LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How can it happen without warning like this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 07:21 PM

Re: How can it happen without warning like this?

ah crap, sorry I thought I resized those things...i'll work on that

edit:images resized

Last edited by Chevycobb; 09-02-2006 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:38 PM

Why is there 1 old pushrod in your motor? The rest of the pushrods, that I can see, look new. That one is definately old.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Banned

Like I said lifters don't just collapse for no reason. If they are stock lifters they are probably OK.
Look in there with a light and see if the cap is still in place before ya pull any more stuff off.
I suspect ya floated the valves(weak springs) and hit a piston or that's a stock non heat treated PR that couldn't take the pressure.. Ya might have to pull the head to see. Do a leak down test on that cyl with the rockers off and see if there is air escaping. If there is ya got a bent valve for sure and some damage to a piston that will require the head to came off for a visual.
But don't know that until further checking. Make sure those two valves are the same height as the others with the rockers OFF.

Last edited by 1racerdude; 09-02-2006 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:02 PM

Here's my car is a loose lifter kncking on the cam. It did alot of damage to the lifter and cam. Got shavings all in the motor. Dont run motor until you get it fixed..

vid

Old 09-02-2006, 08:26 PM

yeah when I recieved the pushrods I either lost one or one was missing. I posted a long time ago, either on here or another board, asking if I could use a stock one and the reponses said go ahead. I was told that in 94 the PR's were all hardened so it shouldn't be a problem.
I'll still pull the intake off and inspect the lifter. The lifters are the notorious Comp-r lifters that seemed to have failed on numerous occasions with other people.
I took both rockers off, and just eyeballing it the valves for that cylinder looked to be same hight, but i'll look again tomorrow and see.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chevycobb
yeah when I recieved the pushrods I either lost one or one was missing. I posted a long time ago, either on here or another board, asking if I could use a stock one and the reponses said go ahead. I was told that in 94 the PR's were all hardened so it shouldn't be a problem.
I'll still pull the intake off and inspect the lifter. The lifters are the notorious Comp-r lifters that seemed to have failed on numerous occasions with other people.
I took both rockers off, and just eyeballing it the valves for that cylinder looked to be same hight, but i'll look again tomorrow and see.
replace that pushrod and c what happens

if it stops id go with it

also if it happens again id go with true onepeice hardend pushrods, but b4 hand check the pushrod height. usually if u keep bending PRs ur geometry is off
Old 09-02-2006, 11:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CamaroSS30thAnn
replace that pushrod and c what happens

if it stops id go with it

also if it happens again id go with true onepeice hardend pushrods, but b4 hand check the pushrod height. usually if u keep bending PRs ur geometry is off
Ya got the STOCK lifters?
If ya do PUT THEM IN. This will avoid a lot of work later. Stock is fine on most any cam except my custom grinds.

Just looks like the stocker couldn't take the load.
What is your spring pressure and do a leak down test before ya put it back together.
Hell to crank it up only to find out it has to come right back apart.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:08 AM

sounds like a knock to me, def not an exhaust leak. Could possibly be lifter?
Old 09-03-2006, 12:09 AM

luckyyou3 that was the cams fault, not the lifter.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:16 AM

not sure of the seat pressure. lloyd elliott would have to chime in on that as it is his LE1 heads and he put the springs on. I think I may have the stock lifters lying around somewhere. If I have them then i'll soak them in oil for a day or so and put them back in.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:23 PM

well I pulled the valve covers off today just before it got dark and found nothing under the driverside cover, but found this under the passenger side cover. Notice the pushrod for the number 8 cylinder.

So, does this look like something that can cause that noise? Haven't been able to pull the intake and probably wont until monday. What I don't understand is, if the lifter collapsed then wouldn't the pushrod have dropped down into the lifter valley instead of staying in place?

Ouch, that certainly would explain the noise. The pushrod will stay in place typically once it bends like that. Was the rocker beat up at all?
Old 09-03-2006, 02:15 PM

rocker had no scuffs or any other marks on it. I would take the intake off but its raining now so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

I found all my stock lifters. but I'm not sure how comfortable I am about using them if the other one is bad
Old 09-03-2006, 02:56 PM

rocker had no scuffs or any other marks on it. I would take the intake off but its raining now so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

I found all my stock lifters. but I'm not sure how comfortable I am about using them if the other one is bad
im using my stock 78k lifters with my cam , havent had a problem yet
Old 09-03-2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroSS30thAnn
im using my stock 78k lifters with my cam , havent had a problem yet

Same here. I actually drop a lifter a few months ago. I was bouncing it off the rev limiter doing a burnout in first at 6700 RPM's . I ended up buying 1 "sealed power" lifter at advance auto for $11. I was using comp PR's though and it did even effect it at all. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:30 PM

I have some good lifters if you need one..... I could meet you somewhere (since we live so close) if you need one today. Before I found out advance would sell one at a time I bought some on ebay that are suppose to have only ~30,000 miles.

Quick Reply: How can it happen without warning like this?