have the IAC holes in the same configuration causing idle problems, and there is a mod to get that right. Also, some throttle bodies put the TPS switch in the wrong position, so it needed to be slotted to get the right voltage. And if you put a 58mm on an A4 car, you had better know how to reprogram the transmission tables in the PCM or nothing is going to happen at the right time in relation to engine load. There were LOTS of issues with these parts.
Yeah it's pretty rediclious too because it's not as if these TB's are CHEAP or anything
Old 03-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Good work... now you should buy a Holley and figure out how we can all fix that.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:19 PM

Tb

my buddy has a holly 58mm on his car that has the same symtoms do you guys think it could be the same deal? I know when we first put his on we had to adjust the position of the blades because they had a catch in them at closed throttle.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:23 AM

I used a thickness of a piece of paper to set the blade opening, then added an extra spring to make sure it closed against the stop every time. Then you can log the car as you're driving around and see where the IAC counts end up at idle and set that as the Park IAC parameter so it doesn't have to hunt to fiind where it needs to be every time for idle air when you let off the gas and come to a stop.

As far as the Holley, I thought I remembered Fred Forsyth saying they had weak throttle springs, but I could be mistaken. Doesn't hurt to add an extra spring in any case as long as it's not too stiff. The beauty of an extra spring (assuming you only have one in the first place) is that it can save your butt if the first one fails. So, it's a good racer mod in any case.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:04 PM

I bet the original fix discussion didn't include a VIDEO of the issue, for perfect clarity of the problem. That's going all out to be as helpfull as possible. Great job.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:50 PM

tb

thanks I will weld mine and check the spring on my buddy's holley.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by JP95ZM6
I bet the original fix discussion didn't include a VIDEO of the issue, for perfect clarity of the problem. That's going all out to be as helpfull as possible. Great job.
We didn't have video in the olden days.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
We didn't have video in the olden days.
Aww, c'mon, you could have mailed out 8mm films to everybody.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:19 PM

Can someone explain step by step that part you actually get welded on the TB? I believe i have the same problem on my BBK 52mm TB. Even if someone has a pic or something.