Quit whining!
10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Hmmmm.....what to do........

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 10:04 AM

Unhappy Hmmmm.....what to do........

I'm at a crossraods of sorts.

My car isn't running right. Don't get me wrong, it runs, and runs good. Just running so rich that when I get into the throttle, it stumbles and hesitates for a split second. I've been checking everything I can find and haven't found anything really outlandishly wrong.

I've got about $4000 saved right now because the car DESPERATELY needs a paintjob. I mean it's pathetic looking right now. Faded, scratched, one corner of the hood crunched, ect. You can't really tell from my pics in the sig, but trust me.

I can't make up my mind. Do I

A: Forgo the paintjob in lieu of spending the cash to have someone look at/possibly fix the car if I can't do it myself, or

B: Continue to try to diagnose it myself and get the paintjob.

I just can't make up my mind. I was thinking that if the fix is an easy one and the problem is found fast that I would be able to get it painted still, but I'm hesitant on taking the chance of something major being the problem and the paintjob money being taken up.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:09 AM

The engine problem doesent sound that bad its probably something little and insignificant. You could probaly trouble shoot it here on the board and figure it out yourself. Id say get the paint Job done if you need it.

Later,
-John
Old 02-06-2004, 11:11 AM

youve been having problems with this car for a whilei say get it to a shop and pay for a diagnostic.

get it running before you get it painted. performance is more important in my opinion.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:49 AM

Your problem is probably just one of those little pita problems that is hella hard to figure out. But probably not a expensive one.

That being said i would get the car painted that way whenever it pisses you off you can look at your beautiful car and it will take your frustration away. But then again if painting the car is gonna brake you, you may want to get it running right first.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:00 PM

Well, I've been trying to diagnose the problem on here for quite some time now, and haven't gotten anywhere. Quite a few people have been very helpful, but weeding through the "it's the plus, it's the opti, change your O2's" is getting very tedious.

Yeah, the paintjob is going to cost $4000, probably a bit more. I was thinking I could have a couple of corners cut, such as not doing the door jambs, not doing the hatch jamb, but then I thought if I'm going to do it, it's going to be done right (with the exception of the engine bay).

I'm thinking of just having the shop diagnose it for me and then fix it from there. If it doesn't take them an exorborant amount of time I should be ok.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:23 PM

i've been following your problem on the bored here. There is no doubt that it is probly the most rediculously annoying thing to find.

I say get it running the way you want to. 4k is plenty to figure out what the problem is now, this concidering all of the little parts you bought and installed to fix the problem already.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by Fastbird93
Well, I've been trying to diagnose the problem on here for quite some time now, and haven't gotten anywhere. Quite a few people have been very helpful, but weeding through the "it's the plus, it's the opti, change your O2's" is getting very tedious.

Yeah, the paintjob is going to cost $4000, probably a bit more. I was thinking I could have a couple of corners cut, such as not doing the door jambs, not doing the hatch jamb, but then I thought if I'm going to do it, it's going to be done right (with the exception of the engine bay).

I'm thinking of just having the shop diagnose it for me and then fix it from there. If it doesn't take them an exorborant amount of time I should be ok.
You might seriously consider taking it to a dealer for the diagnosis. Might cost a bit more, but a couple of folks have found quick identification of "mystery problems" that other shops could not identify (or therefore fix). Don't get too frustrated, you'll figure it out eventually
Old 02-06-2004, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by EbeZ28
You might seriously consider taking it to a dealer for the diagnosis. Might cost a bit more, but a couple of folks have found quick identification of "mystery problems" that other shops could not identify (or therefore fix). Don't get too frustrated, you'll figure it out eventually
I appreciate the encouragement. It's extremely frustrating because the car perfect the first time out according to my mechanic. Then for no reason, bam!, loaded up on fuel. Someday I may be able to finish the tuning and get the 1.7 rockers on it.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:57 PM

Yeah but if the dealers in his area's are like mine they won't even touch his car because of all the mods he has done too it. Just take it to a good shop that knows a lot about domestic cars. If you are gonna paint it, do it right and get everything done(i wouldn't do the engine bay neither).
Old 02-06-2004, 03:34 PM

Well, I had/have an appointment at Jay Fisher Pontiac in Elmer NJ, and if anyone has heard of them then you know why I have the appointment there. They're well known for being performance oriented.

However, looks like I'm going to be taking the car to a shop called F-Body Central in Baltimore tomorrow and dropping it off.

We shall see, the tale begins.......
Old 02-06-2004, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by drewstealth
Yeah but if the dealers in his area's are like mine they won't even touch his car because of all the mods he has done too it. Just take it to a good shop that knows a lot about domestic cars. If you are gonna paint it, do it right and get everything done(i wouldn't do the engine bay neither).

The dealer I pester form time to time won't work on my car (no biggie). But I would think you could find someone willing to perform diagnostics without to much hassle. All they have to do is plug stuff in and take your money (I think). Then again, maybe not
Old 02-06-2004, 04:52 PM

Just check on all the little things that could possibly make it do that. I know a stretched throttle cable can cause real bad hesitation...can tell you that from experience. I just hope you can figure it out before you spend a lot of money on something that isn't the problem. Good luck!
Old 02-06-2004, 05:05 PM

See this post. Things may be looking up.