LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How to adjust throttle and TV cables?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 11:02 PM

Arrow How to adjust throttle and TV cables?

After I put my 93 together (94 swap), I noticed the throttle cable does not work right. With the gas pedal all the way down, the throttle looks about 60-70% open. The throttle body is the same one that was on the original engine. How did this happen?

Also, how do I adjust the stupid TV cable. The way I read it on the board here is have someone push the gas pedal all the way, then press on the TV cable's button and pull it towards the firewall, then depress the button.
I tried to do that, but something obviously isn't right. First of all, with the throttle open, I can't pull the cable more than 1/3 of an inch. (just enough to take it out of the bracket) Even with the button pushed.
I did it like that but the car shifts completely like crap. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Old 09-03-2003, 12:03 AM

ok here's what i do:
push in the button and pull the cable all the way back towards the fire wall. then ( on a stock cable it should have a cone on the inside of the lock) push it to the bottom of the cone and start from there until you find where you like it for part throttel shifts

did you reuse the 93 intake? i think the 92-93 intakes are a **** hair longer then the 94 + but i am not for sure on this aspect though

please feel free to ask if there is any confusion and i elaborate ferther

Eric
Old 09-03-2003, 12:05 AM

Re: How to adjust throttle and TV cables?

Originally posted by madwolf
After I put my 93 together (94 swap), I noticed the throttle cable does not work right. With the gas pedal all the way down, the throttle looks about 60-70% open. The throttle body is the same one that was on the original engine. How did this happen?

I can help with that one... I'll send you an email by the end of the week with the pics of how I and several others fixed that damn problem. All I needed was two washers and a nut.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by faded93bird
ok here's what i do:
push in the button and pull the cable all the way back towards the fire wall. then ( on a stock cable it should have a cone on the inside of the lock) push it to the bottom of the cone and start from there until you find where you like it for part throttel shifts

did you reuse the 93 intake? i think the 92-93 intakes are a **** hair longer then the 94 + but i am not for sure on this aspect though

please feel free to ask if there is any confusion and i elaborate ferther

Eric
Eric,
thanks for all your help with this.
I am not reusing the 93 intake... the only 93 thing on the engine is the TB with the TPS and IAT valve... oh, and the TV/CC/Throttle cable bracket.

I don't think I'm understanding this correctly. Do I push the button and pull the cable with its end connected to the TB? That's what I have been doing. Without it connected, it doesn't make sense.

And like I already mentioned, it just won't pull any further than 1/3 of an inch past the bracket.....

Thanks again guys.
Ion
Old 09-03-2003, 12:23 AM

Re: Re: How to adjust throttle and TV cables?

Originally posted by Got-LT1
I can help with that one... I'll send you an email by the end of the week with the pics of how I and several others fixed that damn problem. All I needed was two washers and a nut.
Thanks!
Do you also have a 94+ engine or is this a common issue?
Old 09-03-2003, 12:31 AM

Re: Re: Re: How to adjust throttle and TV cables?

Originally posted by madwolf
Thanks!
Do you also have a 94+ engine or is this a common issue?
Every 1993 I have ever seen has this problem.

EDIT: Wait, does your throttle body have 3 cables running into it? If not then I wouldn't know how to fix it.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:34 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: How to adjust throttle and TV cables?

Originally posted by Got-LT1
Every 1993 I have ever seen has this problem.

EDIT: Wait, does your throttle body have 3 cables running into it? If not then I wouldn't know how to fix it.
Yep, 3 cables. It's still a 93 car... with a 94 engine.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:20 AM

yup it has to be attached and its not more than a inch of total movenent with the throttel closed

all the ajustments i make are with the throttel closed then a test drive to determin if i got it right

also i have never had a prob with my throttel opening all the way the only time was when the floor mat was in the way.....oops

sorry for the tardyness in my reply
Eric
Old 09-03-2003, 10:33 PM

Thanks again, Eric. I got it all figured out. Shifts very nice now.
I was pushing the button and pulling on the whole thing, instead of just the cable. Now all I gotta do is fix the 60% max throttle thing...
Old 09-04-2003, 12:24 AM

ya, its great to have control over your part throttle shifts, by mearly a tug on a cable but its a PIA to get it right the first time.

well glad i could help out i some way about that intake maybe you could just throw a couple of washers between the throttle cable bracket and the intake until you get it right

good luck and i should be able to let you know how the programing works soon (I hope)
Eric
Old 09-07-2003, 09:38 PM

Madwolf, you have mail