LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Horn & Cigarette lighter not working?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 07:06 PM

Horn & Cigarette lighter not working?

Hi.

I've just finished installing my SLP manual fan switch with a friend and on the drive home i noticed that my horn wasnt working.

Now, to mount the manual fan switch my friend and I took apart the whole center console and unplugged everything, we ended up mounting it right under the cigarette lighter after some drilling, then we put everything back together and it seemed to be working fine, although there was this one plug that comes along with the cigarette lighter assembly that we couldn't figure out where it went (maybe that has something to do with it )

So on the ride home i tried honking and i noticed my horn wasn't working, then for fun at home i tried using the cig. lighter (i dont smoke) because i had a feeling it wouldnt work because of that connection that we left unplugged (I remember reading somewhere that the cig. lighter and horn are somehow connected electronically) and the lighter wasn't working either.

Any ideas? Maybe its just that connection but i have no idea where it goes
Old 08-30-2003, 07:12 PM

Check the fuse, I am pretty sure that the horn and cigarette lighter are on the same fuse. You probably just blew the fuse installing that fan switch.
Old 08-30-2003, 07:14 PM

Check your fuses on the drivers end of you dash.
Old 08-30-2003, 07:32 PM

Check the fuse on the left of the dash, I believe it's a 15 fuse, maybe 20. Anyway, y ou said you left the plug unplugged? Replug it as well..with it flopping around under there it may have hit something and shorted out the fuse.
Old 08-30-2003, 07:48 PM

Horn and cig. lighter are on the same fuse and it's a 25.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:47 PM

Mine keeps blowing the fuse to my horn and cig lighter. How do I fix this problem. Is there a fusable link somewhere? My horn hasn't worked in many years, can someone help me here, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tuff.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:49 PM

Most likely you have a short somewhere in the circuit. The best place to start is where you may have disturbed it. A good wiring diagram always helps. Did you tap it to run something else?

Last edited by Lyle A; 08-30-2003 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-30-2003, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by Onetuffride
Mine keeps blowing the fuse to my horn and cig lighter. How do I fix this problem. Is there a fusable link somewhere? My horn hasn't worked in many years, can someone help me here, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tuff.
I had this same problem about 2 years ago, I kept blowing the fuse for the horn/cig lighter. Here is what I did after I blew out about 3-4 fuses and for some reason it worked.

I put a new fuse in, and went under the car and disconnected both horns (under the passengers side headlight) and cleaned both of the connection. I then connected one horn back up and it worked without blowing out the fuse. I then disconnected that horn and connected other horn and that horn worked fine without blowing out the fuse. I finally reconnected both of them together and it has been working fine ever since. It never blew a fuse again in 2 years and my cig lighter was not the problem either that has always worked well. I guess one of the connecters must have been dirty or something but for what ever reason it fixed my problem.

Hope that helps and good luck,
Claude
Old 08-30-2003, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by Lyle A
Most likely you have a short somewhere in the circuit. The best place to start is where you may have disturbed it. A good wiring diagram always helps. Did you tap it to run something else?

Well, I am the second owner of this car and I have known the car since it was brand new. I know that it has never been disturbed, the orginal owner had the same problem, she even took it back to the dealer many times and they couldn't find it either. That and the heater problem, it has never had any heat since it was new either, don't know if it is related or not, I doubt it. I will check in my helms for a wiring diagram. Thanks for the help guys, it is always greatly appreciated.

Tuff.
Old 08-30-2003, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by Laymaster
Check the fuse on the left of the dash, I believe it's a 15 fuse, maybe 20. Anyway, y ou said you left the plug unplugged? Replug it as well..with it flopping around under there it may have hit something and shorted out the fuse.
Ya we left it unplugged, but that's just it, we left it bercause we had no idea where it goes . I mean we took everything apart and put it back together, but couldn't figure out where this plug came out of It's the one that's taped along with the wires for the cigarette lighter...

So all i would have to do is remake the connection, buy a new 25 fuse and change the burnt one, and it will be OK?

Last edited by MTL_Z28; 08-31-2003 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:29 PM

this may be dumb... but you might have something actually in yoru ciggarette lighter... i kept blowing fuses... then i looked in there was a dime stuck in the bottom of the lighter well..
Old 10-03-2003, 06:55 PM

I changed the fuse for the easy & cheap fix!
Thanks guys!

PS. the plug is for the CD player that my car was not equipped with.