LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Hotcam - What other parts do i need?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 12:59 AM

Hotcam - What other parts do i need?

Ok i'm sure some of you read about how I'm now getting a hotcam put in my car since it's being rebuilt anyways. So what do I need to upgrade with the hotcam. I've already told the shop that I want a hotcam installed but i need to tell them what other parts to get with it. I don't want to take any chances with my engine.
I know i need 1.6 roller rockers and springs but what brand should I get?
Do I need new lifters? What brand?
What about hardened push rods or do Lt1's come stock with hardened pushrods?
The shop is installing a new timing chain so I think i'll be fine there.
I'm going to get a pcm tune.

Also links or just websites where I can get this stuff would be nice, that way i'm sure i'm ordering the correct items .

Anything i'm missing?
Old 10-01-2005, 03:43 AM

Re: Hotcam - What other parts do i need?

Why didn't you go with the hotcam kit? Along with the cam it comes with the spring kit and 1.6 SA roller rockers. If your pushrods and lifters are good you can reuse, if not youcan replace the lifters with OEM ones and get comp 7808-16 pushrods.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:05 AM

Thumbs up Re: Hotcam - What other parts do i need?

If you do a search, you'll find a ton of threads answering your questions. I've heard some say that the springs with the Hotcam kit are barely adequate so you might want to get better springs to start with. If money is tight, you don't have to get the 1.6RR's, but you might as well since it's apart.
IF you decide to replace lifters, get the Comp replacements. I believe they are the 850-16's, don't get the Comp R's.There is a sticky at the top of the forum about the Comp R's. Some of the earlier LT1's came with hardened pushrods *I think*, so you may be fine there. Do a search to find out.

Call CMotorsports and ask them what they recommend on springs.

Last edited by Red 97T/A A4; 10-01-2005 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:52 AM

Just get the HOTcam kit. It comes with the cam, springs, self aligning rockers and I think some little things like retainers. I would ditch the springs that come in the kit and get some better ones. You'd need to leave it up to the machine shop to decide what spring would be good, or you could email a vendor and ask. Also, the comp or GM stock replacement lifter will work just fine with that cam. Since you're rebuilding, I wouldn't re-use the stockers.

What shop is doing the work?
Old 10-01-2005, 02:46 PM

RPM is doing the work
I did do a search and I was thinking about just getting the hotcam kit but I read the springs have very little clearance before binding. Also I couldnt find a definite answer on whether or not you need to replace the lifters or if my car has hardened pushrods or not so i'd figured i'd ask to make sure. Also should I just go ahead and get the stock lt4 timing chain? I heard it's a little stronger then the the lt1 timing chain and it's only 70 bucks or will a new lt1 timing chain hold up fine?
Thanks for the reply's.

Last edited by blaze309; 10-01-2005 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:09 AM

Just get the HOTcam kit, and let RPM pick some valve springs to replace the ones that come in the kit. Those guys really know what they are doing. As I said, I would definitely replace the lifters since you are rebuilding. Stock replacements will be more fine with that cam. I re-used my pushrods with the HOTcam, so if you are thinking about doing that I think you'll be ok. I got the LT4 extreme duty timing set for my car during the rebuild and really like it. When I did my HOTcam I just put a new LT1 chain on it, and after 10k miles saw more slack in it than I wanted to see. If you are still running the stock waterpump I would definitely go LT4 E.D. timing set, if using an electric pump it's your choice but I would personally still get the LT4 set since it's stronger than stock.