LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Holy crap, major clue! My headers were glowing a bright bright red!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 06:51 PM

Holy crap, major clue! My headers were glowing a bright bright red!!!

I finally got somone else to start my car after the heads/cam/header install. Smoke originally came from the engine and exhaust but then I started it again and the smoke didnt start. After looking at the engine I saw my headers glowing brighter and brighter of a red. They were almost solid red after about 1 minute of running at like 2k rpm or more. My engine couldnt idle either, it was fine a while ago now I am scared to death. What could cause my headers and everything to glow so much? I think I am running rich but it originall ran fine right after the install. Days later it starts doing this!!! I believe all 8 header primaries were glowing.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:59 PM

damn dude thats bite ***! i wwouldnt know where to tell you to start
Old 04-14-2003, 07:02 PM

I was gonna say "Make sure you plugged the SPOUT connector back in", but I forgot these aren't mustangs

Any way you could have retarded your timing or leaned out your engine?
Old 04-14-2003, 07:07 PM

I really dont know! When i first finished the install it was running really rich, it would idle and everything. Had it running for like 20 mins at times and the headers were never glowing. Now it can't idle and my headers are red hot, I think the coating was where all the smoke was coming from! Let me go pull a plug, I JUST installed them before I made the run where they were glowing.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:20 PM

sounds like you are still running rich. do you have a scanner?
Old 04-14-2003, 07:24 PM

I dont really want to run it because I am worried about my engine! I just re checked the fuel pressure, its at 42 psi primed. I checked one of the new plugs, looks white with a hint of black on it near the electrode.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:28 PM

More than likely its one of these three things, or some combined -

1. You're timing is severly retarded.
2. You are running lean.
3. Your valve lash is adjusted too tight (the exhaust valve is still open when it should be closed, thus allowing extremely hot gases to pass through the headers...making them glow red hot).

Running rich will NOT cause your headers to glow red.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:32 PM

What do you think could cause this "overnight".
Old 04-14-2003, 07:35 PM

i thought it was excessive gas combusting in the headers that makes them glow red.

what did you do after you concluded it was running rich the first time? new program?
Old 04-14-2003, 07:37 PM

computer said i was running 108 blms on the right bank and 160 on the left

I then found two crossed wires on my left bank and never scanned it since.

I thought I was running rich because all my plugs were fouled and smelled of raw gas when I took them out.

New plugs made it run but now this.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by Rodrigues
computer said i was running 108 blms on the right bank and 160 on the left

I then found two crossed wires on my left bank and never scanned it since.

I thought I was running rich because all my plugs were fouled and smelled of raw gas when I took them out.

New plugs made it run but now this.
2 crossed plug wires i am guessing right? 108 is the lowest the computer can correct the condition which means you are probably still running rich. you need a cam file it sounds like to me. what you might try is pulling half of your intake elbow off the TB to let some unmetered air in and see if that helps out. what this should do is raise your BLMs in hopes of fixing the rich condition temporarily of course.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:52 PM

From what it sounds like, richness can't cause headers to glow? I have a cam file in it right now, PCM4 less made it for ported heads, my cam and the headers.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:58 PM

well i am telling you now that with blms bottoming out at 108... you ARE in fact running rich. so even if THAT isnt causing the glowing headers.. it is a big problem. start it back up and let the car reach closed loop to see what the blms read. if they are 108 then you need a better file.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:01 PM

I didnt scan the car since i fixed the two plug wires. I am scared to run the car like this! I cant even let the car below 2k or else it will die and by then there will be no coating left on my headers!
Old 04-14-2003, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by turbo_Z
well i am telling you now that with blms bottoming out at 108... you ARE in fact running rich. so even if THAT isnt causing the glowing headers.. it is a big problem. start it back up and let the car reach closed loop to see what the blms read. if they are 108 then you need a better file.
Did he mention the new bosch o2 sensors with the home made extenders? I am suspicious right there that the BLMs may not be accurate and the computer is compensating for a problem that may not exist

Quick Reply: Holy crap, major clue! My headers were glowing a bright bright red!!!