LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How to beat '03 Cobra building on my mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 08:49 PM

Re: How to beat '03 Cobra building on my mods

I still say with a cam, a 100 shot, and a good tune you should be able to run mid 11's.
Unless he has a different blower on there like the Kenne Bell I can't see how how one with mods is going to walk away from you.
Now if he has that he could have 600rwhp.
You should both be in the 11's if he is just modded and it would be a good race. Or you can change your fuel pump and run a 150 shot for some extra insurance.
I see a lot of 11sec cars but not that many 10sec
Old 12-21-2004, 09:46 PM

Raced 1 04 cobra from a 2nd gear roll..... raped him bad with mods in sig.
(on the bottle ) pretty sure it was stock
Old 12-21-2004, 09:50 PM

Here is a local guy pulling on a 430rwhp camaro.

Yikes!

http://www.srvidz.com/VIDZ/TEMP/cobracamaro.wmv
Old 12-21-2004, 10:59 PM

A lot of you guys are out of touch. A cammed LT1 SHOULD run with a stock (the thread starter never asked what he needed to run with 450rwhp Cobras) '03-'04 Cobra.

My cam only LT1 ran a 12.4 @ 111.5 out here in AZ and my buddy's cammed LT1 trapped 112.6 in the same ****ty weather. These numbers are more than enough to run with/pull a stock '03 - '04 Cobra.

I know a lot of guys mod their Cobras, but that was never the question.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:05 PM

Agreed. I was just stating the fact that them modded cobra's are bad ***. You need atleast 400HP N/A and some juice to keep up with the modded ones. They run low 11's high 10's all day long. Anyhow, I am hoping to do the same thing. I am building my camaro for a mustang killer.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:08 PM

first things first, i am a GM lover all the way, but i have seen several stock cobra's run 113+ trap speed. they are pretty fast in stock trim. if you are going to drag race a cobra then yes a cammed lt1 with sticky tires should do the job. now if you are wanting to do a roll race, then you are going to need a good top end kit and hope that the cobra isnt modded.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by firetird
first things first, i am a GM lover all the way, but i have seen several stock cobra's run 113+ trap speed. they are pretty fast in stock trim. if you are going to drag race a cobra then yes a cammed lt1 with sticky tires should do the job. now if you are wanting to do a roll race, then you are going to need a good top end kit and hope that the cobra isnt modded.
Realize I ran a 12.4 @ 111.5 in 4800' DA and my buddy trapped 112.6 in similar weather. You won't find a stock '03 Cobra out here trapping 113. 107-110 is more the norm. I'm comparing apples to apples and you're comparing cars running in 4000' + DA to cars obviously running in pretty good conditions.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:19 PM

I agree with firetird. Racing from a stop and a roll are two totally different ball games.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Silvershark
I agree with firetird. Racing from a stop and a roll are two totally different ball games.
Nobody is arguing that.

There are plenty of cammed LT1s trapping 111-116, again, more than enough to run with/pull a stock '03 - '04 Cobra.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by 97bowtie
Realize I ran a 12.4 @ 111.5 in 4800' DA and my buddy trapped 112.6 in similar weather. You won't find a stock '03 Cobra out here trapping 113. 107-110 is more the norm. I'm comparing apples to apples and you're comparing cars running in 4000' + DA to cars obviously running in pretty good conditions.
my post was not referring to yours, just the subject at hand. i know there are some cammed lt1's running 115 trap speed, but they are pretty few and far between. if someone really wants to beat a new stock cobra in a roll race, for the most part they will need more than cam (of course all boltons as well). if someone wants to beat a new stock cobra in the 1/4 then like i said above, tires and cam should get the job done.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:54 PM

my post was not referring to yours, just the subject at hand. i know there are some cammed lt1's running 115 trap speed, but they are pretty few and far between. if someone really wants to beat a new stock cobra in a roll race, for the most part they will need more than cam (of course all boltons as well). if someone wants to beat a new stock cobra in the 1/4 then like i said above, tires and cam should get the job done.
Say what you will, but whoever said there is no such thing as a wrong opinion is turning over in his grave.

