LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Hooker Catback and Headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 04:17 PM

Hooker Catback and Headers

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of going with the hooker catback and long tube headers. Couple questions.

1. What is the life like on the hooker catback since it is alumnized and not stainless.
2. With the hooker headers, am I going to have clearance issues because of I have Kenny Brown Diamond Double SFCs?
3. Do hooker headers normally come with a Y-Pipe, or is that something I'll need?
4. For the hooker catback, will I need to take it to an exhaust shop to put in, or can I do it myself? I dont have a means of welding.

Thanks!

Last edited by bobbykokinos; 11-02-2003 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:22 PM

Re: Hooker Catback and Headers

Originally posted by bobbykokinos
Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of going with the hooker catback and headers. Couple questions.

1. What is the life like on the hooker catback since it is alumnized and not stainless.
2. With the hooker headers, am I going to have clearance issues because of I have Kenny Brown Diamond Double SFCs?
3. Do hooker headers normally come with a Y-Pipe, or is that something I'll need?
4. For the hooker catback, will I need to take it to an exhaust shop to put in, or can I do it myself? I dont have a means of welding.

Thanks!
Hey. I'll assume you're talking about Hooker long tube headers. If so, I'll start out by recommending that you buy Jet-Hot long tube headers. They're the same thing, but cheaper, ceramic coated, and have the o2 bungs already welded in, which the Hookers don't. The Hooker cat-back should last a good 10 years assuming that you don't drive the car every winter through the salty roads.
The subframe connectors will not interfere at all. Hooker or Jet-hot long tubes do not come with a Y-pipe. I'd recommend either having a shop custom fabricate one, or buy the Hooker Y-pipe, which you can get for $169 from www.ls1speed.com or you can get it from Jet-Hot for about $25-30 more and it is ceramic coated, and the other is not. The hooker cat-back you can install yourself, it does not require welding, Should take about an hour or two to install.....the hardest part is getting the old cat-back off. Good luck!

Matt
Old 11-02-2003, 04:24 PM

Re: Re: Hooker Catback and Headers

Originally posted by Cmr0z28
Hey. I'll assume you're talking about Hooker long tube headers. If so, I'll start out by recommending that you buy Jet-Hot long tube headers. They're the same thing, but cheaper, ceramic coated, and have the o2 bungs already welded in, which the Hookers don't. The Hooker cat-back should last a good 10 years assuming that you don't drive the car every winter through the salty roads.
The subframe connectors will not interfere at all. Hooker or Jet-hot long tubes do not come with a Y-pipe. I'd recommend either having a shop custom fabricate one, or buy the Hooker Y-pipe, which you can get for $169 from www.ls1speed.com or you can get it from Jet-Hot for about $25-30 more and it is ceramic coated, and the other is not. The hooker cat-back you can install yourself, it does not require welding, Should take about an hour or two to install.....the hardest part is getting the old cat-back off. Good luck!

Matt
Yeah, sorry, I meant the long tubes..

Also I was looking at Jet-Hot headers.. Now does Jet Hot coat hooker headers and sell them, or do they sell there own that just happen to be alot like hooker?
Old 11-02-2003, 04:30 PM

Jet hot coats hooker headers, but they ALSO sell their own, which are known as the Jet-Hot headers. They're copies of the hooker design, but with a thicker header flange, and thicker steel.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:31 PM

They make their own replica of the Hooker long tubes. The quality is amazing.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Hooker Catback and Headers

Originally posted by bobbykokinos
Yeah, sorry, I meant the long tubes..

Also I was looking at Jet-Hot headers.. Now does Jet Hot coat hooker headers and sell them, or do they sell there own that just happen to be alot like hooker?
IIRC, they coat hookers, and this way, i think you get a lifetime rust through warranty, you only get a 3 year if you send them yours(i belive, check the website)
Old 11-02-2003, 04:33 PM

Ok, another stupid question.

If I got the JetHot headers, hooker Y-Pipe, and hooker catback, will it all be pretty much "plug and play" or will I have to do any kind of fabrication or cutting?
Old 11-02-2003, 04:41 PM

In most cases, the hooker Y pipe will bolt right up, but some guys have to do a little bending here and there to get it to fit right.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:44 PM

Hmmm ok.. I think thats the setup Im going to go with. JetHot, Hooker Catback, and Hooker Y-Pipe.

I guess I'll also need to O2 sensor and might as well do over the valve wires and plugs while Im at it. Probably should get locking header bolts also.

Anything else anyone can think of?? I'm looking at spending around $1000 from start to finish, right?
Old 11-02-2003, 05:32 PM

yep, around $1000......don't forget Fel-Pro gaskets
Old 11-02-2003, 05:38 PM

oh, and 24" o2 extensions

www.ls1speed.com has them cheap but i believe jet-hot sells them cheaper.
Old 11-02-2003, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by Cmr0z28
oh, and 24" o2 extensions

www.ls1speed.com has them cheap but i believe jet-hot sells them cheaper.
Ok, I know this is the million dollar question, but what kind of gains can I expect doing this??

Right now I'm doing 13.9 in the quarter.. How much different would it be??
Old 11-02-2003, 06:13 PM

Don't forget 1" Stage 8 locking header bolts!!!

You should be running around 13.3 -13.5 depending on traction....I'm running 13.3's w/ Hooker shorties, Hooker Cat-back, and a CAI!!
Old 11-02-2003, 06:39 PM

Usually guys pick up anywhere from 3-5 tenths and about 3-4mph from the long tubes
Old 11-03-2003, 10:15 AM

Don't get felpro gaskets. Get Percy's or Earl's aluminum gaskets.

Quick Reply: Hooker Catback and Headers