LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

High pitched whining coming from MAF

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 02:19 PM

Question High pitched whining coming from MAF

I just purchased a 1994 z-28 with 66,000 miles on the motor. I had some worries about temperature that you guy corrected, though I stil think the car runs a bit high. I've noticed a couple things that differ from my v-6 camaro. the most annoying is a very high pitched whining coming from inside the engine. I t seems to be coming from the MAF. It got worse when I added a K@N intake. The noise goes away sometimes after a few seconds other times after a few minutes. Is this normal? I"m also getting around 10 miles to the gallon. Pretty relaxed driving in a suburban area with the occasional hard acceleration. ANy feedback. Thanks alot
Old 08-26-2003, 05:25 PM

Yea your MPG is suffering. Maybe you have a supercharger on there you dont know about

Take off the MAF and inspect it...if the pins are black or gray, clean it. Get some electical parts cleaner from a nearby auto store, spray it down and wipe it down with Qtips. Be careful not to break off the lil pins in the middle that connect the rods. Thats all I can think of. A whining noise would make me thing an air leak? Make sure you have all your vacuum hoses hooked up. Take it all out and inspect it to make sure you dont have a tear or a hole in one of the hoses. Also clean your TB while you've got it all off. Theres been a million posts lately on how to do that...and you might even know how to, so i wont repost it.

Thats all I can think of...just inspect everything and see what you got. I dont know what would cause a loud whining noise. Now if you added an intake, you know these engines suck in an *** load of air, so they're gonna make some noise. This is why your V6 didnt make all the noise. They're just loud. But it sounds like its a bit too loud by what you're saying. Thats all I can think of.