LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Hooker v.s. magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 02:46 AM

Hooker v.s. magnaflow

I know the subject about which exaust systems are better has been asked alot and really just depends on personal preference. I was thinking of getting the loudmouth but i plan on getting headers in the future and heard that they won't sound good with headers and are way to loud. So i decided to get either the magnaflow system or the hooker system. The question i have is for the people that have either of these systems. I like the fact that magnaflow is stainless steel but i've heard that they make a popping noise alot. Is this true? As for the hooker i have heard alot about how the rust really fast. I don't want my exaust system to start falling apart after a year. So how is your system holding up? Also since i haven't heard either setup on a lt1 which system is louder?

Last edited by drewstealth; 05-09-2003 at 02:48 AM.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:06 PM

anybody?
Old 05-09-2003, 12:16 PM

I just bought my magnaflow system for $240 dollars. I haven't had it installed, but it is a real nice SS system. The muffler and tips are polished, and yes they are slightly slashed but cost around 15 bucks to get them rounded. My friend has the magnaflow on his car, come to find out, and it sounds really good. I think, over time when the muffler "breaks" in, the poppin will cease...because his doesn't pop. He has a cai, 52mm tb, LT4 hotcam, hooker LT's, custom Y pipe, and the magnaflow system. I think with all of those, the car will definately breathe better and sound cleaner. My other buddy has it on his LS1 and it sounds mean as hell. When I had my borla, at first, it popped and subsided after a while same with my flowmasters(which I have now because I sold my borla so I could buy books for school ) This topic has been discussed time and time again. People with hooker want hooker and vice versa. However, for $240 dollars you can't go wrong.
JOHN
Old 05-09-2003, 01:18 PM

I agree the Magnaflow system is a very nice one for the money - especially since it's Stainless - i would probably get one if i ever needed one again.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:34 PM

I know i'm not debating on which is a better system. Or which sounds better because i know that just depends on the person hearing it. I'm just asking the people that have one of these systems or have heard/seen one of them to comment about it. For the magnaflow system i just wanna know how bad the popping is and how many of you that have the system have the popping. And for the hooker how is the quality because i heard that they rust alot because they are not stainless steel. I heard that the tips start looking bad real fast. Also if you have heard both of them which is louder. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:37 PM

from what i understand, popping in the exhause is due to the lack or decrease in back pressure. that being said. the more restrictive exhaust shouldn't pop as bad, but you'll sacrifice power.

i have the magnaflow on my 96 z, with both cats in place on stock manifolds. the exhaust does pop a little. granted that is a pretty subjective statment. but for me the small pops aren't a concern and i don't mind.

i think you'll be very pleased with the mf system
Old 05-09-2003, 03:29 PM

When I had a restrictive Flowmaster (a maze of baffles in it), it popped quite a bit. Switched to a Random Technology cat-back (straight through type like the Magnaflow) and it went away. No popping what so ever. Even with headers and an ORP.

Just my experience..
Old 05-09-2003, 05:01 PM

Thanks for your comments. Anybody else?
Old 05-09-2003, 05:08 PM

Here's a quick review I did of my hooker...also it's still getting louder as it goes through the heating cycle more. I was in the same boat you were man. Couldn't find many clips so I just had to go by what people said. I went against magnaflow b/c I didn't want something raspy. And I had heard it was raspier and popped a little more than the hooker. From what I have seen on this board people love the Hooker Cat-back. Although in this particular thread people seem to be going against it and voting magnaflow...
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hreadid=115085

do a search and just see what ya think...any questions at all man just pm or email me and I'll be glad to describe or help ya out if i can
Old 05-09-2003, 08:31 PM

Yeah i can't find to many clips either and my computer is only 56k so it takes hella long if its in video form. I'm not sure why you were saying that they were going against the hooker and for the magnaflow on that thread because they don't even say anything about the magnaflow. You must of put the wrong thread.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:14 PM

Unhappy

I have the magnaflow exhaust system.IMO dont get it mine pop's bad i dont know if thats because i have header's,ORP,and a blower .but im looking into something different.And talk about raspy anything over 3000 rpm sounds terrible it could just be me though,people seem to love the way it sounds.I had the exhaust on before the MAC's,ORP,and that was with the blower though then it sounded awesome but now im not to happy with it..
Old 05-09-2003, 11:17 PM

my hooker seems a little on the quite side.....

my stockers was nearly as loud

im running mac headers w/ an ORP
Old 05-10-2003, 12:30 AM

havent heard magnaflow. but the hooker sounds great on the LT1. it is deep and mellow, not very loud. if u want loud, go another direction
Old 05-10-2003, 09:46 AM

I have the magnaflow and mines do not pop. I was going to get the hooker then in the last minute I did alot of reading on the magnaflow and whoa. A lot of different car people from mustang, hot rodder and compact cars rated the magnaflow high for performance. So i brought the magnaflow and whoa this bit*h rocks. Sound looks and nice free flowing . Hey get the magnaflow you will not be upset.

94 Z28 teal w T-tops
BMR strut tower brace
Moroso CAI
1LE elbow
Car sound high flow cat
Magnaflow cat back
Old 05-10-2003, 12:20 PM

yeah i heard the magnaflow flows very good.

Quick Reply: Hooker v.s. magnaflow