LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Horsepower Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 02:06 PM

SS not made in 95. 96/97 SS rated at 310-315 depending on who was doing the rating. This is crank HP. Which equals around 265 RWHP. The z was rated around 285 and the 95s I believe were rated at 275.

So I would conclude that if you consider 15% loss your talking around 235 RWHP.

ADD Hot Cam=15
ADD LTs= 20
ADD CAI=12
add'em up you have 235+47=282 devide by .85 = 331 (crank hp)

So you are getting 340 RWHP (58 more RWHP(400 at the crank)----which is really great.

Please let us know how you got it.

Thanks much.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:58 PM

I have already told you, and shown you, what and how .

I based all of my #'s on the what the car actualy made on the dyno.

The question here realy is, where do you base your numbers? Seriously, 15 hp from a hot cam? You really believe that? The car was using the SLP CAI that it came with, so feel free to just remove those numbers from your... um... formula? Yeaaaa, well if you take 15% from 310 you get a little over 260, but I may be off so check your formula again.
What are the results of your past projects? Can you share for us what it is that you have put together, and where the results average, above, or below?
Another critical flaw in you line of thinking is that every LT-1 engine ever made is +/- 5 hp . If you gave a tolerance of 10 hp, your argument was sunk by your own words .
Rather than establishing your self as the resident internet expert, you shoud stop giving advice all together. Your speculations are obviously unreliable since you continue to speculate even after being presented the facts. You are a classic example of how misinformation is spread across the web on any particular topic, this time it's stock dyno #'s and the hot cam kit.
I don't want to participate in this thread any more. I shared my "REAL LIFE" experiance truthfuly and acurately. I even documented my results. Remember: your results may vary. Build tolerances, tune, and condition of the car/ driveline make all the differance. I hope the original poster gained some useful information from this thread. I also hope that this thread shows you that the only way to 'know for sure' how something is going to react to your car is to do it.

....and BUBBA, you are welcome .

Last edited by 526 SS 96; 10-31-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by CANTONRACER
Which dynoshop and what type of dyno?

You know I worked at a dyno shop for a while...seen a few dyno?

Still find it funny when guys say their cars are stock...then once they start modding...what is this...parts on already on the car? Happens all the time.

And yes dude, SS cars where basically a bull**** option that ran the same as their Z28 counterparts...unless you were fortunate enough to get the LT4 option.

Wow...
I really hate to get into the middle of this pissing match, but you are way out of line. He said his car was a stock SS. You're acting like you don't know the SS option had a CAI(through the hood) and a catback from the factory. Maybe you didn't know? And as for the bolt on/hotcam M6 making 340 at the tire, it's been done many many times. You should read up a little.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by BUBBA
SS not made in 95. 96/97 SS rated at 310-315 depending on who was doing the rating. This is crank HP. Which equals around 265 RWHP. The z was rated around 285 and the 95s I believe were rated at 275.

So I would conclude that if you consider 15% loss your talking around 235 RWHP.

ADD Hot Cam=15
ADD LTs= 20
ADD CAI=12
add'em up you have 235+47=282 devide by .85 = 331 (crank hp)

So you are getting 340 RWHP (58 more RWHP(400 at the crank)----which is really great.

Please let us know how you got it.

Thanks much.
When math goes that wrong children cry! Wow dude!
BUBBA, your math is rather difficult to fathom, as you seemed to have pulled these numbers and the resulting calculations out of your ****. Usually I do not reply to posts which I find questionable, hence my low post count (had to add this in anticipation of your most likely lame rebuttal ). In your case however, I feel that it is my duty as a camaroz28.com user to tell you to shut up, because people like you are littering this wonderful site with bad information which leads to confusion.

Furthermore, I've seem LT1s with M6 and bolt ons dyno around 340 whp with a Hotcam. I really did not expect there to be so much doubt and controversy.
Maybe more people ought to get their sh*t tuned after major mods like cam install!

Last edited by meatfoam; 10-31-2006 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:05 AM

Geez: I was just expressing my opinion---and I did ask how the 340 RWHP with cam only was done. I don't care what the Dyno says, the basic idea of this site is to inform others how they can inprove their rides.

I just believe, from what I have read here that a hot cam w/o heads probably won't produce the number that it would if put together with some ported heads (i.e, alone, the cam does not contribute as much as with the rest of the combination).

As far a my "math"---I didn't expect that one would take my numbers so strictly, and for that matter, I was being on the stingy side just so that you all would be more apt to vigorously point out how 340 was reached in light of the concept that a car rated at 275 at the crank with a 15% loss or around 235 RWHP and now has 105 more RWHP was achieved with the mods indicated.JMHO
Old 11-02-2006, 11:07 AM

BTW Meathead don't let your mouth write any checks your A$$ can't cash.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:30 AM

And----furthermore----I, as well as others here, were responding to the original query i.e, how about a ball -park figure on how much you opine that my hot cammed lt1 would dyno???

When someone opines that it is a "fact" that hes should get between 340-350 RWHP a BS flag is automatically raised and one should expect some challenges. It is not a throwing down of the gauntlet---just a friendly challenge. So chill out.JMHO
Old 11-02-2006, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
LOL.. on cz28.com they sure seem to be
Without a doubt. Let's look at my situation:

1) mildly homeported heads, HOTcam, stock bottom end, SLP midlength headers, 2800 stall, PCMforless tune.
333 rwhp, 358 rwtq

2) Fully homeported heads, medium portwork on the intake, 236/248 .608/.578 111 cam, Hooker super comp longtubes, true duals, forged internals- 11.3:1 compression, 4000 stall, dyno tune.
330 rwhp, 375 rwtq- on a different dyno.

Damn, I guess I lost power, despite my car feeling a lot more powerful and having all these cool new goodies. Sucks to be me!
Old 11-02-2006, 10:57 PM

Smile

BUBBA, you silly goose, you...
You are such a post *****. All your replies could have been taken care of with one post.
Geez: I was just expressing my opinion---and I did ask how the 340 RWHP with cam only was done. I don't care what the Dyno says, the basic idea of this site is to inform others how they can inprove their rides.
Well, you did not offer any help! It is obvious that your primary concern was to doubt and ridicule 526's... statements when what he said was clearly within reason. He was the one that offered help, not you!

I just believe, from what I have read here that a hot cam...
Enough said...

When someone opines that it is a "fact" that hes should get between 340-350 RWHP a BS flag is automatically raised and one should expect some challenges.
1) See above post.
2) Why does this have to be about challenges? He clearly proved his statements! It's ligid, for crying out loud! That's how Hotcams perform with a good tune! Maybe you oughta shop for a better tuner if those numbers blow your mind!

BTW Meathead don't let your mouth write any checks your A$$ can't cash.
I don't even know where you are going with this! But as I assumed, your rebuttal was rather lame

And what's with the ? It's snowing here!

Last edited by meatfoam; 11-03-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:44 PM

Well....full exhaust i put down 292rwhp. Thru a 6-speed w/ CAI. Then w/ the hot cam kit i put down 330rwhp. so thats equates to roughly 40rwhp gained w/ just a cam, springs, rockers.

Also...who cares what the car put down, its what it RUNS!

Changing to a CC306 from the hotcam....i only gained 8hp, lol! So i also know that dynos change from one shop to the next.