LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Home Ported Intake Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:54 AM

Home Ported Intake Pictures

Heres some pictures for you guys to crituqe my port work. Had to patch the intake above the injector's so I could take the ski slope out of the port roof. I used Belzona super metal epoxy on the intake, very good for recreating port roofs. These were port matched to my heads that I did about 3-4 years ago, figured its free horsepower. I did NOT knife edge the divider in between the two ports only tapered as to not run into turbulance. Also dug as much meat behind the Throttle body as I could reach, raising the plenum roof as much as possible. Last step was taking a sandblaster inside the plenum and each port as to give it a smooth cast like texture. This is the first car intake I have done, all my experience is from porting two-strokes and thumper atv's for the past 12 years. I will post up my head pics as soon as I dig them off my external drive.
Josh

Old 04-29-2008, 11:07 AM

I'm no porting expert, but looks pretty good to me.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:10 AM

I really concentrated on keeping the port shape uniform from the opening in the plenum up to the head. I took the cross section of my heads and opened the intake ports to that size. Also added an LS1 air intake tract so It will breath a little better than my K&N cold air setup.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:04 PM

I think you did a nice looking job. I don't know what it did for flow but it looks really nice.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:19 PM

I researched and used knowledge I gained from my mistakes while porting other motors. Lots of two strokes (37 125cc and 250cc jugs, half a dozen banshees, pwc seadoo's and polaris, tons of 4 strokes, a few older SBC iron heads, Nitro RC cars) It was fun to work on and learned the limits of these castings. When I first ported a two stroke I made the mistake of knife edging the fuel intake ports and it ran like dog pile. These heads and Intakes we have reminded me of all the 4-stroke ATV motors I ported, Same basic theory involved. I listened and applied what Jordon Musser, loyd and a few others said works well on these intakes. Even if I gained 1 hp it was fun to pick all the burrs out of my hands.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:58 PM

Nice job... The biggest problem with a stock intake is that you can not raise the roof very far without blowing thru. Belzona will do the trick.

Where did you get the Belzona from? Looks like you just used a few carbide bits to cut the metal out... How did they work? I was just thinking of testing out a set of non-ferous bits toport a stocker I have. I would love to test out the Belzona and make it into a better intake.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:47 AM

Looks good.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:19 AM

The Belzona is a definite porters best friend, Ive reconstructed ports in Nitro RC cars that spin 35K-45,000 RPMS and its never come loose inside.
Its really fun when you cut out your entire port entry and fill it with Belzona then port it to your liking. My father actual "uhum" "Cough" picked it up from the steel mill he worked in. They used it to patch ladles and different things you just cant get a welder into. Check out these links to it, its some fantastic material for what we like to do. http://www.belzona.com/enc.aspx
http://www.rumfordgroup.com/products...m?ProductID=14

I have been using the same container for over 8 years easy, so the intial cost of about $300 will go along way (thats what father said it used to cost). Also the shelf life seems good, it has never hardened up or went bad in that time. We have fixed many projects with this material and its very easy to apply and sticks to anything. You just mix up the ratio you would like to use just like any other epoxy. You can mix it so its more brittle or softer if the parts need some flexing or heat expansion leeway.
Only problem is that I cannot find a resseller for it, if anyone knows where to purchase it post up a link please.

Also thanks for the good words on my porting.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:49 AM

More pics of my finished intake project all painted and sitting pretty. Also some more shots of where I used Belzona and on the left side is how it looks sanded. Now I need to get my throttle body nice looking again, that will be todays project.

Sitting all pretty.

With AS&M bored and ported 52mm (needs redone today ASAP)