LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Horsepower estimate (RWHP?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 05:54 PM

Horsepower estimate (RWHP?)

just wondering if i could get a rough hp guestamate for my car.

mods in sig +tb bypass, stock gears and tranny

i was able to keep up with a G8 GT from 0-90 ran nose to nose then he started pulling away at 90 and ive pulled on an LS1/6spd ws6 transam from a roll if that helps any lol

Last edited by englundjd; 11-27-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:21 PM

Re: Horsepower estimate (RWHP?)

That cam is pretty small, FYI. I wouldn't expect any more than ~330whp properly tuned. Not bad all things considered.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:03 PM

ok well thats better then what i was thinkin it would be. that cam prettymuch gave me more torque at about 2k-4k then it feels like stock till red line... i wasnt expecting a lot out of it. unfortunatly that cam wasnt the one i suggested (although im not sure that one really woulda been that much better?) to the builder when it was being built.... after about a month with the car i realized that my dad had something to do with the small cam that they put in >.<

Last edited by englundjd; 11-27-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:42 AM

Time to crush some dreams.

290-305rwhp. No catback, not-so-good shorties, no roller rockers, tiny cam, E-WP, otherwise stock with a A4 [stock stall].

That's assuming your "builder" didn't knock down the compression so it wouldn't "ping" on pump gas.

-Dustin-

Last edited by Bersaglieri; 11-29-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
Time to crush some dreams.

290-305rwhp. No catback, not-so-good shorties, no roller rockers, tiny cam, E-WP, otherwise stock with a A4 [stock stall].

That's assuming your "builder" didn't knock down the compression so it wouldn't "ping" on pump gas.

-Dustin-
this
Old 12-01-2011, 03:13 PM

Probably 300 or so to the ground seems about right, time to start doing some suspension upgrades
Old 12-01-2011, 05:17 PM

Comp cams are cheaper than Crane, and the 304 is sold as working with stock tuning two more reasons he probably made that mistake.

If he is that ignorant he could have easily used heavier, weaker pistons with thick parasitic rings and a lowered compression while he was at it.

Or it could be put together well we have no way of telling.

IMO if you hit 330rwhp with the tune consider yourself lucky.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:47 PM

yea thats what i was afraid of... the engine only carries 50psi of oil pressure at wot so im going to take it back and b!tch at them cause thats not even 10psi per 1000 rpm ... im thinkin that while there at it im going to have them rip out the cam and put in like a cc 503 or atleast something with more grunt. the machining should be good because the guy that runs the machine shop around here has 30+ years of experiance... altho i know lemons do happen.

ill get the build list out and post some parts numbers and see if you guys can help me figure this out.

thanks for the info ive already gotten.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:08 PM

stock crank
stock rods
pistons: H597ACP30 sealed power brand
rings: E530K30 sealed power
oil pump: 2244146 sealed power -stock replacement

never heard of that brand to be honest. Are they any good? ... this shop has always been a pretty reputable place but this whole rebuild process has been really messed up.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:17 AM

They could have used a cheaper piston so at least they didn't go cheap as possible, but I would never shell out the cash for a rebuild and use that one.

You don't actually need 10psi per 1000rpm 50psi is plenty to keep it alive so long as only being 50psi is not a symptom of a problem.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:10 AM

At least they used flat top pistons. Sealed power ain't bad, your stock pistons were Mahle which I think is a better company. If they decked the block and or heads at all that would bump the compression up a little. A .026/.028 head gasket would help as well, just so long as they didn't zero deck the block.

If you go back into the motor please let us know a head of time so you go in there with a plan of action rather than just some rants to the builder.

Do you have:
Roller rockers? If so 3/8 stud? self aligning? Ratio?
Springs to handle a XE503 or similar camshaft?
Are you going to get tune for it?
Were the heads or block decked? If so how much and how far is the piston in the hole?
Is the sealed power oil pump actually a Melling? Is it high volume or high pressure or stock?
Can you change a spring to the oil pump to increase oil pressure? [My stock pump holds over 50psi WOT]
What head gasket was used? Bore size and compressed thickness?

All this and more needs to be known to create a plan of action.

-Dustin-
Old 12-03-2011, 01:59 PM

Bersaglieri:
they used the summit brand roller rockers (1.5 ratio) on a 3/8 stud (forgot to add to sig)

comp beehive springs

I was planning on a mail order tune in the spring when i start actually making money again but if i dig back into it the tune will wait till im done again. so, currently on hold

they didnt give me any specs on the piston height or any of that. all i know is the bore is .030 over, ill have to go to the engine builder and see if they know

The oil pump is standard volume, part number search pulled up sealed power.

I took the car into town this morning to get a few things and i think the guage looks more like 45psi at wot not 50.... and it has that typical pressure dip at about 4000rpm but it comes back by 4700rpm

it holds 40psi steady at about 2000 rpm and 20psi at 550rpm

they bought the gaskets in a set and all i have is the full set parts number. again its sealed power brand. ill see if i can get this info from the builder. part # 2601650

i wont get back with the block machining details and head gasket details till friday

Last edited by englundjd; 12-03-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:31 PM

It should be said you can not trust the stock oil pressure gauge other than to show you a "change from normal".
Old 12-10-2011, 10:10 AM

Ok i took the car back yesterday to have them adjust the rockers and track down a coolant leak. they are also going to check the oil psi on a mechanical guage. i asked about the block and all they did was the bore, they said it should have retained stock compression
Old 12-10-2011, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by englundjd
Ok i took the car back yesterday to have them adjust the rockers and track down a coolant leak. they are also going to check the oil psi on a mechanical guage. i asked about the block and all they did was the bore, they said it should have retained stock compression
Increasing the bore also increases compression. I'd question their competence if they don't know that.

And truthfully I don't see anything wrong with your oil pressure.

Quick Reply: Horsepower estimate (RWHP?)