LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Horsepower gains from cam..?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 09:40 AM

Horsepower gains from cam..?

ok heres the deal, ive got a 97M6 Z28... SLP CAI, trickflow metal intake elbow, TB bypass, and a flowmaster 80s series... ive got a comp cams 224/230 Cam and EX 611 Springs that im about to install, what kinda HP gains will i get from this, im going to be using 1.6 NSA RR....... im planning on getting some hooker longtubes soon as well.... any ideas on what that will bring as well? im mainly wondering about the gains from the cam though... let me hear some #s if anyone thinks they can.....
Old 07-27-2004, 09:53 AM

Re: Horsepower gains from cam..?

With the headers, I would guess 40-50 hp. You could do better if you got the heads ported. The stock heads won't flow in the higher lifts that your cam will make with the 1.6 RRs.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:07 AM

heads ported huh, what kinda money is that? this is my daily driver, however i car pool with a guy from work, so i could be without it for a week or so.... maybe more.. depending on how i worked things out... what kinda HP would the porting give?
Old 07-27-2004, 10:13 AM

It would really wake up your cam. Not absolutely necessary since it will cost atleast $500. But deffiantly recommended.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:17 AM

With that cam and LT headers I'm gonna say you'll make around 330rwhp, give or take a few. With a good P&P on your heads your looking at probably 380-390rwhp give or take. This also is including a good tune with both setups. Mail order should suffice, but you'll get more out of a dyno tune.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:23 AM

what if i get it ported and polished what all would that mean?
Old 07-27-2004, 10:26 AM

also, how much? just the heads or the intake too?
Old 07-27-2004, 10:33 AM

Man dont worry about the heads and intake, you will be fine for now.

Its like this...well im putting headers in the car, well to take full advantage of them, you need a cam. Oh wait, since i have a cam, now i need heads. Gee, what good are heads without compression and more cubes. 383 here i come! What!?!, a cast bottom end 383, NO WAY DUDE, you need NAWS. Here I come to the 4 bolt mains, 4340, billet rods etc etc.

Get my drift? Everything has something else after it, go in stages and have fun. Anyways, with the cam and longtubes, shoot for 330-340 in my opinion
Old 07-27-2004, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by atljar
Its like this...well im putting headers in the car, well to take full advantage of them, you need a cam. Oh wait, since i have a cam, now i need heads. Gee, what good are heads without compression and more cubes. 383 here i come! What!?!, a cast bottom end 383, NO WAY DUDE, you need NAWS. Here I come to the 4 bolt mains, 4340, billet rods etc etc.
Shhhh you let the cat out of the bag, my wife will be furious that I could have done it a little at a time....
Old 07-27-2004, 10:49 AM

Arrow Re: Horsepower gains from cam..?

Originally Posted by atljar
Man dont worry about the heads and intake, you will be fine for now.

Get my drift? Everything has something else after it, go in stages and have fun. Anyways, with the cam and longtubes, shoot for 330-340 in my opinion
I totally agree with atljar!
Just do a cam and LTs. With good exhaust and tuning you can gain as much as 80 RWHP with those two alone.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:09 AM

Once I get my tuning I will be able to tell you what you need to know.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:10 AM

hmmm alrighty, although idont know of any place around here to do a tune, and its hard to ship anything off since i would only have a week to get it there, dont and back...
Old 07-27-2004, 11:15 AM

You could get a spare ECM and send it off as the core while youre driving around on yours, sometimes you can get the ECMs from junkyards pretty cheap.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by WS Sick
You could get a spare ECM and send it off as the core while youre driving around on yours, sometimes you can get the ECMs from junkyards pretty cheap.

Or you could do the core exchange thing with Ion(Madwolf). He'll charge you an extra core for an ECM. Tell him what you want done to it, send him the cash. He'll ship the tuned ECM out to you. When you get it pull your stocker and install the tuned one. Then just send back your stocker and get the core price back minus like $5 bucks. That way your down time for a mail order tune is around an hour, or however long it'll take you to swap the two.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:15 PM

I agree, you can do it all in stages, but if you have it torn apart, go ahead and port the heads/intake. If time is an issue, you can buy a set of stock heads for about 250. port them and then install them at the same time as the cam and stuff. Then you can sell your old heads, and get the 250 back.

Quick Reply: Horsepower gains from cam..?