LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How to beat '03 Cobra building on my mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 03:00 PM

Re: How to beat '03 Cobra building on my mods

You guys ever see the instant rwtq that Cobra's/Lightning's make? They do not build into it...you mash the gas and you get basically full boost.

It basically makes heavier vehicles run pretty well...
Old 04-08-2005, 03:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by INSTG8R
What exactly are you doubting? There are a lot of factors such as weight and driver skill that also go into racing. I am going by what the drivers of the Cobra's themselves said about what exactly was done to the cars. If you are doubting that then fine, I have no way of proving what they had done and what power they made. But if you are doubting the outcomes of the race, then you can put the bs flag away. I was watching them both along with a bunch of other people. My buddy put a complete *** whooping on the stock 03 and the modded one had maybe a bumper on him winding out 4th. Both races were from a dead dig. After the race when the modded Cobra (nice guy) was talking to us about his car, he told us what he had done and he was quite surprised when he heard what was done to my buddy's car.
Oh okay...b.s flag still waving.....
Old 04-08-2005, 07:52 PM

Cobra to lt1 is not apples to apples simply because one is blown and one is not. And dont say something about it having less cubes, because 70 or so more cubes doesnt add the extra power that a blower does. Lol this is a funny thread to read.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by z28stanger
Oh okay...b.s flag still waving.....
Another thing about Blown cars dynoing high is the fact that the power comes later then a NA engine produces power. Although with that much of a HP diff in the rear wheels Id have to say w/equal drivers the Cobra would have prevailed. But My car was trapping the same w/bolt ons" Exhaust/lid" as some SC cobra's that dynoed higher becasue My NA engine made so much power from the get go. I also beat my buddies automatic TT 300Z that dynoed 370RWHP and I trapped higher as well. His car was an auto so there was no driver error. Boosted engines dyno different then NA engines. The momentum you gain from a NA engine down low makes up for a few HP compared to a Blown motor.
Not to mention,once again ,the SC cobra's coem with a lightweight flywheel wich makes them dyno with less drivetrain loss. So some peoples formula for figuring out the HP numbers to the crank will be off because they use the traditional 15-20% rule of figuring as to adding in the factor that it has an 8lb flywheel" Less rotating mass"
I still love those Blown Cobras though.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by robb4964
Another thing about Blown cars dynoing high is the fact that the power comes later then a NA engine produces power. ... Boosted engines dyno different then NA engines. The momentum you gain from a NA engine down low makes up for a few HP compared to a Blown motor.
i would have to disagree, if im understanding you correctly. are you saying that a NA motor will make more power in lower rpm's and a boosted motor will make more horsepower at higher rpm's?
Old 04-09-2005, 03:50 AM

APPLES TO ORANGES,APPLES TO ORANGES,APPLES TO ORANGES,APPLES TO ORANGES,APPLES TO ORANGES,APPLES TO ORANGES, <-apple <-orange

this shouldnt even be comparable..simply put..a mustang NEEDS a blower to be something..without it..its not ****..but since it has it..it is ****..heads/cam vs. blower is stupid..thats like comparing the best drummer to the best guitarist(its late i couldnt think of anything else)....you cant compare them.....and your right a few mods gives the cobra a gazillion HP...who cares?..its the blower thats doing all the work..look at the imports..every fast one is turbo...like a supra..you dont see any NON TURBO 2JZ supras spanking anything...now add a turbo and you got something..cobra..aint ****...supercharger..got something...you just cant compare these two cars....is anyone following? or am i just rambling off...(it is 4am and im over tired)
Old 04-09-2005, 04:11 AM

I totally agree with you. There is a lot to be said for a 400rwhp N/A car. Blowers and Turbo's are over rated. You can make anything go fast when ya start adding forced induction.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:45 AM

"APPLES TO ORANGES"

Well, they're both cars, right?
Either way, the dude never wanted to compare anything...he just wants to know how to spank its ***...not why it's fast and if it should be respected. I think we can all agree..screw those damn blown Mustangs...what do we need to do to blow their doors off? right? right. By the way, those damn blown Cobras are bad-***.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:16 PM

Run what you brung, and hope you brung enough.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by firetird
i would have to disagree, if im understanding you correctly. are you saying that a NA motor will make more power in lower rpm's and a boosted motor will make more horsepower at higher rpm's?
Yes thats exact what im saying. Most of the time thats how it works. The faster then engine turns the more Boost you got, the more ait you can push thrue the motor. Simple concept.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by TransAm396
APPLES TO ORANGES,APPLES TO ORANGES,APPLES TO ORANGES,APPLES TO ORANGES,APPLES TO ORANGES,APPLES TO ORANGES, <-apple <-orange

this shouldnt even be comparable..simply put..a mustang NEEDS a blower to be something..without it..its not ****..but since it has it..it is ****..heads/cam vs. blower is stupid..thats like comparing the best drummer to the best guitarist(its late i couldnt think of anything else)....you cant compare them.....and your right a few mods gives the cobra a gazillion HP...who cares?..its the blower thats doing all the work..look at the imports..every fast one is turbo...like a supra..you dont see any NON TURBO 2JZ supras spanking anything...now add a turbo and you got something..cobra..aint ****...supercharger..got something...you just cant compare these two cars....is anyone following? or am i just rambling off...(it is 4am and im over tired)
Actually ford could have built an Engine as strong but they chose a simple way to build a high HP car. Starting from a clean slate they could have built a 350HP engine for the Cobra but if they just forged the hell out of an existing platform and Boost it to easily hit their mark, Why not? The cobra gets the Job done when ya get down to it.
The only reason F-bods get so much HOP becasue it made good Bizzzzznes since to use an engine already in production for their flag ship car.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by robb4964
Actually ford could have built an Engine as strong but they chose a simple way to build a high HP car. Starting from a clean slate they could have built a 350HP engine for the Cobra but if they just forged the hell out of an existing platform and Boost it to easily hit their mark, Why not? The cobra gets the Job done when ya get down to it.
The only reason F-bods get so much HOP becasue it made good Bizzzzznes since to use an engine already in production for their flag ship car.

ok..well it did it..and ford didnt..ford "coulda" but didnt..chevy "coulda" and did...simple as that
Old 04-10-2005, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by onlyone07
Run what you brung, and hope you brung enough.
I agree.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:54 AM

robb4964...

More power down low on a NA setup than a blown setup?

Take a guess when I mashed the gas on the link below?

Slowly built into my power...

You have your typical Vortech/Procharger setups confused with Eaton/Kenne Bell setups.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by CANTONRACER
robb4964...

More power down low on a NA setup than a blown setup?

Take a guess when I mashed the gas on the link below?

Slowly built into my power...

You have your typical Vortech/Procharger setups confused with Eaton/Kenne Bell setups.
Trust me, Im not confused. I know the diff between the two. Im aware of a roots blower desighn. It makes power from the get go but it still aint the same as a larger displacement engine down low.

Quick Reply: How to beat '03 Cobra building on my mods