LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How to check if my EGR valve is bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 03:42 PM

How to check if my EGR valve is bad?

also how hard is to replace it if its bad?
Old 04-08-2003, 04:01 PM

egr?

start car,push in on diaphram inside of valve,car should almost die.if rpm doesnt seriously drop,valve is bad,if it sounds like you are choking the **** out of youre car thats because,well you are,but then valve is good.but just because valve is good doesnt mean another component isnt failing.what kinda problems you having?
Old 04-08-2003, 04:11 PM

my engine light is coming on only in 6th gear, also where is the diaphram located.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:17 PM

Re: egr?

Originally posted by whopper
start car,push in on diaphram inside of valve,car should almost die.if rpm doesnt seriously drop,valve is bad,if it sounds like you are choking the **** out of youre car thats because,well you are,but then valve is good.but just because valve is good doesnt mean another component isnt failing.what kinda problems you having?
That will prove it is not sticking or possiblly stuck open, but does not prove that it will open with vacuum. The diaphragm could have a hole in it and it would act the same as you describe when you pushed on it. If you use a vacuum tester on it, it should hold vacuum.
Old 04-08-2003, 05:06 PM

Where is this diaphragm? Truly on the valve or on the solenoid?

Because I can't feel anything that will "push in" on the valve on the rear of the manifold.

I'm wondering if my EGR setup is bad too, cause of a stumble. Can't tell if it's tuning so I want to rule out EGR first.
Old 04-08-2003, 05:19 PM

Nevermind.
Old 04-08-2003, 05:20 PM

EGR

You can see and push the diaphragm in from the front side. There is just enough room to get a finger or two in there. Be careful if your engine is hot.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:27 PM

Rob, by front side, you mean the side of the valve closest to the front of the car?

If so, then I think I know what you mean... like little indentations in the valve where you can fit a finger or two?

If that's the diaphragm, and it won't move at ALL when I push on it, does this mean the valve is dead? I mean, it feels as hard as the outer part of the valve. I am checking it when the engine is off. Would it be differently with the engine running, or is it still a sign of a bad valve?

Thanks, and sorry for butting into your thread, Alex.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by JSK333
Rob, by front side, you mean the side of the valve closest to the front of the car?

If so, then I think I know what you mean... like little indentations in the valve where you can fit a finger or two?

If that's the diaphragm, and it won't move at ALL when I push on it, does this mean the valve is dead? I mean, it feels as hard as the outer part of the valve. I am checking it when the engine is off. Would it be differently with the engine running, or is it still a sign of a bad valve?

Thanks, and sorry for butting into your thread, Alex.
Yes, I mean toward the front of the car. The back is solid. It can be difficult to push in because there is a spring in there. The closer you can get to the center of it, the better.

Possibly even better/easier is to use a vacuum tester to put vacuum on the valve and then you can watch if it moves when the vacuum is applied. Then you will know if it holds vacuum and also that it is not sticking.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:57 PM

Great illustration!!! So, when vacuum is applied to the EGR while the engine is running, it should stall. Right? Is this because of the rush of excessive air?
Old 04-09-2003, 01:45 AM

I think its lack of air, the engine would spin faster the more air enters the manifolds...

(Someone correct me if im wrong

I'm also interrested in checking my EGR...

I just did my PCV valve, the old one looked sorta ok, but was pretty gunked up. Getting a pair of needle nose pliers helpd with that a LOT.

Wonder if my EGR Is ok, i'm troubleshooting a spurratic stumble at low rpm as well and have heard a bad egr could lead to it
Old 04-09-2003, 02:12 AM

Originally posted by toby360
I think its lack of air, the engine would spin faster the more air enters the manifolds...

(Someone correct me if im wrong

I'm also interrested in checking my EGR...

I just did my PCV valve, the old one looked sorta ok, but was pretty gunked up. Getting a pair of needle nose pliers helpd with that a LOT.

Wonder if my EGR Is ok, i'm troubleshooting a spurratic stumble at low rpm as well and have heard a bad egr could lead to it
if it is the egr valve didnt gm have a recall on it
Old 04-09-2003, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by Wild1
Great illustration!!! So, when vacuum is applied to the EGR while the engine is running, it should stall. Right? Is this because of the rush of excessive air?
At idle if you open the EGR, you will notice a rough idle or it will die. That is because you are adding exhaust gas and not air.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:49 AM

Didn't mean to throw a curve... thanks for clearing that up Shoebox. So, by applying vacuum to the EGR... we are increasing the amount of exhaust gas entering the intake. That will add "spent" exhaust gases into the intake reducing the amount of burnable air causing the car to stuble or die.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:50 AM

Ah yes clarity So i guess i kinda was right, just that i probably meant air as in burnable air

Quick Reply: How to check if my EGR valve is bad?