LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

honeycomb?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 12:35 PM

honeycomb?

on your mass air flow sensor, do you take out that metal honeycomb screen? i was gonna take mine out, but its like its part of the metal, and i didnt wanna break it until i knew for sure?? help me fast, i have this thing in my hands!
Old 08-19-2003, 12:44 PM

There should be a retaining ring in there. You need a tool like a needlenose but with prong tips on the ends.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:45 PM

Yes, you can take it out. You don't even have to break it (at least I didn't). 97's should be the same as the ones on the 94's. Just take a screwdriver (flathead) and very VERY carefully pry it between the honeycomb and the and the inner edge of the MAF and pop it out. And unless you just plan on putting it back in (I had mine and used it as a coaster ) It doesn't matter if you break it or not. Hope this helps!

Ryan
Old 08-19-2003, 12:49 PM

sweet

hey thanx, i just wasnt putting enough force on it, theres nothing to it...awesome! frisbe anyone?
Old 08-19-2003, 12:52 PM

NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont descreen your MAF sensor. The screen actually balances the air coming through so that it reads on the sensor properly. if it cant read properly then it sends the wong signal, a few people have managed to trick it the right way and have seen some gains from it, like 5hp. However, most people either dont see gains or they wind up having problems because of this mod. Your MAF will flow more air than your TB can take, there is no reason to port it. Clean it and put it back in your car. Ask Fred, I'm sure he will back me up on this one.

Old 08-19-2003, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by LeftoverChinese
NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont descreen your MAF sensor. The screen actually balances the air coming through so that it reads on the sensor properly. if it cant read properly then it sends the wong signal, a few people have managed to trick it the right way and have seen some gains from it, like 5hp. However, most people either dont see gains or they wind up having problems because of this mod. Your MAF will flow more air than your TB can take, there is no reason to port it. Clean it and put it back in your car. Ask Fred, I'm sure he will back me up on this one.

First off, I still have my screen.

I think bryan from PCMforleSS has probably seen more dynos than most people and dealt with/programmed for more MAFs so i take my advice on this subject from him. He laothes replacement MAFs due to their off calibrations and the resulting tuning difficulty, same thing with a ported one, it has no calibration. I believe he is ok with descreening though. Other factory MAFs never even came with screens. Even if the flow is turbulent, it's going through there so fast your not going to get a swirling effect. where the maf is seeing the same air twice.

Totally agree with the porting statement thoguh.

-brent
Old 08-19-2003, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by 94formulabz
I believe he is ok with descreening though.
Ask him and see what he thinks, please dont assume for him.

Other factory MAFs never even came with screens.
There are a great many ways to do things, there are computers in the early days that didn't have heat sinks and fans, try taking your fan off and see what happens.

thats just my .02, take it how you wish, its your car.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:36 PM

The '96 and '97 don't have a retaining ring. The screen has to be destroyed to take it out.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:42 PM

Out of the last 2 years reading on f-body boards, i think you're one of 5 people that have complained about descreening the MAF, like you said to each his own.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by LeftoverChinese
Ask him and see what he thinks, please dont assume for him.

There are a great many ways to do things, there are computers in the early days that didn't have heat sinks and fans, try taking your fan off and see what happens.

thats just my .02, take it how you wish, its your car.
I'm 99% sure that the other day when i was over at his house he was having a phone conversatioin with someone about a MAF and said "get a stock Fbody MAF.............yes it's ok to ditch the screen........." Since the convo wasn't with me on the phone though i can't be 100% sure they were still talking about hte MAF screen and not his kitchen door or something

You can keep your .02 cents and ask him yourself before YOU assume and make an *** out of U and me.

Ok, i didn't know the 96 mafs didn't have the retaining ring, so obviously i'm not above being wrong, but isn't the newer Z06 MAF screenless? Maybe screens are outdated technology like the computers without the heat sinks and fans.......

Seriously though, I will ask him next time i see him to be sure. I just wasn't that interested in taking off my airbox to pick up 1 HP so i wasn't paying much attention
Old 08-19-2003, 01:53 PM

I'm 99% sure that the other day when i was over at his house he was having a phone conversatioin with someone about a MAF and said "get a stock Fbody MAF.............yes it's ok to ditch the screen........." Since the convo wasn't with me on the phone though i can't be 100% sure they were still talking about hte MAF screen and not his kitchen door or something

I have been wrong before, ask him and see what he says. Be sure to find out what kind of gain will there be and if there is a possible problem that could occur due to the lack of a screen. I would be interested in knowing what he says.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:59 PM

The MAF on the Z06 vette doesn't have a screen, but my friend bought a Z06 MAF from LS1 Speed and it had a screen. Go figure.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:59 PM

my 96 had a retaing ring holding in the screen
Old 08-19-2003, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by J96Z
my 96 had a retaing ring holding in the screen
Maybe it's just the '97 then. I could have swore I read it on this board.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:07 PM

my 97 has a retaining ring holding the screen in...

Quick Reply: honeycomb?