A properly running (read...PROPERLY running) cammed LT1 will run with/pull a stock '03-'04 Cobra. I pulled one 4 times in my cammed LT1 from a roll and a couple of my buddies pulled stock '03-'04 Cobras in their cammed LT1s.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:09 AM

I am sorry you bought a turd, but you can't stereotype all LT1's as turds because yours is turd.

Peace out brah
Old 12-22-2004, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by 97bowtie
Say what you will, but whoever said there is no such thing as a wrong opinion is turning over in his grave.

A properly running (read...PROPERLY running) cammed LT1 will run with/pull a stock '03-'04 Cobra. I pulled one 4 times in my cammed LT1 from a roll and a couple of my buddies pulled stock '03-'04 Cobras in their cammed LT1s.
im not sure what you are referrring to about the wrong opinion comment.

yes, i do agree with you about a properly tuned lt1 hanging or even pulling a stock 04 cobra. i never said anything disagreeing with that. those properly tuned cammed lt1's, typically have larger cams if not custom grinds, and a good driver, which is not something you see everyday.

when i read this thread i got the feeling that alot of the posts were making it seem that a typical cammed lt1 will pull a new cobra. like i said, that was the feeling i got and i could be completely wrong. however, if that is the general concencus, then i think that most are mistaken. a typical 04 cobra vs a typica cammed lt1 the lt1 is more than likely going to lose in a roll race. on average, the cobras bone stock are making ~350 rwhp while the typical cammed lt1 is making ~330 rwhp. now like you and i have both stated, that a properly tuned cammed lt1 will pull just about any stock 03-04 cobra, but average to average the lt1 will lose in a roll race.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by '93 Z28
Hey there!

This is what I got. My question is what to do to beat or at least hang with WHILE staying emissions legal.

1993 Z28 M6

4.10:1's
Hurst shifter
K&N FIPK
SLP 1 3\4" headers
SLP y-pipe
SLP Loudmouth
Hypercrap chip
Weight reduction
17 x 9.5 Zo6 rims

BMR STB, LCA's, relocation brackets, panhard,
Poly torque arm and tranny mount
Eibach 1.5" lowering springs

That's what I got, what will I need?

Thanks,

Jason

PS -- I know they have 390 hp at the fly, but their times don't seem to match that horse. I would like to be able to do it on the street and not necessarily the strip.

for the most part, i dont think that there is a cammed lt1 that is not stripped down that will be able to pull a stock cobra with the conditions above.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:21 AM

im not sure what you are referrring to about the wrong opinion comment.

yes, i do agree with you about a properly tuned lt1 hanging or even pulling a stock 04 cobra. i never said anything disagreeing with that. those properly tuned cammed lt1's, typically have larger cams if not custom grinds, and a good driver, which is not something you see everyday.

when i read this thread i got the feeling that alot of the posts were making it seem that a typical cammed lt1 will pull a new cobra. like i said, that was the feeling i got and i could be completely wrong. however, if that is the general concencus, then i think that most are mistaken. a typical 04 cobra vs a typica cammed lt1 the lt1 is more than likely going to lose in a roll race. on average, the cobras bone stock are making ~350 rwhp while the typical cammed lt1 is making ~330 rwhp. now like you and i have both stated, that a properly tuned cammed lt1 will pull just about any stock 03-04 cobra, but average to average the lt1 will lose in a roll race.
We will just have to agree to disagree. I have seen cammed LT1s run too strong way too many times and pull said Cobras too many times to agree. There are a lot of guys who don't know how to mod/tune/drive LT1s, but take a competent person modding/driving a LT1 and you should pull a stock '03 - '04 Cobra. The only variable for the '03 Cobra is the driver. You're talking about LT1s which could have improperly adjusted rockers, ****ty tunes, etc. I use a properly running LT1 as a comparison only because there really aren't many variables for the Cobra, except for the driver.

Bottom line for me, give me a cammed LT1 and a 100% stock '03 Cobra and I'm putting my money on the LT1 solely because I have seen first hand how well they can run when properly set up.

Quick Reply: How to beat '03 Cobra building on my mods