LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Hotcam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:57 AM

I'm also in college, have a 96 Z 6 speed, just did k&n cai, pacesetter lt's, hotcam+valvetrain, true dual w/x-pipe dumped bullets, and a hurst billet plus, when i was driving it around last weekend testing, I didn't notice much of a mpg loss, bone stock i got 18/27, now i get about 17/26, that might add up to like 50$ extra gas $$ per YEAR of driving. honestly man it seems you are in the EXACT situation i was, do it, you wont regret it, its a nice cam that makes it sound better, perform better, and isn't radical enough to kill your mpg's or driveability. i love mine
Old 04-15-2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by 6SpdLT1Z
How much will I be losing with the off road y pipe? Did you have a stall in your hotcam'd A4? Any guesses for horespower/quarter mile times? I have a 52mm TB and the stock SS airbox. I wouldn't be revving it past stock and I'd be getting a mail order tune.
I am a college student to and have had a hotcam in my car for almost a year now, gas mileage is about the same no big difference. My car was on the dyno on sat and put down 288/307 with cutout closed and 297/317 with cutout open, but the car is in need of a tune badly it has a tune in it now that is WAY to RICH, so I will be getting a new dyno tune soon. All my mods are on my cardomain.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:53 PM

the hotcam is a great cam for what you are wanting. But the milage on the car is high on the car. Big CHANCE you will spin a rod bearing or a cam bearing after install. I got about 15 miles out of my bottom end after cam install and it spun the rod bearing and it only had 105,000 miles on it and well maintained.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by billymz28
the hotcam is a great cam for what you are wanting. But the milage on the car is high on the car. Big CHANCE you will spin a rod bearing or a cam bearing after install. I got about 15 miles out of my bottom end after cam install and it spun the rod bearing and it only had 105,000 miles on it and well maintained.
I hate stories like this. It's what has kept me from putting a cam in for a long time, but I'm finally ready to say, what the heck. A cam is going in this year.

I have 92k on my motor, maintained extremely well since new, and figure that if it has an issue after 11 great years, then I have reason for a nice FI motor with forged internals. It still would suck to have it happen though, so sorry to hear that.

Dan
Old 04-15-2008, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by 6SpdLT1Z
what'd you get before? I'm trying to 'define' how much of a lead foot you have.

Also, what do you suggest replacing besides the full kit. Lifters? Timing Chain?

Changing a cam with the kind of mileage you have would be a crapshoot on the bearings, regardless of how the vehicle was maintained.

I did the cam at 90,000 miles and changed my lifters and timing set. After inspecting the original lifters, I could have probably just re-used them they were in such good shape (same for the timing set), but I had new stuff so I threw it all in anyway. At 150k, I would definitely change your lifters and timing set. Roll the pushrods across a flat surface as well and see if they're true. I had a couple that had a hairline wobble to them so I changed them out also.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:52 PM

im not trying to discourage you from the cam swap. just letting you no that there is more of a chance to spin bearings on the higher milage motor. I indstalled new lifters and timing set also but it still let go. Yes on the bright side i did build a all forged motor now.Just think you should be aware of all the possibilitys if you should decide to do the cam swap. If you have a 2nd vehicle deffently go for it. If not i would wait until u have one or the money for a rebuild if the unfortanate happens.