LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How Abusive Are You On Your Stock-Bottom LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 08:32 PM

I put 45,000 miles driving it during the summers and enjoying the power whenever the opportunity arised. I have a lead foot and the car was quite relable. with the head cam package going in, ill be spinning well over 6000rpm. We will see how durable the stock bottom end is.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:52 PM

i was trying to think of the best way to put it and i think this is it, i got 2000 miles out of a brand new set of street radials
Old 02-24-2008, 11:55 PM

For some reason I enjoy hearing people who actually drive their fbody like they are meant to be driven.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:02 AM

its hard to rate it, i mean when im at a stop light i know everyone is thinkin the same thing about the car next to them lol.

i've only topped out my car once it went a little passed the 150 mark

other then that the only time i really drive it hard is when some 4banger rolls up and starts brewin some coffee for me.

normally: 2-3
pissed off: 10 full throttle lol
Old 02-25-2008, 12:17 AM

i dont beat my car per se
but on a bone stock bottom end and stock 10 bolt i have the limiter set at 6900 and am shooting it with 150 shot
and it has a cam and complete boltons with 3600 stall
and i have put about 8-10 bottles through it
and probly 100 or so dragstrip miles on it in the past year

but on the street i dont really care to get a ticket granted when a stretch of road opens up im always compeled to give it a little throttle
Old 02-25-2008, 12:55 AM

For the most part. I drive the car on a 1-2 scale, just sipping gas (yeah right..) because its my DD. When I'm, having fun, I'd say its an 8-9 because I'm not speed shifting or doing anything crazy, and rarely burnout () because I don't feel like killing off my new tires just yet. I do like take turns fast in second to whip out the back end a little. I always get a kick out of that.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:25 AM
Kaj

Originally Posted by truedualws6
Why have one of these cars if you are not going to enjoy the hell out of it.
I agree completely with you. I have a DD, that I take it easy on and try to get fuel economy. My camaro is for fun, so why baby the bastard? I think my car is more reliable the way I drive it. It's impossible to do the speed limit with a bolt-on/ power adder 4th gen anyways. I've had a highway patrolman get me one time and the first thing he said was..."I know this car get's it, and I know it's hard to keep out of it, but..."

Don't take me the wrong way though, I can only remember one time where I dumped the clutch at 4000rpm vs. 03 Cobra GT, that's it. I'm at 61,000 miles with all original parts (opti, waterpump, clutch, tranny etc) seems to have any wear, and seems I found one of those 4th gens that is possessed

This stock internal LT1 is the most dependable, most strongest running engine that I have ever owned. I'd have to say 6/10.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:32 AM

I've had my car about a month and have yet to put my foot into it yet. My first day of driving the car (Also my first day driving stick) I got pulled over for "Exhibition of Speed" for revving my engine.

The thing was though, I really just ****ed up shifting. The cop really gave it to me though, I think I ended up driving away with like 5 offenses.

Court the 29th.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:19 AM
Kaj

Yeah, been there done that. lol

I have never been pulled over in my black z. My red 1994 Z28 I was close to getting my license yanked, vowed never to own a red (or bright in general) car ever again.

back on subject though, sorry guys
Old 02-25-2008, 02:38 PM

120K miles, and I hit 6K everyday...but almost of my performance mods only start when my car was around 90K miles.

Basically, I drive the car tame most of the time for a few reasons
- Cops
- Avoid abusing engine for no reason
- Cops
- Gas mileage

But I have no fear redlining it for the following reasons:
- At a stoplight and anything interesting pulls up next to me. You have no choice really. You look stupid if some kid takes off on you at the light, even though you weren't racing anyways.
- On a nice stretch of road...all straight or curvy.
- On the highway watching as a car way in the rearview mirror speeding up like a bat out of hell...then right when he gets side-by-side...just floor it! That's my favorite.

You really can't feel what you car can do until you really push it. All those suspension mods, I only really feel them when I had to do emergency manuevers like a when 2x4 launched out of a truck bed in front of me on the highway. It's all reaction, but man, was really impressed on how the Camaro handled itself. Swerve to avoid the wood, and then went back to straight again...full control..me likey!
Old 02-25-2008, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kaj
Yeah, been there done that. lol

I have never been pulled over in my black z. My red 1994 Z28 I was close to getting my license yanked, vowed never to own a red (or bright in general) car ever again.

back on subject though, sorry guys
I know the feeling, I'm on my second red Camaro. On my V6 I was pulled over somewhere around 14 times in under a year. Only got one ticket though, for not having my license on me. So as you can tell, most of the times I was pulled over was for bull****.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by WestCoast96Z28

Basically, I drive the car tame most of the time for a few reasons
- Cops
- Avoid abusing engine for no reason
- Cops
- Gas mileage
same here, I would say I would rate my abuse a 3 maybe, breaking stuff is expensive.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:07 PM

I HAVE to run my car through a few gears lightly, then moderately until it is ready to go (I'm assuming whenever the tranny is ready mainly) Otherwise, it won't even shift if I" floor it. Something could be up with my tune as well, who knows? Even if the engine is warmed sometimes it just won't shift. I'd say I'm about a 1-2 on the scale right now, until I hit up the dyno.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:11 PM

My 96 z is my weekend and summer car. It dosent see rain or snow or anything below 65 degrees, and the t-tops are always off so with the exhaust I always like to hear her roar.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:17 PM

I have a pretty good sense of being able to tell what things can take and what is abuse. I run my car pretty hard time to time... but never to the point im worried about it breaking - im just using it for what its made for. I also drive like a grandma most of the time... but when im not, just about everyone around is very aware

id give myself a 7.5

Quick Reply: How Abusive Are You On Your Stock-Bottom LT1?