LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Hotcam Checklist? v.2

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:47 AM

Hotcam Checklist? v.2

Continued from: https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=632009

Alright, the guy took my offer on the hotcam. My money order is going out today.

1997 Camaro SS M6
150,300 miles, Mobil 1 5w30 all it's life.
Pretty much fully loaded: Torsen, Oil Cooler, 2otl, etc.
Mods: Edelbrock TES Headers, Edelbrock 52mm TB, 1LE Intake Elbow, TB Airfoil, K&N in Ram Air Box, !AIR, !EGR (valve will come out when I do cam swap), TB Bypass, Suspension, LS1 Aluminum Driveshaft

Goals:
330-340 rwhp tuned. I'm not super worried about it. I know I'll feel a all around power increase, and it'll have a nice idle. This is just for me to play with while I'm in school then I'll step up to a bigger cam when I build my motor after I get out of school. So obviously, I'm on a tight budget. I won't run it at the track much (been twice in a year and a half) but if I got a 12.9 on street tires I'd be happy.

Parts List:
Name:  hotcam.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  64.7 KB
The $300 for rockers is the price for the hotcam, rockers, retainers, keepers, and springs. Also the X by the oil and valve covers signifies I already have them.

I am also going to replace the lifters, yet haven't decided which ones. Also, if you see somewhere I can save money, awesome, let me know. Let's not debate tunes, I just put that in there to help with my cost figuring. I may have the local tuner do it, I've got to send him a message and get a idea what his rate is.

Questions:
1. Would it be worthwhile to upgrade to a LT4 timing chain? ~$180
2. What lifters do you suggest? LS7? Just GMPP?
3. What parts should I look at that aren't in my list? (Ex: Felpro manifold gasket, etc.)
Old 09-09-2008, 10:45 AM

Just glancing, I would not use Proform rockers. Seen lots of threads that are not very flattering and even some damage. Most (maybe all) of their stuff is Chinese knock-offs.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Just glancing, I would not use Proform rockers. Seen lots of threads that are not very flattering and even some damage. Most (maybe all) of their stuff is Chinese knock-offs.
Anything else? I've got some time (~May) before I do this so if I can get a decent price for 'em I'll sell 'em and pick up something else. They're brand new and I bought them with the cam.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:30 AM

If your getting that stuff from GMpartsdirect, you should add your shipping charges in as part of your cost.

Front crank seal?

Did the seller not have Crane rockers that came with the HOT kit?

Don't worry about spending money on lifters if there is nothing wrong with what you have.

Your goals are very realistic. Good luck getting everything done.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:16 PM

wow eric i completely overlooked the rockers, I just assumed it would have had the crane's.

I think he should replace the lifters at his mileage.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:31 PM

Get this timingcover gasket set:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...6&autoview=sku

Comes with TC and WP gaskets, opti o-ring and all the seals for TC.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeOiler
If your getting that stuff from GMpartsdirect, you should add your shipping charges in as part of your cost.

Front crank seal?

Did the seller not have Crane rockers that came with the HOT kit?

Don't worry about spending money on lifters if there is nothing wrong with what you have.

Your goals are very realistic. Good luck getting everything done.
Alright, took out the opti/wp/timing chain gaskets and put the fel pro kit in.

No, I think he bought the cam/springs used and picked up these rockers. I'll look around on the board for opinions on them, and make a decision. If I decide to sell them, would I be good with Comp Magnum SA 1.6 RR's?

I think I'm going to go ahead and replace the lifters. From what I've read, it is suggested to change lifters when changing a cam, since the cam will wear a pattern into the lifters. Most importantly, my dad agrees with this. What is my best bet for lifters? LS6/LS7? What all will I need with the lifters to install? Also what am I missing? Assembly lube?
Old 09-09-2008, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by 6SpdLT1Z
I think I'm going to go ahead and replace the lifters. From what I've read, it is suggested to change lifters when changing a cam, since the cam will wear a pattern into the lifters.
that's true of "flat tappet" lifters, but it's ok to use old roller lifters with a different roller cam.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:52 PM

Agreed