LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How can it happen without warning like this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 11:14 PM

Re: How can it happen without warning like this?

I have this same exact noise on my 3rd gen after a head and cam swap. Turns out my power steering pully decided to wiggle itself loose, so it knocks against the housing. Remove your belt and check all your pullies just to make sure.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:44 PM

1st step Take the valve covers off!!! to me is sounds like valve train. start the car with the v covers off, and you will almost gaurunteed see the problem.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:27 AM

That my freind is your rocker to tight... it will snap your studs if you keep reving it... then you know what happens next bent this broke that just take the valve cover on passenger side first should take you 15 minutes.. call me if you have any probs ill guide you thru...
Old 09-01-2006, 12:32 AM

It definatly doesnt sound like a "loose" rocker arm. They make mroe of a clacking sound. But then again, I only heard it with out the valve covers on.

Definatly remove the belt, and the valve cover. Then start it. You can kill two birds at once wihtout having to run it more than you absolutely have too.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:52 AM

Sounds like something hitting sheet-metal.....at engine speed, not half engine speed, so I would think not a single rocker.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:08 AM

You should really take a look at your flywheel. My friends car made the SAME EXACT noise after an engine swap. He also thought he spun a bearing. He pulled the tranny and found that the flywheel bolts were loose and thats what was causing that knocking sound.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:38 AM

Id take the belt off too just for starts, we were with a friend at a dyno tune for his brand new engine in his Cobra (yes I know totally different) and on the last run we all of a sudden heard this terrible noise, I looked over at my friend and you should have seen the look on his face. We both thought it was something internal until one of the guys saw sparks shooting out of the bay. Turned out to be a timing cover bolt had backed itself out onto a pulley. Hopefully this helps.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:27 AM

I hope its upper end. I put the motor in at my parents house because I don't have a garage where i'm at. plus where I am isn't level so there really is no good or safe place to get up under it, and there is no way i'm driving it to their house.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:48 PM

my motor spun a bearing and the ticking wasnt that fast and it was a deeper tone. it has to be something else with the valvetrain or exhaust leak. take down the oil pan and see if a rod is loose, i doubt it though.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:00 PM

What rockers are you running? and did you mod the valve covers to clear them? My old Chevelle had a similar noise when I tried a different set of valve covers...Funny thing was that it was fine for a few days and then the noise started...put on the old covers and all was well...pull the covers and run it...since you have to move the alternator to get the pass. cover off you can try the belt removal idea, too...

--Alan
Old 09-01-2006, 03:15 PM

It doesn't sound like bottom end to me at all. You have 500 miles on it, so something changed obviously and it happend over night you say.

Its doubtful that a lifter bled down over night and collapsed upon start-up today. I would take the valve covers off and take all of the rockers off cylinder by cylinder. You are looking for wear marks or witness marks of any contact.

I'd go ahead and yank the intake as well and inspect the lifters very closely. This just sounds too loud to be exhaust and too steady and consistent that I feel its something valvetrain related.

Good Luck
Old 09-01-2006, 03:32 PM

ok well..i dont know everything but..id think if it were a lifter it would have more of an intermitten sound..not a CONSTANT tap like that(please correct me if im wrong)...when one of my rockers loosend..at idle it was noticably slower than that..now..i cant tell you what I think it might be..just saying it doesnt sound like a lifter..plus it sounds deeper than something in the valvetrain..again i could be wrong..just something to think about..anyone else agree or am i making myself look like an idiot..lol
Old 09-01-2006, 03:57 PM

Having heard what a rod sounds like clipping a pan, it has a much deeper tone when that happens. I think it may have something to do with the air volume in the bottom end/ oil pan that makes the noise deeper. All the same I stick to my guns that its top end.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:10 PM

well you guys have given me some hope and thank you for that! I would MUCH rather take the time and money to fix something up there than to pull the motor out and spend a lot more money...actually at that point I won't have the money and will just have to sell it all....
Old 09-02-2006, 07:20 PM

well I pulled the valve covers off today just before it got dark and found nothing under the driverside cover, but found this under the passenger side cover. Notice the pushrod for the number 8 cylinder.

So, does this look like something that can cause that noise? Haven't been able to pull the intake and probably wont until monday. What I don't understand is, if the lifter collapsed then wouldn't the pushrod have dropped down into the lifter valley instead of staying in place?

Last edited by Chevycobb; 09-04-2006 at 03:10 PM.

Quick Reply: How can it happen without warning like this?