LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How to bypass all accessories except alt.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 03:43 PM

How to bypass all accessories except alt.

Right now I have a Smog Pump delete, power steering pump which I'm not using (but is in place), and my alternator.

My short term goal is to delete the power steering pump, and if possible delete the entire accessory bracket. Can I switch over to a standard sbc "V" belt system, and just delete all those extra brackets? I'm using an electric water pump as well. Has anybody done this. If not is there away for me to keep the serpentine belt, and just have it run my alternator and nothing else? I've looked at a couple low mount systems..but.. I do not believe they will work w/my cross member (the lt1 is in a 69 camaro)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

My long term goal is to put a T-trim/Ysi/d1 on the car, so at that point I'll be needing to drive that as well.. I'm not sure on mounting location yet since I'm not sure if the standard lt1 kit will fit in my car

Thanks
-B
Old 09-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Since the "smog" (AIR) pump and the water pump are not belt driven, they have nothing to do with how to run the alternator.

With both AC and power steering deleted, the usual approach is to drop the alternator down to the bottom of the engine on the passenger side, and use the mounting brackets from Madman Racing (see Thunder Racing catalog) or sjmmanufacturing.com. That will require a conventional V-belt and pullies. The S/C will be driven off its own ribbed belt, and you will have to affix that pulley to the front of your stock hub/damper assembly.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:44 PM

just thinking if u use the an underdrive pulley that will put the balancer in front of pully and make a bracket for the altenator or use the brackets that fred said havent seen them yet but gunna check them out that should keep the serpentine belt. mite work mit not just have to try.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Administrator

The Madman bracket now comes with the correct ribbed belt that allows you to use the stock crank and alternator pullies:

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...id=166&sid=604
Old 09-13-2008, 12:12 AM

Thanks for your responses. Unfortunately I can't mount my alternator low because the lt1 is in a 1969 Camaro. I also meant to say AC not smog, sorry about that, but with that said will a regular Vbelt pulley fit on the balancer, which would allow me to do a High mount setup?