LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How can it happen without warning like this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 04:19 PM

Re: How can it happen without warning like this?

call comp or crane(whoevers pushrods you have), they should sell you 1 pushrod, they sell single roller rockers and lifters
Old 09-05-2006, 04:45 PM

The rest of the pushrods I have are hardened, but that stock one couldn't hold it compared to the others I guess. I just ordered 4 of them from summit racing...they are close so I can get them fast and cheap . can't hurt to have a few extras lying around anyway.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:53 PM

replaced the pushrod and was about to adjust the valves....cranked the motor, and the sound was still there. adjusted the valves and the sound wouldn't go away. I think that video doesn't really make it seem as loud as it really is. anyway...I drained the oil and this is what I saw. I'm not in the mood to resize, so here are the links.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...l/100_1320.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...l/100_1321.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...l/100_1322.jpg

Old 09-07-2006, 07:06 PM
Banned

Did ya do a leak test?
Old 09-07-2006, 07:19 PM

no, haven't had time to buy a compressor with work and hopeing to get this thing going before I go on vacation. Yes I still should do it, but I won't be around for a while and I guess it will have to wait until I get back.
But it looks as if there is quite a bit of metal powder in the oil. I poured out that pan and there were flakes what looked like copper at the bottom, I tried to get a picture of that but they were all blurry.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chevycobb
no, haven't had time to buy a compressor with work and hopeing to get this thing going before I go on vacation. Yes I still should do it, but I won't be around for a while and I guess it will have to wait until I get back.
But it looks as if there is quite a bit of metal powder in the oil. I poured out that pan and there were flakes what looked like copper at the bottom, I tried to get a picture of that but they were all blurry.
sounds like beaings, time for tear-down
Old 09-07-2006, 07:32 PM

I don't have the time or money to do this all over again. I was going to start saving up for a ring for my girlfriend and I shouldn't put that off anymore. Can't drive my work truck around anymore either because they just put GPS in all of the trucks...i'm just plain old fu**** it seems.......
Old 09-07-2006, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by luckyou03
Here's my car is a loose lifter kncking on the cam. It did alot of damage to the lifter and cam. Got shavings all in the motor. Dont run motor until you get it fixed..

vid

Holy shat why did that lifter do that!!!
What was the milage on that?
Has it been out in the past?
Old 09-07-2006, 08:45 PM

I really dont think thats the only problem your having. The noise is WAY to fast to be just one pushrod. Its at about crank speed not valvetrain speed. Theres a different problem and you likely wouldnt even know the PR was bent until the noise came on. I would look at the clutch and flywheel area and the crank area. It does not really sound deep enough to be a bearing and isnt slow or high pitched enough to be valvetrain. It sounds like straight up metal on metal. Kinda hard to tell but I wouldnt get my hopes up of that PR fixing it.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:34 PM

back in town for a while now, sorry to bring up an older thread, but didn't feel it was needed to start a new one.
I eventualy got around to pulling the heads to see if there was any damage to the heads or the valves from possible piston contact, and no markings, dents, or scratcheds were found. no valves bent. I have pulled just about everything out except the block and tranny.
the only thing that it could be that has been mentioned in this thread is a loose flywheel, so I guess tomorrow i'll get the car back up and pull the starter to see if I can wiggle the flywheel...seems to be the most simple way to do that
just trying to rule out all possible things to cause that sound before going to the bearings....
Old 10-03-2006, 08:01 PM

I have done the same things you have. Mine ended up being a spun bearing. First we thought it was in the top end, but it was just too loud. Then it could have been the clutch tossing a spring. During this whole process I knew it was a spun bearing but just couldn't believe it. I only had about 1200 miles on my motor. I'm not sure what caused mine but I suspected it was from hard driving at the track (I take the car to HPDE). So I had to tear it down, this time I put in a HV pump and a canton road race pan, including all new bearings etc.. It sucks because I had to put more money in the motor. I think the damage done from the spun bearing was about 1K, and then the pan, pump and of course an even bigger cam was the final 1K+. I think if I had been smart and put the pump and pan into begin with the problem never would have happened. I have taken it to the track two times since and ran it hard and it didn't even flinch... Good luck. I hope for your sake it isn't a spun bearing.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Clean97Z
I have done the same things you have. Mine ended up being a spun bearing. First we thought it was in the top end, but it was just too loud. Then it could have been the clutch tossing a spring. During this whole process I knew it was a spun bearing but just couldn't believe it. I only had about 1200 miles on my motor. I'm not sure what caused mine but I suspected it was from hard driving at the track (I take the car to HPDE). So I had to tear it down, this time I put in a HV pump and a canton road race pan, including all new bearings etc.. It sucks because I had to put more money in the motor. I think the damage done from the spun bearing was about 1K, and then the pan, pump and of course an even bigger cam was the final 1K+. I think if I had been smart and put the pump and pan into begin with the problem never would have happened. I have taken it to the track two times since and ran it hard and it didn't even flinch... Good luck. I hope for your sake it isn't a spun bearing.

thanks, but I do think that I am having that same gut feeling that you were having. the car was driven pretty hard. I kept telling myself that I was going to take it easy and break it in, but we all know how that goes when you have that much more power on tap. if I rule out the clutch/flywheel tomorrow then I guess it gets towed to my parents house this weekend. Oh well....at least this time it may not take as long as it did the first time.