LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

highway speed overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 07:40 PM

Re: highway speed overheating

I'm going with a 180 since winter is coming. Is shoeboxs tutorial good for the change? I've never done one on these cars
Old 09-28-2011, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by frankzlt1
your right about the fans but the car will run a little richer because of the computer is programmed for a higher temp reading.
Not true. The ECU has a temperature sensor so it knows the operating status, and a temperature compensation fuel map. When it's in closed loop, it's aiming for a targeted fuel ratio anyway.

You'll be perfectly fine running a 160* tstat without programming. I did it for a long time. Highway temps will be lower, otherwise everything else will pretty much be the same since the fans come on at the same temp.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:24 AM
Administrator

The problem with lower coolant temps is not due to the PCM and the coolant temp reduction. The PCM knows the exact air flow into the engine because of the MAF sensor, and proportions the fuel correctly for that air flow.

The problem is that as combustion chamber temps drop, the burn is less complete, so you dump some unburned fuel out the exhaust. But I doubt you will even notice it. You are also throwing away more of the combustion BTU's, since they are being lost to the coolant, so the engine's thermal efficiency drops. But in the case of the LT1, this appears to be offset by the gain in air density due to the reduced heat transfer in the intake manifold.

With the lower coolant temps, you may also be able to add a bit of ignition advance, which may help power and fuel efficiency.

But he has to solve the overheating problem first.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:36 AM

Would a temperature that is too low cause it to stay in open loop?

Just curious that you don't have a problem any other time then going at highway speeds and you say you have some sort of grill that is not OEM.

Why not try it with the grill out and see what happens?

You did pull the top support to see if there was debris in between the condenser and the radiator right? FWIW, mine had one of those plastic shopping bags in there.

Last edited by Guest47904; 09-29-2011 at 05:41 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by speedygonzales
Would a temperature that is too low cause it to stay in open loop?
Yes, but the temp is about 90*F. If the coolant temp sensor is bad then yes, you'd have problems, but in normal operation you won't ever get stuck in open loop due to low temp.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:00 PM

I looked underneath the car... would pulling the top support be necessary? I have a billet grill... how would that effect the airflow?
Old 09-29-2011, 03:14 PM

The changes to the car was Cutout and grill when it started doing it.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:53 PM

You Said it is running at 260 on then highway? that is insane you should not be driving it even at 210 that its gonna cause some melting of gaskets. happened to my brother he put a lt1 in his jeep and didnt realize the common temp. fluid has to be getting lost somewhere. or not enough in the system.. check to see if your reserve tank is leaking underneath the battery. is the fluid bubbling out with cap off and car hot? may be a bad waterpump not spinning..
Old 09-30-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by ShowOff67
You Said it is running at 260 on then highway? that is insane you should not be driving it even at 210 that its gonna cause some melting of gaskets. happened to my brother he put a lt1 in his jeep and didnt realize the common temp. fluid has to be getting lost somewhere. or not enough in the system.. check to see if your reserve tank is leaking underneath the battery. is the fluid bubbling out with cap off and car hot? may be a bad waterpump not spinning..
Well, some of this is completely wrong. Running at 210f is not going to melt any gaskets. The cooling system is designed so that the fans don't even come on until 226f. As with any engine running hot scenario you
Look for the basics....is the coolant level normal, is there flown the cooling system, is the air flow path blocked, etc. Since the problem started after a mod was performed that's the first logical place to look...
Old 09-30-2011, 05:44 AM

Ding ding ding ding

Originally Posted by speedygonzales
Why not try it with the grill out and see what happens?

You did pull the top support to see if there was debris in between the condenser and the radiator right? FWIW, mine had one of those plastic shopping bags in there.
Originally Posted by LT1Mike
would pulling the top support be necessary? I have a billet grill... how would that effect the airflow?
I didn't suggest removing it. I suggested you look to see if there was debris there. Sorry if you couldn't infer that I meant to "put it back".

Originally Posted by LT1Mike
The changes to the car was Cutout and grill when it started doing it.
The last statement is the DUH moment.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:48 AM

Coolant is full, no leaks. A faulty thermostat looks like it. I'm going to bleed the system one more time. I definitely am changing the tstat and rad cap since there 14yrs old and cheap to replace

Last edited by LT1Mike; 09-30-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:20 PM

235 is what its been running on the highway and a bit lower in city..
Old 10-01-2011, 01:02 AM

Are you loosing any coolant?Might be a clogged radiator I think.I would take the car in to a mechanic(or radiator shop).Don't blow the car up because of overheating.my02.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:03 AM

Sometimes people put the thermostat in upside down in some cars,and can be a problem.My02.